X

God doesnt want me to ride?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God doesnt want me to ride?

Ahh, when life gives you lemons, you probably just found lemons...

Anyway, doesnt it always feel like as soon as you finally make that big purchase, EVERYTHING else in you life is costing you money?

Bought my bike 2 weeks ago, and needs some TLC. New tires, new paint, new clutch lever, insurance, etc. Wasnt gonna be to big of a problem. Had to borrow 500 from my dad, so the idea was pay him off, then get the parts that I need.

Now when I bought my bike, my mom was furious. Being a college student, didnt care that much, and no matter if Im in college, or a 55 year old man, she'd still be unhappy. Her main thing was saying that I should be looking into buying a new car, not a bike. My current car runs great, so why would I want a new one?

Then this week.....
    -first to go was a flat tire. I live in michigan, figure it was just I needed my winter air, so filled up, then a week later, flat again. So I determined it was a slow leak, and got a quote for $15 to get it fixed (I know I could do it for less, but studying for anatomy nonstop, so dont have the time right now). I take it in, they put in on the hoist, and low and behold, its not a slow leak. They take off my tires and show me, they are getting worn down to the wires, ie, I need new front tires. Thats not too bad, I can get 2 new ones from them for $40.
    -But the kicker is on top of that, the way they are worn indicates one thing, I need a front end adjustment. That could cost me a pretty penny.
    -The next one is a bit rediculous. My car is an old cop car, so has some weird electrical issues from when they were tearing out the sirens/lights/computer. For example, my turn signals randomly stop, and i have to button mash the hazard lights till they turn on. I also have a lights kill switch (called survellence mode), which even though you wouldnt think that would cause problems, I feel like when they tore out the wiring, might be affecting turn signals. This stuff Ive learned to live with, but causes problems, because I cant trust my idiot lights because of it
    -For about 2 month I kept getting an idiot light saying low collant level. As I said, I cant trust any of my indicators besides my spedometer and engine temp. The temp was fine, so I filled the coolant with water, and it was fine, for a while. Then today was driving, dash starts making a ringing noise, and I look down, my engine temp is in the red. Luckly I was right by a gas station, pulled in, and got some coolant. Filled it up, only $7, and it drove fine for the next 2 miles till I got to my destination. Had no problems on the way back, but Im a bit worried I may be leaking coolant (at an incredibly slow pace). Im just hoping the reason the engine heated up like that was just the low level of coolant, and not something else. The heat hasnt really been that bad, so Im hoping for the best

-(Not car related) but with holidays coming up, GF wanting this and that, just ugh

I should be ok overall, but Im a person who when he wants to do something, I like it done immediatly. I want to pretty much have everything paid off by mid december, and start getting everything I need by then, but all this rediculousness with my car is just ****ing me off.

Just needed to rant for a bit, also if anyone in Southeast/midmichigan needs a professional wedding dj, let me know
    Green 2000 Suzuki Katana - First Bike - Project Link: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113759

been there done that. my car has 300k on it and ive had it since I was 18 which is soon 10 years. ive saved a lot of money doing all the service and repairs myself listing:

brake pads a number of times
    oil and oil filter every 10k
    shocks
    brake fluid
    calipers
    radiator
    thermostat
    alternator
    alternator belt
    timing belt
    timing belt tensioner
    servo belt
    muffler
    exhaust header
    plugs
    air filter
    gear oil
    gearbox o ring
    brake tubes
    wiper blades
    wiper motor
    wiper knob assembly
    a gazilion light bulbs
    gear box
    clutch
    some parts I dont even know their names
    hundreds of washes
    douzens of visits to the parts yard
    and a load of cash.....................

and this is a mazda 323 94'

this might sound like too much , but 10 years of use and 300k does things to vehicles. and being my youth car ive not exactly treated it with love. hence gear box change.

im feeling I have to change the CV joints soon too. all in all having a vehicles costs a lot more than just changing the oil and feeling happy. the only thing you can do to minimize the costs is to do it yourself and take you time.
    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Sounds like maybe your mom knew something about the car being in trouble and knew you should put funds towards that or another car first...

But what do i know lol

Besides your wiring issues with the car, you may have at worse case a radiator leak. def ways you can test for that cheaply,and its not too bad even at a full replacement if you get the parts online and do your own work like suggested above.

When you cant afford to have someone else do things for you,better find a way to get um done yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Fault View Post
        so I filled the coolant with water, and it was fine, for a while. Then today was driving, dash starts making a ringing noise, and I look down, my engine temp is in the red.
        Perhaps your coolant to water ratio is bad. In my younger days, I skipped the coolant sometimes and ended up freezing it. After the engine overheats, it's self correcting. As long as you didn't run it hot too long and ya didn't pop any freeze plugs, you'll be fine.

However, looking at Michigan weather, it hasn't been cold enough to freeze (If you have been in MI). How'd you guys get so lucky over there, I see it's 52F

1997 Katana 600
        Sold
        2006 Katana 600 Salvage

Comment

If you filled up the coolant and it gets low again then you have a bigger issue than low coolant, unless its just leaking from a hose. You either have a head gasket issue or in intake manifold issue. Either one will cause immenint failure when you least expect it. Make sure to check your oil and make it doesnt have coolant in it. If you had just water and it froze it could just be a freeze plug. Smell your exhaust and see if it smells like burning coolant and check the oil, thats where I would start. Hopefullly its just a loose clamp or a hose.

My wife asked me, "Why don't you make love to me like they do in the movies?" So I did and she got mad. Evidently we don't watch the same type of movies.

