X

LOOOOOVE new rubber!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOOOOOVE new rubber!

I just replaced my Michelin PR2's with another fresh set (120/70 and 150/70--stock sizes), and I'm loving the way they feel! My old tires had gotten quite squared off, and tipping into a turn was becoming a chore; now the response is absolutely effortless and once tipped in, the bike holds its line magnificently. WOW does this feel sensational.

I'm not sure what kind of mileage others have gotten with these hoops, but I managed 23,000 km (14,300 miles) on this set--almost twice what I've managed on any other tire I've ever ridden. There was still some meat on these and I might have been able to stretch them another 2,000-5,000 km, but it's autumn and I wanted these mounted and thoroughly scrubbed in before we got cooler, rainy weather in earnest.

I saw the hype about the new PR3's by Michelin (http://motorcycle.michelin.com.au/tw...oreProduct/313), but none of the dealers here had any installed long enough to get feedback over a Melbourne winter...so I stuck with the ones I knew. Heck, in another 25,000 km or so, maybe I'll give them a shot!
    High-velocity Geek

'06 GSX750F

Same reason I didn't put on the PR3's. I couldnt agree more, nothing like rolling on new tires again! Q2's on mine. Now if it would ever stop %$&ing raining!!
    My YouTube Videos
    My motorcyle map!

Comment

Originally posted by Omnivore View Post
      Same reason I didn't put on the PR3's. I couldnt agree more, nothing like rolling on new tires again! Q2's on mine. Now if it would ever stop %$&ing raining!!
      In OREGON? You're an optimist, there, Omnivore. I lived in Vancouver BC for three years, and I remember well the time I spent on the Wet Coast.

Riding in the rain isn't as much fun as it used to be, but I always felt planted and safe on my PR2's. Well...with one exception: I have a special loathing for the rubberized white road-paint they use here. I'd have to check the patented formula sometime, but I'm pretty sure there's reconstituted camel snot in the mix...

Ride safe (and good luck with the advent of Spring!)
      High-velocity Geek

'06 GSX750F

Comment

Originally posted by Absyn-thesis View Post
        I saw the hype about the new PR3's by Michelin
        Got 'em, love 'em, Any hype surrounding them is severely under rated. Here in a couple months I'll try to come up with a release compound to cord review, but for the first 500+ miles, they have been incredible. Great ride, simply amazing in the wet, from damp to riding through rivers, man these tires don't care. I thought the PR2 was good until I met the PR3. The more miles I put in, the more I like them. For me the set was 35USD more than the PR2.

Originally posted by Omnivore View Post
        Dude, you should have gone with the PR2, I put a set on, put 10 miles on, and then rode in some of the most tremendous rain I have seen in several month. Not even a whimper, even at speeds, um, lets just say exceeding the speed limit in any US state.

I have a special loathing for the rubberized white road-paint they use here. I'd have to check the patented formula sometime, but I'm pretty sure there's reconstituted camel snot in the mix...
        I hit some of that paint the other day with the Angel ST on the bike, and I would have sworn that they painted the lines with white lithium grease.
        Pics
        Pics
        No pics yet
        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I would have put on the PR2's but locally they didn't have any or were more than MSPR, and the sites I use were list prices. With the reviews and feedback from people using the Q2's they seem pretty solid. Thus far I really like them. They wont be able to touch the PR2/ and most likely the PR3 mileage though.

Yes, stay off the rubberized white moss strips they call lines out here unless you like adrenalin rushes. I noticed now they are putting some bump strips under them so you even have less surface area to slide off of. This friggin year just bites with the rain and temps. I think we have had one day that's made it over 60, and only a couple days without rain in 2011 (But it looked like it was going to rain on those days)
          My YouTube Videos
          My motorcyle map!

