X

Speeding Ticket - Mandatory Appearance in Court

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zuma View Post
    I don't feel so good when I hear of these stiff penalties for speeding. Jail time? A year in jail for speeding? Puke. I go fast here in the empty plains of West Texas...normally cruise around 80 to 85. I've been stopped at over 100 more than once and merely been told to slow it down some. I'm not advocating that one should break the law and drive that fast, but if you saw how wide open these wide open spaces are, you might better understand.

When I did get a ticket once just across the line in New Mexico, I was certain to take my helmet and wear my gear (I always do anyway) to court and appear responsible to the judge. I may draw criticism for this post, but again, you would have to see the terrain here to understand.
    Exactly, Are you hurting by speeding on said roads that have almost no one on them? No. I have ridden those roads a few years back and it's all about freedom. They are "protecting" YOU from yourself. Ridiculous.
    Katie - 91 Kat 600, 98 Bandit 600 engine, Ivan Jet Kit, Ignition Advancer, Gsxr 750 header, Delkevic slip on, Veypor computer.

Comment

What "he" said, indeed!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

ya, I think it is very state/county dependant. I got one the begging of the years... there was a speed trap on a highway, I was clocked at 72 in a 55. I went to court and just told them the truth and they reduced it from $170 to $100. it was only in front of the court app. officer and the magister. just be honest and tell him what you said here and that you will pay better attn from now on.
        FunEMT
        2000 Katana 600

Comment

I've found that the two biggest things you can do to help reduce the amount you have to pay is this..

#1 Bring money

#2 When you talk to the DA, or the prosecutor, I always admit going a little fast but you didn't think you were going that fast. Then sometime in the conversation, without sounding like a jackass, tell him you are prepared to make a payment and settle the issue today. They will usually cut the fine in half.

They really don't want to drag it out any more than you do. A polite conversation with someone who wants to pay - that's got to be the exception for them.

Good luck.

Comment

What the court wants is your MONEY. It's how they pay the bills. Most courts are under a lot of pressure from their local political subdivisions to NOT put people in jail, that COSTS money, money they don't have and at that point can only get from the taxpayer, you, and it's a damn sight harder to get if your unemployed and in jail, right?

ps: you wanted advise, so here is how I decided to deal with speeding tickets many years ago because I don't want to pay those fines. Slow down. Put the money you save in fines toward a few track days every summer. Have fun!
            Last edited by superbike; 10-06-2010, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice guys. When I got the ticket, I was upset of course because I would have to pay a fine and go to traffic school and such. It wasn't until later that I realized that I may get my license suspended or worse. I really am slowing down. Court date is 11-22. Wish me luck!

Comment

In CA, The first court appearance is to plead one of 3 things:
                guilty (don't recommend), not guilty (maybe), or no contest (maybe).
                If you plead "no contest" in CA, it is the same essential thing as guilty, but there are legal reasons to plead "no contest" over guilty.
                If you plead no contest, they generally fine you then and there which is less than the fine on your ticket. You may be eligible for traffic school. If you plead not guilty, you get a trial and if the officer who got you on radar doesn't show up, your case is almost always dismissed. If he shows up, you tell your side of the story. There is a lot of research which you can do about roads and speed surveys (or something).
                I spent HOURS preparing my case last time and the officer didn't show up. My case was dismissed. Later I was told the CHP California Highway Patrol is instructed to keep the traffic flowing at 78 or less in a 65. So I try to keep it under 80 MPH. Good luck!

Comment

The biggest concern is going to be points. You will pay alot more in insurance increases for years than you will for the fine.

My wife got a speeding ticket last year for 45 in a 25. We fought it. When the court date came an office showed up and before we even got to the court room asked my wife "Your here becasue of the points arent you?". My wife said yes. He said he would reduce the ticket to 5 mph over with no points if she plead guilty. Obviously we jumped on the deal. The fine only dropped a little, but it was worth paying it to avoid points.

The officer wants his conviction, the court wants thier money and you dont want points on your license. If you can plea down and pay a fine without points it may be your best bet.

My wife asked me, "Why don't you make love to me like they do in the movies?" So I did and she got mad. Evidently we don't watch the same type of movies.

Comment

how many tickets have you gotten in the past 18 months?
                    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
                      how many tickets have you gotten in the past 18 months?
                      None, but I think it is up the the judge if I can use traffic school to take it off my record since I was going so fast.

Comment

well in my experience in cali i always plead not guilty and take it to trial because 90% of the timethe cop doesnt show and even if he does u can still plea with the judge and have it reduced dont just give in and always bring money to pay the fine and for traffic school on ur court date will help ur case

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
                          I don't feel so good when I hear of these stiff penalties for speeding. Jail time? A year in jail for speeding? Puke. I go fast here in the empty plains of West Texas...normally cruise around 80 to 85. I've been stopped at over 100 more than once and merely been told to slow it down some. I'm not advocating that one should break the law and drive that fast, but if you saw how wide open these wide open spaces are, you might better understand.

When I did get a ticket once just across the line in New Mexico, I was certain to take my helmet and wear my gear (I always do anyway) to court and appear responsible to the judge. I may draw criticism for this post, but again, you would have to see the terrain here to understand.

man i miss those wide open stretches. and the attitude most of the troopers have about speeding out there, lol

Comment

there are plenty of wide open spaces like that around here in nevada, so I know how it is. Gotta be careful, I was pretty close to getting tagged at 125 on my buddy's honda.

Comment

Working...
                            X