Comment

Yea I'm praying its not a head gasket issue. I've always had a slow coolant leak, so hopefully my coolant was just really low.

Yea its been unseasonably warm, but its dropping fast. Probably 25 out now
            Green 2000 Suzuki Katana - First Bike - Project Link: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113759

Comment

Check all hoses on the cooling system first. They are easy to see and fix. Check your oil for coolant. The change in color (swirls) will tell you. if you have coolant in the oil, get a newer car. It doesn't sound like it would be worth fixing your car for that issue.

Your parents are right. You should be thinking about a car, not a bike. A bike is useless in the snow or even rain, unless you are really brave. Look for a used small import, like a civic, and save money on gas and repairs. i know that would be weird when you live in Detroit.

I have had a few cars since my first. They were all imports and none had major problems except one. That one was bought from a shady dealer. My current car has 175k on it and just a small leak in the evap system that will not get fixed. It runs perfect and i just took a cross-country road trip with the gf this summer. Not saying don't buy American, just expect more problems regardless of it being an ex patrol car. I used to do towing, and most of the cars i picked up were American (usually Chryslers)or European.

My advise, sell the bike and get a reliable car. Then buy a bike when you can afford it. Gear is expensive on bikes and you could die easier if you can't afford any. Just in case you didn't know, you WILL fall one day.

on a lighter note, i am a bio major, too. A and P was fun for me. Good luck in school and listen to your parents. I didn't and found out they are usually right. save your money and get a newer car. Bikes are cheap and you can buy them anytime. $2000 will get you a decent one when you have spare cash.

Comment

My life story.
                1996 Katana 600. D&D Custom Paint Job, Vance and Hines Full System, factory pro jet kit.

Comment

Originally posted by newkatbie View Post
                  Check all hoses on the cooling system first. They are easy to see and fix. Check your oil for coolant. The change in color (swirls) will tell you. if you have coolant in the oil, get a newer car. It doesn't sound like it would be worth fixing your car for that issue.

Your parents are right. You should be thinking about a car, not a bike. A bike is useless in the snow or even rain, unless you are really brave. Look for a used small import, like a civic, and save money on gas and repairs. i know that would be weird when you live in Detroit.

I have had a few cars since my first. They were all imports and none had major problems except one. That one was bought from a shady dealer. My current car has 175k on it and just a small leak in the evap system that will not get fixed. It runs perfect and i just took a cross-country road trip with the gf this summer. Not saying don't buy American, just expect more problems regardless of it being an ex patrol car. I used to do towing, and most of the cars i picked up were American (usually Chryslers)or European.

My advise, sell the bike and get a reliable car. Then buy a bike when you can afford it. Gear is expensive on bikes and you could die easier if you can't afford any. Just in case you didn't know, you WILL fall one day.

on a lighter note, i am a bio major, too. A and P was fun for me. Good luck in school and listen to your parents. I didn't and found out they are usually right. save your money and get a newer car. Bikes are cheap and you can buy them anytime. $2000 will get you a decent one when you have spare cash.
                  Car stuff just happened. Really, its only about $200 in repairs for everything, maybe 500. The car runs great, just had to get everything fixed at once. I make a decent amopunt of money at my weekly job, also DJ on the side too. Just needed to vent is all

Comment

Ahaha man sounds just like the last month of my life!
                    Bought the bike, had a few hundred bucks of work to do on it (still doing it... sprockets/chain later this week, etc.). Mom didn't like it at all; parents said I should get a new car instead. But my current car runs fine...

Almost everything you said about your car matches my car lol... I even found the front right tire partly flattened this morning and had to use a bicycle pump haha. Not a police car, but it definitely has electrical problems. Every couple of weeks I have to jiggle the wires in the trunk to get the rear lights to work

Good luck with it all, and enjoy the bike!

Comment

If this car is a Crown Vic with the 4.6, you have nothing to worry about. That car will probably outlive you!
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by foxox View Post
                        Ahaha man sounds just like the last month of my life!
                        Bought the bike, had a few hundred bucks of work to do on it (still doing it... sprockets/chain later this week, etc.). Mom didn't like it at all; parents said I should get a new car instead. But my current car runs fine...

Almost everything you said about your car matches my car lol... I even found the front right tire partly flattened this morning and had to use a bicycle pump haha. Not a police car, but it definitely has electrical problems. Every couple of weeks I have to jiggle the wires in the trunk to get the rear lights to work

Good luck with it all, and enjoy the bike!
                        Thanks m8, same to you

Comment

Interesting to note that your Mom hates motorcycles too (although she may not be as adament about expressing this sentiment as mine).

THE HISTORY OF MOTORCYCLES
                          by Bart's Mom

Once upon a time there was a nice man named George. One day he lost his job and was feeling very sad. He needed something to cheer himself up so he went into his garage and started on a project. He wanted to build a car but didn't have enough parts. So, he managed to rig a gasoline engine to a bicycle. He made it loud and shiny and fast, and called it a "motorcycle". The first time he sat on it he became pure evil. He discovered this new device carried with it an energy field which brought death and wickedness to all those who saw it. He changed his name to Satan and vowed to bring evil and death to all mankind by populating the world with motorcycles.

The end.
                          The meaning of life is that life is meant to be lived

Comment

In the end u have to do what makes u happy,i own 3 bike and want to build more right now im a student at MMI and make just enough for gas and thats about it, in feb i graduate and all will change. Goodluck with the bike.
                            Burn it

Comment

**** happens.
                              A few shots might help.
                              Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
                              If you can't eat it, or hump it.
                              pi ss on it and walk away

Comment

Working...
                              X