X

Center stand What's the trick?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Center stand What's the trick?

How do you put the bike on the center stand by yourself. I'm 6'0" 180lbs. I'm not huge but I work out and I can't get it on the center stand. I could on my Ninja. I had to get the neighbor to help.

Is there a trick to it?

I may do it wrong, but it works. (had to have the wife help me the first time.)

My bike is a '04 750, i stand on left side, grab the handle under the seat with my right hand, left handle bar with left hand.

Press the center stand down until it touches ground, level the bike using the center stand (make sure that both pegs on it are touching the ground).

From here i kinda pull back on the left handle bar, and pull up on the handle under the seat.

Easier shown than typed.

Comment

Similar to what F3tz3r said...

Stand on the left side of the bike.

Stand it up so it's balanced and upright but slightly leaning toward you, keep your kickstand down. (that way in case the bike starts to lean towards you it will fall on the stand and not on you). I you stand it upright completely you can lose control and it can fall away from you.

Put your right foot on the center stand and push till it touches the ground.

With your left hand on the handle bar and your right hand on the either the passenger foot peg or the grab bar on the back... Lift up and back on the bike as you push down on the center stand. I used the passenger peg because I'm shorter than some.

The bike will come right up and you'll be set. I also usually will go behind the back after and just give it a small tug on the grab bar to make sure the stand is set and not stuck halfway and your bike ends up falling over.

Don't wear flip flops or crocs when you do though, you need shoes that are sturdy so you can push down on the center stand without killing your foot...LOL.

Takes some practice but soon it becomes second nature.
      Last edited by WildKat; 05-20-2011, 03:46 PM.

Comment

yup take the seat off, grab the cross bar and pull up while pushing down with your foot on the center stand...
        '04 Katana 1200 - B12 swap, Holeshot Stage 2 jet kit, 2 bros carbon fiber slip on cut down, 5 deg timing advance, Bandit 1200 rear wheel/180 tire w/ modified swingarm.

Comment

First bike? Old rider that learned a new lesson?
          Post your questions, tips and experiences here so we can all learn from them!

I found this link very helpful after embarrassing myself the first time I tried to use mine. Fail to get it to work in public once and you will learn real quick...

Comment

pulling back more than up will yield much better results

Comment

what they said /\ im only 150 lbs soaking wet and i can put my 750 kat on the centre stand nice and easy just by doin what they said above.. pull up on the rear end with your right hand, pull back on the hadle bar with your left hand, and push down on the stand with your foot... not hard at all once you got the "trick" down lol
              if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

You don't push down on the center stand with your foot. You stand on it. Put all your weight there while pulling up on the rear handle (under the seat) and pulling back on the left handlebar.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Make sure the tranny is in neutral, otherwise the the back tire will drag a bit and make it more difficult.

Comment

Didn't think of that. You ALWAYS put the bike in neutral when you shut off the engine, don't you? (If not then just lie and promise yourself that you will from now on.)
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

My dealership actually showed me how to get it on the center stand when I bought the bike new. The thread linked and how people have described is how it's done. The bike does need to be in neutral. However, I don't always put the bike in neutral when shutting it off. Just when I'm going to use the center stand. When I typically stop, I do so by making sure the bike is in first, and then putting the side stand down which shuts off the engine. That way, I'm sure the bike won't roll of the side stand if I'm on a hill or a wind picks up.

Comment

That sounds like it will work. I'll try it tomorrow. I was doing what you guys say but I was lifting on the passenger grab bar. I can do it that with a 300 lb ninja not with this bike though.

Thanks.

Comment

When I put mine on it's center I typically just run the bike backwards then slam the center stand down by doing a front flip handstand on it. The trick is to get enough reverse momentum to launch the bike on it's stand.

Comment

Originally posted by manowar1313 View Post
                            When I put mine on it's center I typically just run the bike backwards then slam the center stand down by doing a front flip handstand on it. The trick is to get enough reverse momentum to launch the bike on it's stand.

Style points are important too....

Comment

manowar's technique is good for those advanced stylish people, but beginners should realize the mechanics of the stand first.

Trying to lift it up on one leg of the center stand takes a lot of hard work and is really unstable.

Make sure your foot is stable on the stand so it doesn't slip.

Be extra careful when; its wet, on hills, or naked.

Have your bike in neutral and on the side stand, then grab the passenger hand hold as well as the left handle bar. Stand with your right foot on the 'pedal' of the centerstand, adjust your foot so it wont slip off (it sucks when your feet are slippery and the bike decides against your will to take a nap on its right side, trust me). Put all the weight you can onto the stand and straighten your body. For someone like me (220lbs and 6ft tall) it requires almost no effort, the mechanics of the stand do it for you.
                              2006 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                              X