X

Riding that preserves 2nd gear?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding that preserves 2nd gear?

I've owned sport bikes off and on for about 4 years. Within every group of riders I've ridden with there is always one guy who is currently having, or has had transmission problems, and its usually 2nd gear. I know this is more common on certain bikes (early '00 R6s to name one). I've also read that it is pretty common on Pre Katanas. I recently bought a non-running '89 750 that I got running after a week of carb cleaning. The thing I was anxious about was making sure 2nd gear didn't slip, and luckily it seems fine. A buddy of mine bought a wrecked RF900. The bike had been sitting about 10 yeasr (just like my katana) and my friend put the motor in his RF600. He only got about 1k miles out of it before 2nd gear started slipping.

I come from a motocross background so I have a habit of being hard on transmissions, shifting under full power, with no clutch etc. Because I now own a bike that that may be more predisposed to transmission issues I"m going to change my habits.
    My question is, are the failures usually the cause of abuse, or an inherent flaw in the tolerances or something? Where its a case of getting a good one, or a bad one?
    Last edited by stephenspann27; 08-16-2010, 10:57 PM.

Originally posted by stephenspann27 View Post
    My question is, are the failures usually the cause of abuse, or an inherent flaw in the tolerances or something? Where its a case of getting a good one, or a bad one?
    In short.... yes. It was a bad design from Suzuki to begin with and abuse just makes the situation worse. Shifting with the clutch is the best choice, Im a firm believer that there wouldnt be a 2nd gear problem if people know how to ride ther bikes. You can also get a shift improver kit thats allows the gears to engage more positively.
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

+1 Words of wisdom from HemiKat:

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
      In short.... yes. It was a bad design from Suzuki to begin with and abuse just makes the situation worse. Shifting with the clutch is the best choice, Im a firm believer that there wouldnt be a 2nd gear problem if people know how to ride ther bikes. You can also get a shift improver kit thats allows the gears to engage more positively.

Comment

My bike only had 9k miles on it, (hasn't seen the road since 2001). Is this a problem that is more likely to show up on higher mileage engines, or does it seem to not matter?

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post

were can you get said kits
          time to nut up or shut up
          Originally posted by Rican Katgrl
          The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.

Comment

Factory Pro sells the kits, google it. ge the one with the spring, exhaust gaskets and the pan gasket (yes, you have to drop the exhaust and oil pan)

as for 2nd gear fail, its generally caused by a bunch of missed shifts that eventually round off the dogs on teh back of the gear.

I actually got a good look at a 2nd gear failure gear, and saw what happens.

if you fail to shift across the neutral into second with a weak, or incomplete sloppy shift, the gear is spinning when you try and bang it again.

this makes the gears clash, often bending the shift fork, or wearing teh engagement surface off the back of the 2nd gear why trying to shift while the engine is racing, and the gears arent meshed right.

you literally GRIND off the engagement surface.

2 solutions:
            1. get a shift kit to help make sure you shift HARD, its just a shift detent spring thats a higher strength.

2. LEARN to CLUTCH in and shift HARD. it only goes 1 gear up, so BANG that lever up.

if you miss a shift, clutch in and let the trans settle before hitting the lever again.

See My Garage for mods...
            T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
            Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

I read somewhere else that a high speed incomplete down shift will shear the dogs off the syncho. I bet that is a pretty common cause.

Comment

Not a problem, yet…

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
                Factory Pro sells the kits, google it. get the one with the spring, exhaust gaskets and the pan gasket (yes, you have to drop the exhaust and oil pan)
                Sounds like this repair can be done with the engine in the bike, Zat so?
                Bill
                Last edited by buffalobill; 08-29-2010, 04:47 PM. Reason: 1st beer, cats are fed

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
                  Sounds like this repair can be done with the engine in the bike, Zat so?
                  Bill
                  Yes, it can be done with the motor in. I put it in my Post VERY easy.
                  If you think routine maintenance is expensive,... Try Ignorance!

Comment

yes, shift can be put in, pre or post, fairly easy.

the second gear fix requires dropping the engine, and spliting the cases.. i think its something like 28hr shop time listed for a trans fix. Cheaper to find another engine.

See My Garage for mods...
                    T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                    Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Another used engine?

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
                      yes, shift can be put in, pre or post, fairly easy.

the second gear fix requires dropping the engine, and spliting the cases.. i think its something like 28hr shop time listed for a trans fix. Cheaper to find another engine.
                      True, however, another used engine would come with it's own issues.
                      Bill

Comment

Bill
                        Most commonly a bad 2nd gear

Comment

Bill
                          Potentially. But if it's less broken than your current motor... you are likely in better shape.

In the 98+ Suzuki "redesigned" the transmission so the rate of failure is much lower.
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I think changing the gear at the right RPM helps but that just my thoughts without any sources to back me up. if you rev up to 9000rpm you better shift it right away. dont clutch -> let go of the throtte -> shift. if you let it down to 2000 rpm again and then shift bad things are going to happen..
                            2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Factory Pro actually makes TWO Katana kits. One is simply a replacement for the stock detent spring. The other kit includes a new arm and bearing in addition to the spring. Both kits include oil pan and exhaust gaskets. etc, because the exhaust and pan has to come off.

I installed the spring only kit this spring. Straightforward remove/replace, although it was a little fiddly finding a technique that got the new spring back in place.

The new spring is significantly larger and stronger than the one it replaces. So, it follows that significantly more force is now required to shift gears in my pre-750. This is possibly due to the fact that the light OEM spring is also 17 years and who knows how many shifts old. I do know that it seemed to me I was missing a lot more shifts last year, but I haven't been on the bike as often as I used to be the last few seasons. Maybe my technique needs work too.

But, be aware that this effects more than second gear. All changes now require more force, or, said differently, a more deliberate approach to changing gears.

I don't know if I had to make this mod, and, if given the chance to do it again, I probably would have purchased the "pro" kit with the new detent arm and bearing. (I didn't know there were two versions out there when I bought mine.)

DHolzwarth
                              Dick H

"Well, my rig's a little old, but that don't mean she's slow...."

Comment

Working...
                              X