No announcement yet.
X

College... What to do... what to do...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like several have mentioned ........... if you absolutely must do it, find someone close you can rent a portion of their garage.

Comment

If you must bring it to college... locks help, but I'd put the money toward full coverage insurance first, for my own peace of mind. Especially in a situation where your bike gets knocked over by some drunk person - locks ain't helpin' then.

*Of course then you wouldn't really be saving gas/money over bringing the car, but at least you can enjoy all the other benefits of having a bike!
      Last edited by rolofung; 01-28-2011, 02:29 AM.
      1993 GSX750F

Comment

before my bike broke down, i used to ride it to class all the time. however i don't live on campus, and so it was safely parked behind my gate at night. although at my campus, it's rather motorcycle friendly. spots of parking lots and garages set aside for motorcycles with cameras watching them, and some of the outdoor lots even have posts for you to lock/chain your bike to while you're in class. hell of a lot more convenient then trying to find a parking spot during the day with the car. that's my school though, idk about yours. i know there were a couple bikes stolen a year or two ago from one of the garages, but it also turned out the owners parked them in the one spot the cameras couldn't cover, and it wasn't a matter of guys picking them up, they just wired em and rode off i believe.
        2004 Katana
        GO OWLS!!!

Comment

my dorm has a bicycle shed that is locked and only accessible to those with a key. I went to housing and told them i have a bike to lock up and ive been keeping it there ever since... they dont know the bike i was referring was actually my kat.
          its out of sight, out of mind, and its under lock and key, what more can you ask?
          find out if your res has that

Comment

Where do you go to school?
            One of my customers is a contracted police officer for UD.He may be able to set you up if you're there.
            Wouldnt be ideal for commuting everyday but you could keep it here, i live in the 1st little town in the country west of dayton.

Comment

I go to school in Akron OH... so UD is too far away. my school doesn't have a bike shed unfortunately. i checked my policy and i have a 250 deduc. on comprehensive so if it did get picked then im not out too much $. im leaning towards finding someone at my rotc det that lives off campus with a garage. it's the safest way other than leaving it at home (which is almost not even an option lol) but im just gonna hang tight for now
              1998 Katana GSX750F
              “If you are not at least a little scared about riding your motorcycle every time you get on it, you should not be riding.”

Comment

Originally posted by Shreder View Post
                I go to school in Akron OH... so UD is too far away. my school doesn't have a bike shed unfortunately. i checked my policy and i have a 250 deduc. on comprehensive so if it did get picked then im not out too much $. im leaning towards finding someone at my rotc det that lives off campus with a garage. it's the safest way other than leaving it at home (which is almost not even an option lol) but im just gonna hang tight for now
                i have some really good friends who live in akron (grew up in cleveland) ... let me see what i can do... might be able to hook you up with a garage to store it at

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
                "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

Originally posted by PilotC150 View Post
                  Don't you always do this?
                  yea I do but you never no about some people
                  sigpic
                  "Horsepower has a tendency to break things, if your not breaking anything your not going fast enough"
                  "The shortest way between two points is a straight line...Whats the fun in that?"

Comment

The safest thing is to lock the frame to the gound via ground anchors. This is my setup:

Ive got a ground anchor in the concrete of my garage. with a squire lock and a Almax chain. from http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/ its a really good chain and a really good lock and the chain goes through the frame of the bike.

I think its the best setup but even with that , you only need a battery driven angle grinder and probably 60 seconds and its cut. if you have it next to the dorms near windoes etc you probably be safe. but I wouldnt lock the disk or wheel , they can just lift it off the ground.

good luck

the rule is simple. if someone wants to steal something they can do it. Nothing is 100% safe not even in your own garage.
                    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Ive had my bike on my college campus the whole year (Im a freshman) and has never been messed with. My school has designated motorcycle parking all over campus both inside and outside. Towards the beginning of the school year i kept my bike parked outside right by my dorm. Feeling nervous of someone being drunk and walking by it on the way back i started only keeping it there during the week or during the day on weekends. Kept in in the garage in a remote section for bikes only at night. This was right before winter and like i said for September and October the bike was out by the dorm almost everyday and night and never was messed with. Now that its winter i keep it in the garage. I used to check on it all the time but after a while of it not being messed with am comfortable with nothing happening to it. I left it there all of winter break for almost six weeks with someone only checking on it once for me. Im not sure what your parking layout is at your school but if there are multiple places to park it i would try to find a spot that drunk students dont go by and is as remote as you can if your going to leave it there for a while. Like i said i have never had any issues leaving my bike around campus although my friend who had a beater fzr600 was contacted by a mutual friend saying his was on its side and they picked it back up for him. Funny thing is mine was parked 2 feet away from his and were the only two bikes there. So maybe he had his kickstand set in an akward position.

I always keep my handlebars locked no matter where i park my bike whether it be outside my dorm room, in a friends driveway, or in my mothers garage.
                      Last edited by davedude44; 01-30-2011, 11:38 PM.

Comment

At SIUC a bike getting stolen is the least big issue. The majority just get knocked over or just vandalised if they get left over night. I have a friend that was gonna rent space from me for the winter. But never called. So I dont know what he ended up doing. My house is 20 min from campus. And I keep mine in my dining room. But personally i wouldnt want my bike near any big group of people at night regulary unless im on it. Ive seen too many get knocked over just because they were there.
                        Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
                        6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
                        5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

Working...
                        X