Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate the dealership.

I hate the dealership. What a mess.

July 30th…
    I called Spokane Power Sports Suzuki/Yamaha dealership on the 30th of July and set up an appointment for a carb cleaning, resynchronization, valve adjustment and tune up. I can do the work, it just takes a little more time and the shop is, or was more convenient at the time. The service manager told me that if the carbs were taken apart for cleaning that the several parts would need to be replaced. I told him that this wouldn’t be a problem. I had looked up aftermarket rebuild kits and they were only $17-$19 per carb.

August 6th…
    I dropped the Katana off a week later on the 6th of August. The service manager told me that it would be done the following afternoon Saturday 7th of August. I had my wife drop me off across town at my Reserve Center for drill and I made arrangements with one of my guys to take me to the dealership to pick my bike up that afternoon. At 3:45, fifteen minutes before the end of my work day, the dealership calls and says “Your bike isn’t going to be ready, we don’t have parts”. Now, a normal, reasonable person would assume that if you call a week in advance and the DEALERSHIP SERVICE MANAGER says you are going to have to replace parts, that the DEALERSHIP would have said parts on hand to do the work. He tells me that they will order the aftermarket carb rebuild kits (same ones I looked at online) on the following Tuesday, the 10th. He tried to get me to hemorrhage out another $200 for Suzuki needle seats that were available in a couple of days, no way, not when four kits were less than $100.

August 10th…
    I called to get an update on the parts and he tells me that he will call me back. I waited all day for a call, went to work and checked my messages… no call. I called back on Thursday the 12th and asked for an update again. He tells me that the parts are back ordered and would be available in the next couple of days and he should have them in the next week. I asked when the bike would be ready and he said the 18th it would be done.

August 17th…
    I called on the 17th for a status check and he says that they had not received their deliveries and would call me back. No call again. I checked availability on the kits myself on two websites and both had the kits in stock, ready for shipment.

August 18th…
    I called on the 18th, the day that he said my bike would be done and he said that they didn’t get the kits in and it would be a few more days, but the Suzuki parts are ready to go for another $200. At this point I asked exactly what had been done to my bike. He says that they did the valve adjustment and took apart the carbs to clean them, ($570+ in labor by this point). I got pretty nasty on the phone about him not returning calls for uspdates when he tells me he will call back and doesn't… I get a bit impatient and angry. He said “Well, I get 25 calls a day on parts…” I told him that if he couldn’t do his job, maybe he should do something different. Of course he got all butt hurt, but he had it coming. I am starting to get the impression that the dealer is trying to force the Suzuki parts on me to make another $200+. I told him that I wanted a no Sh*t date when my bike would be done. He said “by Wednesday”, that would be the 25th.

August 25th…
    I called for an update late in the afternoon because true to form, they hadn’t called me. The service manager said he would call back, again no call.

August 26th…
    I called Thursday morning and he said he would call back. That afternoon I got a call and he said that the parts would not be available for another 1-3 weeks, but he had Suzuki parts ready to go.

I finally lost it. I told him, quite impolitely that three weeks for basic maintenance was ridiculous and another 1-3 was bullsh*t. I demanded that they put my bike back together and have it ready for me to pick up in an hour. He became very defensive and said he would not reassemble my machine without parts. I asked what he was going to do to make the situation right and he said he wouldn’t do anything. I asked him to discount his oh so readily available Suzuki parts to the kit price and he flatly refused. I told him to put my bike back together again and he refused. I told him box up my parts, bag up my parts, I don’t care how you assemble them, but I am picking up my bike in an hour. I got a trailer and headed for the dealership. I got there, tossed my credit card at him and asked what I owed. He sat there, looking like an idiot, for a few moments and said “we didn’t put it back together yet, I can’t charge you yet”. Too bad for you dumba**. I took my card back and told him that if I don’t owe anything that I wanted my bike and parts immediately. Another of the management staff, I’m assuming the General Manager came out and paced about ten feet back eye F-ing me while I was loading the bike and my parts on the trailer. I am not sure what he thought he would accomplish by this massively ineffective aggressive display. Maybe he thought I was going to cave and take the screwing for another month. Screw them. They screwed me out of the whole month of August, lied to me again and again by setting dates when my Katana would be done and not following through, and telling me “I’ll call you back” and not doing something as simple as that. I now have a box of fully disassembled carbs, my airbox, and tank all off my bike, and the rest of the bike in my garage. Screw the dealership.

