X

Why a Katana?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why a Katana?

Let's hear some interesting stories! So how exactly did you find yourself on a Katana?

I picked mine out in '06, last year they were made. I had no money but didn't realize that financing was so much more difficult on bikes vs. cars. Walked into a dealership not knowing what I wanted; leaned a little more towards sportbikes over cruisers, mostly because I liked having plastic wrapped around everything.

Most of the sportbikes looked cookie-cutter, save for the Katana. It had a bold torso and a slender waist. It had an actual tail, not one that looked like a diamond of gym-mat over cardboard. I really loved the "grab bar" - but I would have called it a spoiler at the time. The headlights looked like it was wearing some ray-bans. Those front turn signals looked like tusks from the front, or perky nippies taken in other context ( ).

OK mostly I liked the price tag. The fact that it used "older" technology (as the salesman explained it to me) indicated that it would be more reliable, and provide a better learning experience when I had to start maintaining it.

Alas I didn't have the money to buy until 2010, but I'd already had my mind made up. Foolish but typical noob I thought 600cc sportbikes were perfect beginner bikes. Dealership right down the road had a black '06 600 with low miles for cheap. I asked how much they needed for down payment on a layaway. I came back a few weeks later with the $1500 they'd wanted - they still had a black Katana, but they'd sold the 600 and got in a 750 that day. So I bought the 750. And I love it.

You?
    The meaning of life is that life is meant to be lived

I was a sucker and didn't do my homework. The guy selling it told me it was a GSX, so I thought he meant GSX-R. I didn't know there was a GSX-F until I started trying re-build it. It'll be a good bike for the battle ax though.
    sigpic'98 600 Parting Out

Comment

craigslist had a 2000 kat 750 with 10,000 miles on it for 2400 or trade for a 4wheeler. it also said the bike came with matching helmet and bike cover. I called and asked him if he would trade me for a 84 Toyota pickup 2wd with 350,000 miles on it and it Burnt 1 quart of oil to 1 tank of gas I paid 400 for the truck when it had 310,000 on it. he was hesitant but traded even I think I got a good deal.
      sigpic
      "Horsepower has a tendency to break things, if your not breaking anything your not going fast enough"
      "The shortest way between two points is a straight line...Whats the fun in that?"

Comment

Because it was cheap, and I didn't care if I treated it like **** and absolutely trashed it.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I had no money and the owner said I could pay for it 2 months later... plus it was only $700; didn't run tho

I love my Kat but I'm pickin up an 06 R6 in 2 weeks and the Kat will be my winter ride...
          95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
          Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
          ---
          I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

I just wanted a nice reliable sport touring bike. Insurance costs are too high for me owming3-4 bikes so ss bikes were out of the question. I rode many customers and freinds bikes and although i loved the VFR800 and SV650/Vstrom I wanted an inline 4...I just love the sound and top end pull. The Kat was simple, reliable, cheap to insure and I found a great deal on my 98.
            He was asking $3800 with 20k,decow cover, new uninstalled tires chain and sprockets, brakes, helmets etc.. But what really sold me was the PO's log book. He bought the bike to ride down to Colorado for work. He ended up buyin a truck down there after dumping it on a snowy mountain after a month or two of riding. the bike had only minor scuffs and a cracked belly pan. He trailered the bike back and rode it only a few times a year. Every single reciept he kept, every oil change, valve adjustment, even spark plugs, tune ups etc.

