X

Tire mileage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire mileage

I have Continental Road Attack tires on a 2002 Katana 600. I like them very well except I only have 7000 miles on my front tire & they are looking pretty thin in the skin. There are some places on the front tire that the tread is gone. The back tire still looks real good & it also has 7000 miles on it.
    I have had Bridgestone tires before the Conti's & got 7000 miles on the front & had to replace it.
    Are there any sport bike tires brands that can get alot more miles before looking worn out or is this what I can expect out of sport bike tires in general.

I check my air preasure once a week and run 33psi on the front 36psi on the rear. Also I do not do any performance riding

On a couple bikes, I have gotten the best mileage out of the Michelin Pilot Road 2. My Buell killed a set of RA in less than 3000 miles, the PR2 made it double that.
    Pics
    Pics
    No pics yet
    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I use Perelli, Dialblo Strata on the front and the new Angel on the rear. Got 14,000 out of the rear Diablo and had to switch to the Angel due to the Diablo being discontinued, and am currently at 16,000 on the front. I have no chicken strips on the rear tire so they stick pretty good. They are made specifically to be an extended mile tire. I run the same pressures as you do and ride the bike year around.

Comment

I ride the conti road attacks and am at the 7k mark myself and i'm in desperate need of a new rear tire. The center is practically down to the wires. My front is not as bad but still needing replacement. If you look at the side of the tire, it says to fill at 42 psi which I try to keep. I also recently picked up a nail in the rear tire so it's definitely time.
        "Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death and as sweet as love."

Comment

I've run Metzeler M3's and Shinko Ravens. The Shinkos seem to be holding up well. They are a harder compound for touring and such. The M3's are soft and wear out pretty fast.

I have a review here for them:http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...light=metzeler

Comment

Originally posted by kat_pilot750 View Post
            I ride the conti road attacks and am at the 7k mark myself and i'm in desperate need of a new rear tire. The center is practically down to the wires. My front is not as bad but still needing replacement. If you look at the side of the tire, it says to fill at 42 psi which I try to keep. I also recently picked up a nail in the rear tire so it's definitely time.
            The number written on the tire is MAX pressure, not recommended running pressure.
            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I run Michelin pilot powers... first rear tire i got 9600 miles out of it... then I learned to ride much more aggressively, and the second wore out under 6K

I've switched to pilot power 2CT rear at this point, we'll see what that gets... hopefully i'll wear the sides out faster than the middle

See My Garage for mods...
              T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
              Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

it depends on the rider, riding style and tire pressure. softer tires dont last as long as harder tires. but harder tires provide less grip as well.
                42 psi is a little much IMO i run about 38 and any more then that and the ride is a lil rough.
                I put about 7000km on my road attacks and they are worn, but i ride pretty hard. I doubt ill get another full season out of them. but im very impressed with the performance of these tires.
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

It's fairly rare to get less mileage out of a front tire than the rear. Most people can wear out 2 rear tires before the front is toast unless the pressures are off or a way softer tire is being used up front. Road Attacks are a fairly sticky tire, so I wouldn't complain too much about getting 7k miles out of them. I only got 3600 out of the rear on my RA on my 90 600, front still had maybe another 3k miles left in it.
                  John,
                  '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                  sigpic

Comment

yeah, tire wear all depends on riding style, tire type, road types, and pressures.

my local roads are fairly smooth, with not a ton of chipseal, so i get decent mileage on them.

also, my PPs have a 42psi max cold pressure on them... i'm 220lbs, and I run 40psi rear, 42 front, less on the front and i seem to get cupping.

See My Garage for mods...
                    T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                    Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

I commute to work 30 miles each way and like to play on the weekends, usually get a 200 mile ride in once a month.

Used to always run Pilot Powers but got around 6k out of them. So thought I would try something else and went to the Pilot Roads and got around 8.5k out of them. But then money got tight and decided to try the Shinko Podium 006's. I just replaced the rear after 10k. And I can still drag a knee with the Shinko's.

If I had a choice, money or wear didn't matter, I would got back to the Pilot Powers and they were very sticky!

Comment

Originally posted by katana_ron View Post

If I had a choice, money or wear didn't matter, I would got back to the Pilot Powers and they were very sticky!
                        No offense but this is confusing grammar. Are you saying you would go back to pilot powers? No money problems that seems like a no brainer, or the pure powers even... Guess I'm missing your point... Do you like the what you have over pilot roads, or road 2s? I just put a road 2 on front and plan on matching the back jan-feb or so. I ride the 30 miles both ways as well but get less pleasure rides in right now as its cold and rainy...
                        95 GSX600F -- GO DUCKS -- 06 R6
                        Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing -Helen Keller
                        ---
                        I often post mobile; Keep that in mind when I write like a 5th grader

Comment

Originally posted by niqbales View Post
                          No offense but this is confusing grammar. Are you saying you would go back to pilot powers? No money problems that seems like a no brainer, or the pure powers even... Guess I'm missing your point... Do you like the what you have over pilot roads, or road 2s? I just put a road 2 on front and plan on matching the back jan-feb or so. I ride the 30 miles both ways as well but get less pleasure rides in right now as its cold and rainy...
                          Sorry my brain isn't working too well today.

My favorite tire of the bunch was the Pilot Powers. I have never felt so confident in a corner as I did with those. I had Roads, not Road 2s, but those did work well too.

The reason I stick with the Shinko's now is they cost about half the price of the Michelin's and they last longer.

Comment

Even longer lasting then the Shinkos is the Michelin pilot activ's. Like I said,im very hard on tires and I got over 20k km on these.

i had no problem getting a knee down but you could never push these tires or the bike like you could with a softer tire. you could easily drift around turns with minimal throttle, and wet riding was slick. but they are dirt cheap and last forever
                            98 GSX750F
                            95 Honda VT600 vlx
                            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I like the pilot power 2ct front with the road 2 rear on my GSX-R750. I have around 12k miles on them now, the rear is still pretty good, front is about ready for repacement. I might just go with both PP 2ct next time, now that I don't have todeal with tire killing chipsealed roads anymore.
                              John,
                              '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X