X

Second Day driving experience.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Day driving experience.

Today was such a gorgeous day to ride. Started out in the late 70's and got in the mid 80's I rode for about 2 1/2 hours with my friend Jared and his girlfriend Amy. He has a zx-14 and his girlfriend has a 150cc scooter thingy (i like it, just can't remember the brand) He owns the Katana I drove today. Since I am a very noob driver, I practiced in a parking lot with them earlier this week for about a hour 1/2 learning various turning techniques and the such, then we drove for about a 3 miles on a slow road practicing shifting. So this is my second day to drive on an actual road. I take my class this week and I am goin to get my license next. Probably not the smartest idea to drive, but it was such a pretty day today, especially after yesterday with all the rain.

Its kinda scary how comfortable you can get on it. I can understand now how people feel that they don't need experience to drive much more "advanced" or sportier bikes. Its just so easy to go fast and gain a false sense of confidence. I really am looking forward to this course. I never imagined that driving would be that fun, and open, and free.

Its very noticeable how cars will simply not pay attention to you. I always try to notice / give respect to bikers on the road when I drive my car. I have a few group of friends who ride bikes. But it blows me away how they treat you like you are driving a car, with tailgating, cutting you off, using your turn signal and they simply won't let you over, just sit in your blind spot then speed up when you try to (I'm a noob, so I don't just want to turn the handle and gun it) and slow down when you do.

I used turn the handle and gun it cause I assumed that "floor it" isn't the correct term.

On bikes, you go WFO - not all the time of course, but you won't have any trouble making the pass.

Glad you had a good time. 1st gear can be tough to manage but, one you get going, it couldn't be smoother or easier. Katanas are awesome.

Comment

Ya, I stalled out a couple of times. But that was because I was in the wrong gear. I was in 3rd stalled, then went to second and stalled again.

I enjoyed the hell out of it though.

Comment

It takes time to get to know the 1st gear and feel comfy with taking off from 1st gear. Practice makes it better. Make sure to wear gears and always look for surroundings around you. Good luck
        2002 Suzuki GSX-750F
        2007 Subaru Impreza
        2010 Nissan Altima 2.5S

Comment

Working...
        X