X

50 mpg!?!?!?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 mpg!?!?!?

So I have officially had my bike title for a couple weeks now but my dad would take it to work until he got his fjr1300. We did a final carb sync/clean and bike tune-up a couple weeks ago and he rode to work and back and said it got 50 mpg... is this normal? its a 98 750 and i just read up that its only supposed to have like 40 mpg. its stock with not a single mod to it. im not complaining but maybe his calculations were wrong? are any of you getting extremely good gas mileage?
    1998 Katana GSX750F
    “If you are not at least a little scared about riding your motorcycle every time you get on it, you should not be riding.”

my 02 600 got 51mpg once... then i swapped it for a 98 750 with a few mods and now i struggle to get 40mpg.

if i were u id check the engine number and make sure u actually have a 750. i bought my bike and was told it was a 600 with a 750 motor, but i kept getting really good gas mileage so ended up it was just a 600, then i bought a 750 to swap in.
    "When in doubt, throttle out."
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by his-royal-freshness View Post
      my 02 600 got 51mpg once... then i swapped it for a 98 750 with a few mods and now i struggle to get 40mpg.

if i were u id check the engine number and make sure u actually have a 750. i bought my bike and was told it was a 600 with a 750 motor, but i kept getting really good gas mileage so ended up it was just a 600, then i bought a 750 to swap in.
      My dad was the only previous owner. he bought it new back in 98 or 99. almost positive its a 750 unless the dealer decided to do a switcheroo on him. could it be driving habit that gets it up to 50?
      1998 Katana GSX750F
      “If you are not at least a little scared about riding your motorcycle every time you get on it, you should not be riding.”

Comment

My 2000 750 has done 50-52mpg's when riding on the highway or interstate numerous times. Yet, I only get about 34mpg's around town.
        It's all good! It's goody good!

Comment

sometimes when i ride in the mountains i'll get 50 mpg on my 98 750 Kat. if i push it hard it drops to low 40s. stock except for pipe.
          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

awesome... thanks guys. i guess its just highway ridin...
            1998 Katana GSX750F

Comment

interesting.....i went for a 16 mile ride and went through a quarter of a tank of gas..........wut the heck..lol

Comment

Since the speedometer is optimistic, you really can't get accurate MPGs using the odometer.

Comment

Originally posted by stonefry View Post
                  Since the speedometer is optimistic, you really can't get accurate MPGs using the odometer.
                  The speedo is calibrated fast, but the odo, is pretty much dead on.

As to the numbers he got, I never trust the numbers I see on one tank, because the tank is fairly small, and the difference in how much you squeeze in there is enough to make a significant difference in fuel economy numbers.

Now that said, my kat 600 usually was between 45 and 55.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I have a 06 750, haven't had for that much time. Benn through maybe 4 tank fuls and I have gotten 32 mpg, but my last tank full got 28 mpg. Don't know why but the bike runs great. I know these numbers are too low.

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                      The speedo is calibrated fast, but the odo, is pretty much dead on.
                      On my stock '05 Kat 600 I was on a 22 mile rd with mile markers and my odometer did not match up with those markers.

Comment

I'm too throttle happy to give you a good estimate of the mileage of any motorcycle.
                        "We are not all beautiful unique flowers. Some of us have bad ideas and bad taste and the things we do come out awful, no matter how much work we put in."

Comment

lol^ me too.
                          My Addiction (94 600 Kat)

Addicted to Modification since... 1995!
                          Electrical Tape, Zip-Ties, and Rivets are more like accents then eye sores.

Comment

I used to get 50 before a pipe & jet kit.
                            Tejasandre

Comment

Originally posted by stonefry View Post
                              i've noticed about 2% difference in odometer readings versus my gps. about 2 extra miles per 100. i have 16/48 gearing, same as 15/45. i have conti motion 170/60 rear tire.
                              Last edited by KAT TOY; 10-26-2010, 07:06 PM.
                              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
                              X