600 or 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 600 or 750

This is going to be my first bike...

I was gonna pick up a 04 Kat 600 with 9k miles and a few extras for under $3000.. but it got sold before I told the owner I would take it.

- There is a 06 Kat 600 with 12k miles from a dealer for $3200 (all stock)
    - The same dealer has a 03 750 with 9k miles for $3400 (all stock)
    - And there is someone in my area selling a 03 750 under 12k miles with extras and it looks very clean.. for around $3500

My question to you all is.. Do you think it would be that big of a difference on a 750 than a 600, as far as a learning curve between the two, since it's gonna be my first bike.

Thanks

First bike eh? Well the kats are nice bikes, but be prepared to dump it. Pretty much everyone crashes their first bike within a year. So buying a $3000 bike, in mint condition, to learn on, may not be the smartest decision. Take a look at the price of a side fairing and then think about repainting it just to fix a stupid mistake. $$$$$ adds up fast.

Personally, I'd recommend buying a bike without full fairings because they are expensive as hell to replace. Possibly a Ninja EX500 or older Suzuki GS500. Look for one that is in less than perfect shape so you don't lose too much value when you lay it down. Ride one of those for a year and see how it goes.

Ideally, you should buy a dirt bike and beat the **** out of it until you really learn how to handle a bike. You can learn on the street but just be very careful, road rash is no joke.
    Last edited by akarob; 05-19-2010, 07:37 AM.

Comment

to answer to your question., I would prefer the 600 as a good starter bike.. The 750s, I have heard does have some more umph for the money you pay..
      Check out both of them.. Sit and get the feel.. being first bike, you will need to be comfortable on it..
      Both handle well and have enough power and speed to keep you happy.. If price is a matter, then go for the 600.. you will have a lesser insurance to pay too..

Again, ensure to pick up the right gear for you and please register for the nearest MSF's novice motorcycle course!! Good luck..
      Regards
      sigpic
      2005 Katana 600

Comment

+10 on the MSF course. Really just your preference, the Kat's are really forgiving, but a 500 ninja will keep up with most people in the curves just fine if you ride well. The more bike you buy, the slower your progress is likely to be. Gear up and ride safe.
        sigpic
        1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

If you haven't taken a MSF course yet, I suggest you buy a Schwinn

If you have taken the course..... My 98 Katana 750 was my first bike since I was a little kid riding YZ80s in the dirt. I bought it for around $3000 which seemed like a bargain for such a nice looking bike with low miles (less than 6000). I'm not a big guy (5'8" around 175lbs). The extra top-heaviness of the bike really makes you concentrate when you're doing slow turns especially u-turns. I think this is a good thing. There is not a whole lot of difference between the 600 and 750 (there's some, but not like their 2 totally incompatible bikes) No matter how well you ride the odds are against you that you will drop the bike at least once in the first year, so take that into account when making your purchase. Granted you may drop it going less than 1 mile an hour in a parking lot, but it's still a drop that may scratch the bike or break a lever. If you are smart enough to know what your riding limits are, I highly recommend the 03 750 Kat from the dealer because of the low mileage
          Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

If you are going to buy one of these bikes I would have to say the 600 but when I chashed my Kat a few years back it cost alot to put it back on the road...giving I crashed at 70mph. I had to replace both of the front fairings, the rear fairings, one foot peg, wind screen, headlight, and the rear grab bar. All 4 fairing I got off of ebay for $500, the headlight for $220, foot peg and grab bar for $35 and then I had to re paint the the bike.
            If you got the Kat I would reccomend removing the fairings while you are learing to ride or but a bike that doesn't have any fairings.

Comment

Not seeing the bikes and going only by the written word, the 600 model of 06 looks like the shining choice here in my opinion. I have owned both the 06 600 and the 06 750. It's funny. I got the 600 new off-the-showroom -floor and really liked it, but kept on thinking just how much cooler it would be to have "750" on my rear cowling.

So things happened, I traded the 600 in on a cruiser and within four months had the opportunity to get rid of the cruiser (very nice Honda 750 Shadow with a shaft drive...dangerously slow in the passing lane) and buy a new off-the-showroom-floor Kat 750.

I kept the 750 for 8 months and enjoyed it, but since I had another bike (Honda VTX 1300C) and wanted a Gibson Super Jumbo guitar, I sold the 750 and bought the guitar and never regretted it.

Sorry for the entire history, but it was to let you know of my experience with both bikes. Looking back on it, the 600 was every bit as cool as the 750 and though the 750 had a tad more (a mere tad) umph, if I could have either bike back, I'd take the 600. Now I have a ZZR 1200 and don't mind the power. I liked that 600 though. It's what I would do. Learn and be careful.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Personally I like the larger CC bikes I find them more comfortable to just cruise the little added torque makes them more forgiving leaving a stop with less gas. But the 600cc bikes can quicker and better in the turns. It depends a lot of things how big you are,how comfortable you are and how much time you take learning before going WOT!
                2003 Katana 750F
                1986 VFR 700F

Comment

i'd say 750. it's easy enough to handle. and u will keep it longer once you get better since it's got more power to keep you happy longer

Comment

Working...
                  X