One of the guys at the reserve center was following my ordeal on facebook and showed up with the card for the race builder who does all the work for his son. I will be calling him today. I ordered an Ivan’s Jet kit and will be looking for a Yoshi pipe today. I will probable get the kit, pipe and carbs done for less than the stealership would have charged.
    What a mess.
    Last edited by scott73; 08-31-2010, 01:58 AM.

Long read, try some paragraph formatting next time though. I'm glad you got it all straightened out though and managed to get away without them charging your for something (especially labor for dis-assembly). I know my dealer would've done the same thing but found some way to charge me $1000 for it. Let us know when you're back on the twisties and good luck with the other mechanic!
    Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

Yup, that's a dealership for ya. It's about the same experience everytime.

Comment

Paragraphs man, paragraphs.

Comment

So far as I know there aren't any "official" kits. But it's hard when cleaning a rack of carbs to know each and every tiny part that needs replaced.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

That just sucks!!!!!
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

lmao.. guy goes through hell and people complain bc theres no paragraphs.

Sorry to hear about your rant. It reminds me of when i let my cheap mechanic work on a big timing belt job in my VW Passat (my other baby). It went in for a 8 hr job and i didn't get it back running for 3 weeks, and 3 different shops later. Turned out to be something he facked up.. but.. all in all, i ended up getting everything done for the cost of parts only. He ended up with a 300$ bill from another mechanic out of town.

Let us know how to finish up.. and for the price your saving, the new parts sounds like they will be fun. I have done all of those.. enjoy!

Comment

dude that sucks 3 weeks for routine maintenance......i would be ready for a lawyer to knock on your door though...... unfortunately even tough they jerked you around for 3 weeks they are greedy and will want the money for time which is BS cuz they didnt do anything really......it takes me all of 30 minutes to disassemble my carbs.....longer to put them back together cuz the soaking and such but anyway there gonna try to rip you for the "time" and "parts" they used......if not a lawyer than youll prolly get a bill in the mail CUZ THERE GREEDY F**CKS
                time to nut up or shut up
                Originally posted by Rican Katgrl
                The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.

Comment

Paragraphs might have usually been more appropriate, but you were on a roll from the first sentence, so I don't deem them necessary...good writing.

Don't feel bad about loading up your bike and parts and hauling arse. I'm a musician and depend on my equipment to get me through. Last January both my Marshalls wigged out on me and I took them to the only music store in Midland, Texas. I had to borrow back a loaned out Peavey amp and it got me through until May, but in May I bought a Fishman 220 for $1,000 and told the music store to have my amps ready to pick up that afternoon.

The tech guy called that afternoon and said the amps were now fixed; he'd looked at them again that morning and figured out the problem and fixed them...now I owed him $45.

I explained my having to borrow back a loaned out amp for five months, and finally having to lay out $1000 for a Fishman...and so after five months of having my Marshalls collect dust on his shelf, suddenly he gets off his arse and fixes them when I demand them back?

I told him that my smiling face was not giving him much more than sweat. He cowed down to that, and I got my amps, which he had already returned to the store from his shop. I smiled when I picked them up at the store and told the store manager, "Nevermore".

I hope you have better luck with your bike. He owes you. He stole your August from you. I'm proud that you didn't flip the glaring gen manager off; I'm afraid I would have, or at least mooned him before I stepped into the truck to leave. You were quite the gentleman!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

****ers , I like to do stuff like this myself just because of this.
                    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

This is why I dont take my Kat to a dealer....

Comment

Just buy the parts and do it yourself. I'm waiting for that last couple of parts to come in before I reassemble my carbs. It really isnt that difficult

Comment

Same way here too. If you can't do them yourself better know a shade tree guy who can cause if not it ain't getting done.
                          "0 to 60 in splat"

Comment

I took my bike in for the same deal as you way back in april and I kind of got jerked around but no where near as bad. My problem was the same where the service guy would never return my calls or give me an update on my bike. Luckily my rebuild only took about 10 days, that sucks you that you lost a whole month of prime riding season.
                            1999 Katana 750

Comment

Sorry about the formatting. I am still pretty hot over the crappy service I got and losing out on all of August for riding. My English skills are normally better than that.

The economy sucks, labor cost is $80 an hour at any shop and parts are available for cheaper than the dealership cost if you buy online. This being the case, dealerships should live and die by customer service. The problem here is that the only other Suzuki dealer in town went under a few months ago and now Power Sports has no dealership competition.

Here is what they left me with. It looks like all they did was disassemble the carbs and had not yet cleaned anything.

1&2

3&4

and bags of guts...

Fixed the formatting... for all of the english teachers
                              Last edited by scott73; 08-31-2010, 02:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X