X

When hobbies collide....cyclists this if for you

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When hobbies collide....cyclists this if for you

Hi everybody, wasn't sure whether or not this deserves a new thread, but I have yet to come across anyone with Kat who has solved the age-old problem or transporting a variety of bicycles on their motorbike.

My design criteria and restrictions for the first "prototype" were as follows;

It had to cost less then $20, ideally be free
    It couldn't require any fancy tools, beyond basic drills etc.
    It had to removable and adjustable
    It had to be secure, safe and stable at highway speeds
    It couldn't obscure brake/ signals plate etc.

I basically found scrap aluminum angle stock at work as well as various brackets to crate the majority of this. I think it turned out ok, but I'm lack ideas on how to "tie" the main portion of the rack where the fork is mounted, to the bike itself.

Currently you can see straps holding this down, which won't work for many reason, but some type of curved bracket is going to go from the end of the main horizontal piece, down to the passenger pegs.

Any suggestions are welcome, I've got a business background, mech. engineering so any input is appreciated.

Cheers,
    Adam
    Attached Files

What are those straps mounted to on the other end? Seems to me you could use a turn buckle or something similar (rigid, lockable and adjustable) to mount in lieu of the straps.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." -- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut / Yogi Berra

"after the nuclear apocalypse, there will be 6ft tall cockroaches eating twinkies and driving dodge darts, and riding katanas" -- JayBell

Comment

The straps are just temporary, but they tie down by the passenger peg to hold it down. I basically need to put some type of bar / metal piece in place of those straps to really make it solid.

Comment

Nice,

I want to see that going down the road.
        People will be rubbernecking like crazy.
        Blackdog
        DRz-400e plated
        Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

Here's how some guys on the Sprint forums do it...

-Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

How much would a bolt that takes the place of the front axle be? Just go pick up a suitably long bolt from Home Depot (or wherever). That gives you a point on the front to attach a strap between the bike and the stand. Use a wingnut or other tool-free nut to hold the bolt to the bike...

Comment

I saw this one day...

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by GytRDunKat View Post
                I saw this one day...
                I think this design is going down the drain
                2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Working...
                X