X

first wreck... son of a b

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first wreck... son of a b

so i guess there's a first for everything right? before i rant about how it happened... i just wanna say me and my passenger are alright. i have a scraped up knee and a sore shoulder but other than that im good.

i was on a 4 lane road w/ 2 lanes each way. i was in the left lane of our two and the right lane was backed up for a while. there was a gap in the right lane to let people in and out of the gas station and i see this car pulling out. i slow down assuming he cant see my *** and then he stops about a foot or two into my lane waiting for oncoming traffic to let him out i guess. a this point i can see his face so i, naively, assume that he can see me. there was a ton of oncoming traffic so i thought there is no way this guy is getting out. im going about 10mph at this time. and, like a blink of an eye, 3 things happened at the same time... 1. i decide to keep going. 2. oncoming traffic decides to stop to let this guy out. and 3. the guy decides to pull out in front of me. next thing i know, im laying on the pavement starin at the sky. (ps whoever said wrecks happen in slow mo is lying lol) so he ended up hitting my front right side, we went right and my bike went left. the bike is actually pretty jacked up. (ill get pics up soon). anyways... the police were there in a matter of 15 seconds which is weird, so we filed the report, he was cited, and yes he had insurance. my insurance co. is in the middle of getting that report right now and should call me back sometime soon.

as for the bike... the poor poor bike...
    broken front under-faring
    broken front right turn signal
    broken right faring (cracked and scratched)
    broken bottom faring
    scratched (bent?) front left fork
    broken off left passenger peg
    bent clutch level
    annnnd im leaking oil... from somewhere on the bottom left side (not sure exactly where)
    im sure there's more random scratches and what not but thats the major damage.

my gear is perfectly fine. i was wearing my jr armored jacket, jr racing boots, gloves, and my hjc helmet. passenger was full geared as well.

my question to you guys is what are your experiences with this kind of damage... its a 98 750 and my dad said there is a possibility it could be totaled. i know plastics are pricey. what do you guys know about salvage titles in case it is totaled? anyone know of a reputable shop near akron oh?
    1998 Katana GSX750F
    “If you are not at least a little scared about riding your motorcycle every time you get on it, you should not be riding.”

Damn! Glad you and your pillion are alright!
    THE DOC
    RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
    mistake when you make it again.
    sigpic

Comment

Glad your and your pillion are OK!

edit: Bwahaha. That worked out well. Nice post Doc! I like the way you think!
      Last edited by MrBrant; 04-15-2011, 09:15 AM.

Comment

glad ur ok, did this happen in dayton?
        Chrome Project Part 1
        http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

Damn man, glad you both came out of that in good shape!

If oil is leaking, check if your engine side cover is cracked.

Comment

most likely will be totaled, when i looked up for a new right fairing for my 06. i believe 500bucks. and not sure if that's painted.
            "even one weak point is a weak point, DON'T MAKE ANY!" ~me

2006 turboed kat
            2004 marauder 800

Comment

Sorry man glad you both are fine proof once again to never trust a cage

Comment

So sorry to hear about this. I'm very glad that you are ok.
                It's all good! It's goody good!

Comment

They will probably total it. By the time you add up the parts, paint and shop priced labor I am betting your gonna be over 75% of your blue book. Katanas do not typically have a high resell value anyway.

Salvage titles depend on the particular state you are in. I am not sure about Ohio's laws but anywhere I have lived once a vehicle is totaled you have to get it inspected in order to receive a title that you can get tags for. Some states will issue a salvage title that you can use to get tags, and some will issue a rebuilt title to get your tags.

Glad to hear you and your pillion are ok.

Comment

I know in KY a salvage title just means you cant carry comprehensive coverage.

Good luck to you.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

dam man

sry to hear that a least your ok thats what matter bikes can be replace live's can't hope you get back on the road soon.

Comment

I'm glad you're okay dude.
                        Best guess w/ out pictures is it's totaled.

Comment

thanks everyone. i wasn't in dayton when it happened i was up north outside of akron. i should be able to get more pics up tomorrow evening but these were the ones i took at the scene. i was kinda of ampin from all the adrenaline and didn't take pics of the rest of the dmg. descriptions are w/ the pics.

1998 Katana GSX750F
                          “If you are not at least a little scared about riding your motorcycle every time you get on it, you should not be riding.”

Comment

that **** will buff out
                            glad your ok
                            98 GSX750F
                            95 Honda VT600 vlx
                            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Actually that fairing damage doesnt look too bad, I've repaired fairings in MUCH worse condition than that for super cheap. glad you're ok... on the positive, the bike can be fixed easily probably (and if you do the work, then for pretty cheap). On the downside, you have to do the work, and who knows if they will Just decide to total it or not.
                              Whats up KatRiders!

Comment

Working...
                              X