X

Gas mileage and Winter Gas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by latenight View Post
    hmmm.. I'm getting between 15 and 25 mpg... I'm going to have to do some post searches
    Check underneath the bike, there should be a puddle...
    Pics
    Pics
    No pics yet
    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

no puddle! any other ideas? otherwise riding great

Comment

Jetted?
        My YouTube Videos
        My motorcyle map!

Comment

Remove oil fill cap. Take a whiff. I'll bet it smells like gas.

Comment

not jetted. does not really smell like gas - a bit under the weather so not the best sense of smell, but will change anyways as it is due...

Comment

I only just got 30 mpg... granted this is my first tank on the bike and it only has 1k miles and is an 06. Hopefully I get more in the future

Comment

So my bike continued with mediocre mileage, and then I took it on a 2-tank ride where I got over 40mpg. I figured there definitely has to be a leak then - assuming that the poor mileage was from a slow leak when I was just commuting 10 miles. I still checked under the bike and found no puddle - thinking maybe it was leaking somewhere inside the bike...

Then this past weekend I fired her up for a group ride, and saw smoke coming from the motor. The fuel was leaking out of the petcock and dripping on the engine (which was hot) and thus causing the smoke. Of course I shut off the bike and havent ridden since. I did a petcock rebuild a few months ago because the switch wasn't working - gas was always being permitted to pass whether it was on RES/ON/PRIME. Ths switch then worked fine, but I am assuming some leak began at this point. Now, it is a much more serious leak, but it ONLY occurs when the bike is running. The drip comes from the bottom of the petcock valves, not from any hose connection.

Perhaps I am overthinking this, is it likely I did the rebuild wrong? Should I just open up the petcock and reseat everything, or do I need to look into getting an actual new petcock?

Thanks for any advice as always!

Comment

Working...
                X