Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Using my Kat to deliver newspapers. Advice?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using my Kat to deliver newspapers. Advice?

Hey guys if ya didn't know I'm working two jobs at the moment. A day retail mgr and at night a newspaper courier. I have 104 stops on my route. Now my vehicles include a ram v8 and a firebird formula. So I've been using my gf's 96 Toyota corolla. It's been going well but this week shes gotta go out of town for a few days so I'm left with two options. Use the ram, ugh or maybe use my bike.
    Pros- great fuel Econ and would be quick
    Cons- there are some gravel roads, dogs and it's at 1am so wildlife is out. I've seen 5 deer, hit two rabbits and a possium.

Ok so if I do this I've gotta be careful but does anyone have any advice for me? It's a 75 mile route that takes me through some very rural areas. Would hitting a rabbit on the bike cause damage? Thanks guys

Sounds like a decent idea to me. Are you planning on throwing them from the bike while moving? You can always keep a few in a tank bag to grab from and then fill saddle bags and restock as your tank bag gets low.

Ive hit a rabbit on my bike before, you barely feel it. Its more of a scare of something running in front of you that could make you wreck.
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

It all depends on what you're hitting and how you hit it I suppose. But it sounds like a solid idea, just be careful man. If you find it to be too much of a hassle just take the fuel hit and use the Ram.
      1999 Katana 750

Comment

i havent hit a rabbit... but i hit a racoon once... scared the sh!t out of me, but the bike just jumped a lil bit, and then just kept trucking... as long as you hold on, and dont panic, i dont see any small rodents taking down a kat

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
        "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

I have saddle bags

I'm lucky that I don't have to throw them. Each stop has a tube next to the mail box that I just have to stick the rolled up paper in. I thought maybe I could roll up the papers, put a small rubber band around them and load up my saddle bags and a back pack. That would probably work for the weekly paper, it's small but weekend papers are big.

Comment

You might want to see how the bags do hanging across the tank. See if you can heng them low enough to avoid the handlebars. That way they'll be in front of you where you can get to them. If it's going to work then get some clear shelf paper to protect the paint.

As for the critters, my wife once ran over a dead dog on the side of the road. (Long story to explain why.) She hit it dead on and just kept riding. The guy in the convertible behind her wasn't happy, though. The carcass exploded all over him!

Serves him right for tailgating...
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

It actually sounds like fun, you should practice on paperboy for old school nintendo. The rodents shouldn't bother you, just be careful with deer.

Comment

That's an interesting idea wild bill. It would be much better to have the papers in front of me. Sounds like small wildlife won't be much of an issue

Comment

Id say stick with the truck, carrying the weight on the back and constanly reaching behind yourself seems like an accident waiting to happen. Just my opinion
                  Green 2000 Suzuki Katana - First Bike - Project Link: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113759

Comment

Give it a shot for a day...if it doesnt work then use the truck...

Why not?

Comment

Left shoulder check!!!!!!
                      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

That's kinda what I'm thinking. I'll give a try one night and if it works, great if not it's back to the truck. Has anyone on here used their bikes to be a courier?

Comment

ooooooooh , Dude I hit a moose with a motorcycle.... rabits...fffpph !

lol
                          load up your saddle bags and back pack and you are all set.
                          98 GSX750F
                          95 Honda VT600 vlx
                          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

A moose. Damn!

Comment

A moose? That sort of shoots the heck out of my 400+ lb wild boar story...but I did kick the crap out of a jack rabbit that was trying to kamikaze me one night.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Working...
                              X