X

Service question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service question

I bought a 2003 Katana 600 at the beginning of the month...

It just made it over 5000km (not miles) on the odometer...

the guy never drove the bike...

what does it need service wise if anything...

i'm going to change the oil/filter

anything else that needs changing? mileage wise or time wise?

I've put around 400km myself on the bike...

I'm going to assume the original owner did nothing to the bike...

I would check your chain tension, air filter, and sparkplugs.

I would also check your air pressure in your tires...I bought mine and the PO had 43psi in the front tire and 25psi on the rear...not good!

silly stuff like that.

Brake lines only last about 4 years on these bikes before its recommended to change them...might want to look into that.(at the least check for cracks or signs of wear)

maybe check the amount of pad left on your brakes...

mechanically it should be solid with low km's like that but i would check anything safety related...I also found neither front or rear tire on my bike had a cotter pin in the axle nut to prevent them from vibrating off...that would have been a disaster if i over looked that and had one loosen off on me.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBuck View Post
      I bought a 2003 Katana 600 at the beginning of the month...

It just made it over 5000km (not miles) on the odometer...

the guy never drove the bike...

what does it need service wise if anything...

i'm going to change the oil/filter

anything else that needs changing? mileage wise or time wise?

I've put around 400km myself on the bike...

I'm going to assume the original owner did nothing to the bike...
      In this case, it's not mileage that's killing the bike, it's age. Probably needs the following:

Oil and filter
      Air filter
      Spark Plugs
      NEW TIRES: If what you have is original rubber, that puts them at 8 years old and hard as rocks. Really unsafe, IMO.
      Lube and adjust chain.
      Change all brake fluids and I would change the lines as well. Factory rubber gets hard after a few years. Upgrade to stainless braided since you're replacing them.

That's a good list to get you started. Valve adjustment is at 7500 miles, so you have a ways to go on that.

Comment

Tires tires tires! Get those God awful bricks of rubber off before you ever ride the bike...
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

yeah forgot about the tires....they could be brand new with the little rubber spikes on them....if they are 6years old they aren't good..

Rubber degrades over time....thats why i never buy tires on "sale" if you check the date code on tires that are "on sale" 99% are going to be old...and the tire shops know this and flock them out for cheap..

Comment

I'd change the fork oil while your at it. BTW check the production dates on the tires before you replace them, they might not be the stock 03 tires. They probably are but check before you toss them out.

If you do get new rubber, pete's superbikes out of Montreal has good prices, but being in Hamilton your close to the border. Use someone like www.usaddressinc.com and order from whoever has the best deal out of the US. At the worst you'll get hit for the HST at the border, I've been charged no taxes on 2 of the 3 set's of tires I've brought across the border. USadress charges a fee of $5/tire for delivery but even with that US prices are normally much cheaper than the local dealer.
            Kyle

Comment

Good call on the fork oil, brake fluid could probably use a flush as well...I do mine every season...
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
              X