X

Selling lament

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling lament

So I just got orders to get stationed in Okinawa. We've decided to sell my wife's car and the bike instead of storing it for three years. At first I didn't have any problems with the idea of selling it, but now it's been weighing on me as I ride every day.

I think the hardest part about the idea of selling it is that I doubt that the next owner will take care of it like I have. There is a guy I work with that keeps asking if I'm ready to sell it yet, but I know that he wouldn't do his own maintenance like I have. I also know that he's getting a bike just as a symbol, and a Katana is not really the kind of symbol that he's looking for. And I’m sure that then he’ll just start to neglect it and it’ll all go downhill from there.

Has anyone ever had these kinds of worries about who their bike goes too after them?
    Last edited by Hegmann1391; 09-19-2010, 08:28 PM.
    Q. "What do you think when you see a pretty girl walking down the street" -A. "One side of me says, 'I'd like to talk to her, date her'. The other side of me says , 'I wonder how her head would look on a stick?"

Yea man I have the same feelings. I might have to part with my bike because of cost factors, but I really love it and I know getting one identical to it (maintained and all) would be nigh impossible, and it just wouldn't have that same attachment as the first one.

Comment

Usually when I've sold bikes I was movin' on like you and never gave it another thought.

The only vehicle that I've ever regretted selling was my '68 camaro convertible.
      2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
      2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
      1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
      1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
      1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Only thing that ever worries me is when a young kid with no riding experience whatsoever asks me if I want to sell my Kat. Granted it's not a SS but I still think it's too much bike for most young beginning riders with no fear attitudes. I could care less what happens to the bike once I have my cash for it, but I would feel bad selling it to someone that I know isn't ready, then hearing later that they killed themselves on it.
        John,
        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
        sigpic

Comment

Sell it and then when your 3 years are up, buy a used or new "latest tech" bike. No need to sweat over it! No telling WHAT will be available three years from now!
          It would't be any fun if it was easy! BUT, it does have to be this much fun!!

Comment

Well ulitmately, the next bike will be a BMW S1000RR. So I think it might almost be a good thing to get it out of there and to open up space for a new one. Think I might buy a cheap one to get around Okinawa on though, just to make sure I don't forget how to ride.
            Q. "What do you think when you see a pretty girl walking down the street" -A. "One side of me says, 'I'd like to talk to her, date her'. The other side of me says , 'I wonder how her head would look on a stick?"

Comment

There ya go Heg...you're on the right track IMO...
              It would't be any fun if it was easy! BUT, it does have to be this much fun!!

Comment

I know exactially how you feel. Ive only purchased 3 vehicles my entire life, And I still own all 3. My 1971 VW super beetle Purchased 13 years ago. (currently being restored) My Kat that I just purchased. And my 1997 civic that Ive owened for over 10 years now.

I'll neaver sell the VW. I'll probably be barried in it. I have no plans to move up to a different bike. Ive almost purchased a new car to replaice the civic several times. I just cant justify getting rid of the civic. Its not that I cant afford a new car. Its crazy relyable, and enjoyable to drive. Its now 13 years old and starting to have some rust issues. I cant bring myself to trade it in. I can tell you with compleate honisty I would rather see her crushed than abused by some kid. When I do finally get a new car. I will strip the civic of anything of value sell of all the performace parts etc. and crush the rest.

I guess my mentality is if I cant have it nobody can. Its strange to me that Ide would be ok with destroying it, but not with passing it on to a new owner.

Comment

I've gone through 19 bikes. They may be more emotionally involving than cars, but they're still just machines. You sell one and move on to the next.
                  You're married? Keep the wife.

Comment

i may have to do the same thing here soon but for diffrent reasons i may get a gixxer project so........ the kat will have to go....welll all of but teh heart.....itll pain me to have to tear it down and sell it peice by peice
                    time to nut up or shut up
                    Originally posted by Rican Katgrl
                    The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                    X