X

Can Kats Swim ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thetable View Post
    , although the consequences of loosing traction on one tire are much higher too.
    You wheelie in the rain? Nice!

Comment

So I jsut had to go to bike night at the Quaker Steak and Lube in Canton, OH last night. And of course with only a week of REAL riding experience dont you know I got poured on. What an experience. I will say I am sure not going to do that on purpose. I didnt mind it except the fact that I couldnt see a darn thing. The guy I was with was shocked how well i did. he has many years riding exp and said for a newbie I did really well. Not to mention being a girl he would have never thought I would hop on the bike and roll in the rain.

Comment

Bikes seem to deal with pooled water a lot better than cars do. Probably because of the shape of the tires. I really don't mind riding in the rain, but I get really nervous when it's raining AND under 40 degrees out. I'm always afraid I'll catch some big patch of ice or slush and meet the pavement.

Originally posted by thetable View Post
        Speed measuring devices don't work.....
        Seriously? I didn't know that. Not radar or laser?
        Last edited by loudnlow7484; 05-26-2011, 07:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
          Bikes seem to deal with pooled water a lot better than cars do. Probably because of the shape of the tires. I really don't mind riding in the rain, but I get really nervous when it's raining AND under 40 degrees out. I'm always afraid I'll catch some big patch of ice or slush and meet the pavement.

I'd be interest in that too.:bunny2
          Blackdog
          DRz-400e plated
          Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

Last time I was in heavy rain I laid it down trying to stop too quickly. Used both breaks, my right foot (after the bike went sideways), and my helmet (tried to create friction by scraping it on the ground) and still didn't manage to stop in time. Ahhh, sad images of seeing the headlight of the the bike as it slid into the intersection.
            Last edited by chrisgreer23; 05-29-2011, 05:49 PM.
            I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
            -Unholy m-
            Current project: Un-Katchable
            sigpic

Comment

I am usually good with riding in the rain...except for this past Wednesday night. I was racing home in a light shower watching the lightning ahead. 2 miles from home and it started to pour...like 10% visibility. The only thing I could see and feel was the crazy wind blowing me around and watching the waves in the "all of a sudden" 6 inches of water on the road. I made it a whole mile and that's when the hail started pelting my helmet. Everything in me wanted to go that last mile but there was no way it was even close to a safe decision. So, I parked it at a church and my friend came and took me home. Hands down, the heaviest weather I have ever ridden in.

Comment

Well, at least your helmet and gear protected you from the hail!

Seems to me like a good decision. I worry a lot more about visibility than standing water. Never know when some inbred-Jed is going to come barreling along and wipe you out before he even sees you.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I live in the Oregon where it rains more then it dont so i have learned to ride in pretty harsh rain conditions. When it decides to really come down and I have a hard time seeing I slow down to a safe speed. I use RainX and anti fogger for the helmet and have invested in a good set of rain gear. Unless its hail and there is a chance of Freezing conditions i will ride year around. Just use commen sense.

Comment

Far as I've been told by the PSP, radar is dodgy in the rain, due to the drops refracting the radar beam. Same for the IR beam in ENNRAD. Vascar and timing device (robic stopwatch etc) are unaffected by rain.
                    ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                    チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                    Semper Fi

Comment

I'm certainly not an expert on police speed detection equipment so I had to look up ENNRAD and Vascar. I've seen Vascar used on the PA Turnpike.

One thing I did note in the Wikipedia article on Vascar is a claim that Radar and LIDAR are illegal to use in PA. The article on ENNRAD (dated from 2009) quoted some PA statute saying that only PSP (PA State Patrol?) can use those. Any truth to those claims?
                      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Scout View Post
                        Far as I've been told by the PSP, radar is dodgy in the rain, due to the drops refracting the radar beam. Same for the IR beam in ENNRAD. Vascar and timing device (robic stopwatch etc) are unaffected by rain.
                        Hmmm..... so does that mean that snow does the same thing?

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                        I'm certainly not an expert on police speed detection equipment so I had to look up ENNRAD and Vascar. I've seen Vascar used on the PA Turnpike.

One thing I did note in the Wikipedia article on Vascar is a claim that Radar and LIDAR are illegal to use in PA. The article on ENNRAD (dated from 2009) quoted some PA statute saying that only PSP (PA State Patrol?) can use those. Any truth to those claims?
                        I had to look up Vascar, too. I thought it was a procedure you had done when you didn't want to have any more kids.
                        Last edited by loudnlow7484; 05-29-2011, 04:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by TobyT View Post
                          I am usually good with riding in the rain...except for this past Wednesday night. I was racing home in a light shower watching the lightning ahead. 2 miles from home and it started to pour...like 10% visibility. The only thing I could see and feel was the crazy wind blowing me around and watching the waves in the "all of a sudden" 6 inches of water on the road. I made it a whole mile and that's when the hail started pelting my helmet. Everything in me wanted to go that last mile but there was no way it was even close to a safe decision. So, I parked it at a church and my friend came and took me home. Hands down, the heaviest weather I have ever ridden in.
                          Smart move...... you get to ride again. Keep using your smarts!
                          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                          ------------------------------------------
                          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by TobyT View Post
                            same thing happened to me, I stopped, put the bike next to a building and went in. When I came out I was gratefull my bike was untouched and not sitting on it's side. While I was walking towards it to get back home, some prick came, hit the bike and drove away. I Didn't even think about getting his license plate, I was in shock and couldn't understand how this happened....

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post

Yes, Bill. Only PSP can use Radar and Lidar, municipal officers (like myself) can use Vascar, ENNRAD and stop watches.

Hmmm..... so does that mean that snow does the same thing?

I had to look up Vascar, too. I thought it was a procedure you had done when you didn't want to have any more kids.
                              Snow will also affect Radar, LIDAR and ENNRAD.

I tried to use Vascar to prevent offspring. Turns out that bashing one's self repeatedly in the groin with the Vascar module only results in pain and bruising.
                              Last edited by Scout; 05-30-2011, 12:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                              チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                              Semper Fi

Comment

Meanstrk's Kat

Looks like it did ok in the water..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Working...
                                X