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
            Got 'em, love 'em, Any hype surrounding them is severely under rated. Here in a couple months I'll try to come up with a release compound to cord review, but for the first 500+ miles, they have been incredible. Great ride, simply amazing in the wet, from damp to riding through rivers, man these tires don't care. I thought the PR2 was good until I met the PR3. The more miles I put in, the more I like them. For me the set was 35USD more than the PR2.
            Thanks for the heads-up--I'd love to check back and see how the tread is holding up around the end of the season. I was sorely tempted to trust Michelin and just bite the bullet, but I couldn't find a local supplier who could get the rear in my size (available stock were snapped up quick around here). The last window of good weather for scrubbing 'em in was closing fast, so I went with the safe option. Good luck with the '3s!

I hit some of that paint the other day with the Angel ST on the bike, and I would have sworn that they painted the lines with white lithium grease.
            No chit! Most of my pucker-moments relate to that stuff in the rain. I'm gathering that since you went to PR3s you weren't too impressed with the Angels--were they 'just ok', or 'shocking--get 'em the heck OFF my bike!'?
            High-velocity Geek

'06 GSX750F

Comment

From what I've seen on several bike forums, the Angels are just ok. They definitely havent seemed to live up to the hype...

Havent run them, I run Rossos, but thats the general consensus I get.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

No chit! Most of my pucker-moments relate to that stuff in the rain. I'm gathering that since you went to PR3s you weren't too impressed with the Angels--were they 'just ok', or 'shocking--get 'em the heck OFF my bike!'?
                Angel, I wanted them gone, but with the mileage I put on, they weren't on there long. I'll do another thread on my thoughts on that tire.
                Pics
                Pics
                No pics yet
                Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Thanks, Scotty and TheTable...a tire review is always a good thing. I wondered about the hype, but I've never seen these tires sold at a price that would tempt me away from PR2 / PR3's. Given the mileage I'm getting, they'd have to be about the same price as a pair of runners to do that. It's gonna take some pretty amazing rubber, or a substantial change in the way I ride to get me away from my Michelins.
                  High-velocity Geek

'06 GSX750F

Comment

Having ridden on Dunflops, Pirelli Stradas, Metzler Z6's, Conti road attacks, and the PRII's, the PRII's reign supreme for my type of riding: mostly superslab during the week, and scorching the twisties on the weekends. The grip is better than any of the previous rubber I've shod the bike with, and longevity better as well. Just hoping Michelin doesn't take the PRII's out of the line-up anytime soon.
                    2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                    2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
                      Having ridden on Dunflops, Pirelli Stradas, Metzler Z6's, Conti road attacks, and the PRII's, the PRII's reign supreme
                      In addition to the ones you mentioned, I've ridden BT021, Roadsmarts, Storms (not the Storm2 though), Angel, Z6 Interact, and the Conti Force. PR2 is king of the all, and so far the PR3 is better.
                      I tried the Angels because everyone on the ZG/GTR forum was raving about them.

Just hoping Michelin doesn't take the PRII's out of the line-up anytime soon.
                      More likely, they will drop the original PR nothing.
                      Pics
                      Pics
                      No pics yet

Comment

In addition to the ones you mentioned, I've ridden BT021, Roadsmarts, Storms (not the Storm2 though), Angel, Z6 Interact, and the Conti Force. PR2 is king of the all, and so far the PR3 is better.
                        I tried the Angels because everyone on the ZG/GTR forum was raving about them.

More likely, they will drop the original PR nothing.
                        If the PR3's are working even better...and ultimately last as long or longer, they can drop the PR2's for all of me: I'll upgrade next time around.

Hm...I'm just starting to wonder though: If I get 14,000 miles out of a set of tires, will Michelin start losing money on this line of tires and discontinue them?

Thanks, guys, for the comparison! Looks like we're all onto a winner!
                        High-velocity Geek

'06 GSX750F

Comment

Hm...I'm just starting to wonder though: If I get 14,000 miles out of a set of tires, will Michelin start losing money on this line of tires and discontinue them?
                          Nah, cause there are people like me who go through about 6 sets a year, and mine only last about half that long.
                          Pics
                          Pics
                          No pics yet

Comment

Working...
                          X