I saw his add asking for $3800 obo...offered him $3200 in Nov 05 he declined...
            A month or so later I saw his add again for the same price, I called and offered him $3000 and told him the longer it sat around the less I would pay. I gave him my info and told him if he changed his mind to call me. Finally in January 06 he called me and admitted he had no other offers. I told him I would take the 4 hour drive to go look at it but was only willing to pay $3000. He said we could work something out....
            The bike was in Owen sound buried in a small shed covered by 4' of snow and the shed was 200' from the driveway. I had a lot of snow to shouvel just to look at it and get it out. Because it sat for 6 months the battery was dead and even with a boost from a boost pack, a few sputters was all it would do. It was brutal cold out and I pretended to check every nut and bold, and spent nearly an hour looking at the bike. I did this so he would freeze and do anything to go back into the warm house. Finally I told him I was willing to give him $2800 cash right then and there without hearing it run.
            it took him another 20 minutes of standing out side in the -15 degree weather to agree. but he wanted to keep the helmets. We loaded it in the truck, but before I drove away he came back from the garage with a helmet in his hands... he said he felt bad and if I wanted the almost new spare Nolan helmet , I could have it... I said sure and drove home.
            The helmet was 2 sizes to big so I sold it for $200.
            The tires on the bike were ugly cheap dunlop tires but almost nerw, I swapped them out for the new BT-45s i had got with the bike. I sold the used ones for $100
            So basically I got my bike for $2500
            Last edited by hardlydangerous; 02-04-2011, 10:26 PM.
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

#1. The Kat was close to what I was looking for bike wise. #2. in the price range I was looking for. and by far the best shape considering #1 & 2.
              Richard
              96 Suzuki GSX750F
              89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
              05 Yamaha WR450F
              05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

I was bike shopping and was tired of old cruisers, so I went to a demo day at a suzuki dealer. I rode an SV650, B-King, GSX650F and maybe something else, can't remember. I fell in love with the 650F. It was sweet.

Anyway, I couldn't afford a new bike, so I shopped for something a bit less money and similar. The Kat came up as a similar ride in my research and I found a year old gently used one locally.

The guy let me take it for a test ride and I fell in love. It was sporty enough to have fun, comfy enough to enjoy and easy to handle and work on. I like the full fairings and size too. My buddy with a VTR 1000 keeps saying my bike is huge, compared to his, it is.

It had 1050 kilometres on it and was 2 years old, he just replaced the battery because it froze. It wasn't even broken in yet. I paid a good chunk for it, but it was virtually new and a new bike was WAYYY more $$$$.

I have put 10,000 k's on it and like it. The only things I would change are the bars and I think I'd be set.

I am looking to get out of the Kat because I can't afford 2 bikes and I have burned out the local highways and I want to start exploring all the logging roads around here. Maybe throw in the little fishing rod and do some casting while I am out.

Anyway, my dream is to keep the Kat and run a dual sport in the off season, but I am not patient enough. I am suffering from bad PMS and could be happily riding a KLR in this weather around here.

Comment

Jet... the vstrom might be something to look at
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Jet... the vstrom might be something to look at
                    There's a nice 650 used one at the local dealer. It's FULL load, crash bars, cases, ABS, EVERYTHING! The owner took it to Alaska and back, BUT I just bought the wife a bedroom suite and can't afford it for a while. I would like to trade up...

I think it would be one of the best all rounders, but they really hold their value, even used, where the Kat, not so much. I think I would rather own the Kat and a KLR and split the year up, but for one bike - I have never tried a Strom, but I bet it would be a win in my books.

Comment

Price, and it was a beginner bike my girl could learn on.

Comment

Comfort, looks, fuel economy, insurance rates, very decent power for a first bike, aaand price - $2900 for a 2000 with 4,900 miles and upgrades
                        "Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death and as sweet as love."

Comment

Originally posted by Relheok View Post
                          Price, and it was a beginner bike my girl could learn on.
                          I disagree with it being a beginner bike... It's forgiving but capable of a lot in experienced hands, not mine, but a skilled riders.

Comment

Originally posted by kat_pilot750 View Post
                            Comfort, looks, fuel economy, insurance rates, very decent power for a first bike, aaand price - $2900 for a 2000 with 4,900 miles and upgrades
                            and fairly easy to maintain.
                            "When in doubt, throttle out."
                            sigpic

Comment

I wanted to get a bike, so i traded a HS Precision 300 WinMag rifle to a shooter for a BLACK 01 750 with 6104 miles on it.

That was Jun 11 08. its now got more than 25K on it

and I love telling how i got it...its the second vehicle I've traded a rifle for

See My Garage for mods...
                              T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                              Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Working...
                              X