X

Looking to purchas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to purchas

I'm looking to buy a new motorcycle. I'm a beginner it would be my first bike. I am looking at a 1999 Suzuki 600 katana and a 2005 kawasaki ninja 500r. I'll take any input any opinions. The suzuki has like 14,xxx miles on it and the ninja has 6xx miles on it. The ninja is practically new.... I'll suggestions on what to look at when I'm inspecting them too. I will be checking the ninja out tomorrow and the Katana out on Saturday. Prices are Katana $2500 and the ninja $2800.

Thanks in advance for any input

I had a similar year ninja 250 less power but same basic body work and stuff I got a 93 kat 600 payed less for it then what I sold my 250 for and I love it. I'm not sure how the newer kats are but the kat was much more comfortable I'm kinda a big guy and the ninja just didn't fit me right. But it all depends on what you think afterall it is your bike. Test ride both of them to see which you like better. I think the kat looks much better than the ninja though. There both good bikes

Comment

Thanks The used 51 I appreciate the post. Your right the katana definitely looks nicer.

Comment

I would go with the Katana if its in good shape because it is more stable with the full fairings & the extra weight.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback jeremy what key points would you suggest I inspect on both but particularly on the Katana since it's a little bit older.

Comment

Heh... you are asking which bike to buy on a Katana forum? Jk.. anyway here's my thoughts.

As much as I LOVE my Kat (also my first bike), I would definitely go for the Ninja if I were in your situation. I got my '93 Kat 1-1/2 years ago with ~19k miles on it (so basically the same situation you are in). As I got more familiar with the bike and read the service manual, I realized how much work needed to be done (and learned) with such an old bike.

-carb sync
            -valve adjustment (should be done about every 15k I think) -no self-adjusting valves like in cars
            -air filter change
            -de-rust and coat the tank - messy
            -clean the rust from the carbs and rebuild carbs
            -replace various rubber parts that were degrading
            -new front tire
            -new battery
            -and more carb syncs!

Not to mention the previous owner had changed plugs, rear tire, chain and sprockets just before he sold it so I wouldn't have to. It's difficult to verify all the maintenance I just mentioned without taking it all apart or without an experienced eye or ear - your test ride may not tell you much if you are new to riding or engine work.

These are things I would not want anybody to worry about their first year of riding - it really kept me from riding and learning as much as I wanted to the first 6 months of owning the bike. I had the bike in pieces more often that I was riding. I would have rather learned all this maintenance stuff over a longer period of time.

The Ninja, on the other hand, has 6 years on the Kat, and has a measly 600 miles on it (though it's also said that bikes that aren't ridden regularly tend to get problems, so test it carefully). It is ~100 lbs lighter and easier to maneuver. And 500cc is plenty of power for just about anything. Better gas mileage. Not to mention carb syncs will be a BREEZE with just 2 cylinders.

And don't worry about the price, you are probably going to spend more than the 300 bucks difference in time and maintenance on the Kat anyway. The Ninja will probably hold better resale value when you are done with it.

Enjoy your new bike, whichever it is, and remember ATGATT!

Edit: I am not trying to discourage you from getting a Kat, I just don't want you to end up with something more than you bargained for because of inexperience (like I did) - the same cautions go with any old vehicle.
            Last edited by rolofung; 03-04-2011, 04:12 AM.
            1993 GSX750F

Comment

I'm partial to the ninja 500. Due to the weight of the Kat, power wise the will feel the same. But the 500 has a hella fun top end. Bast 7K its like a whole new motor. It only has 2 carbs as well ( cause its a inline twin ) But with only 600 miles you will need to clean those carbs like no tomorrow. But once thats done its a great bike.

The Katana offers more wind protection and the 600 has a more "sporty" seating position than the 500.

either way, they would both be good bikes. Just get one and enjoy riding!
              '04 Katana 1200 - B12 swap, Holeshot Stage 2 jet kit, 2 bros carbon fiber slip on cut down, 5 deg timing advance, Bandit 1200 rear wheel/180 tire w/ modified swingarm.

Comment

Working...
              X