No announcement yet.
X

Comparison, my height, and rear lights.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparison, my height, and rear lights.

Hello,

First off I am new. (Been a lurker a while).

Anyways, I have had my heart stuck on a 2005-current Triumph Spring ST 1050. Now, I am looking hard at the Katana 750.

I am 6 ft 3, 200 lbs. I am wondering how I would feel afer a hour or two on the Katana. (I have read several post from tall guys and they all say they feel comfortable, but many did not say if thats on a 15 minute ride or a longer one).

Also, (especially if you own a Sprint Sport Tourer or have reidden one) can you compare/contrast the two for me?

Also, I have a major worry about being seen from the back (I am almost 40, with a family, and dont want to get smashed) lol.

That being said, what are popular light sets, kits, or good upgrades that people have done to thier own Katanas....

Thank you, have a great weekend.
    Do or do not, there is no Try...
    -Master Yoda

Current Bike; 2005 Katana 750

im 6'1 275 i ride it VERY comfortable for 2 hours (my max so far not due to issues but i didnt need to travel any further)

from behind visability is fine, only a SMALL part of accidents are caused from rearending, compaired to head on collisions and driver error. almost all accident are from driver error it appears.

i you wanted more visability in the rear, 3m relflective tape is WONDERFUL for night!

mounting some small AUX lights can help, along with 3 flashing modular brake lights
    03/03/2010 - got 99 Kat 750 ,881 miles,blue, STOCK.
    04/03/2010 - 2069 miles. Burley frame sliders, mesh mod, carbs overhauled.
    08/05/2010 - 8562 Miles, SS lines, shovel del., int. brake light
    10/08/2010 - 9862 miles, GSXR cams, futomo Valve
    05/22/2011- 11884 Miles, -GSXR cams -Futomo Valve +advancer

Comment

I've seen wireless brake lights on ebay that go on your helmet or wherever you want to put them. I'm not 6'3" but at 6' have no problem on Kat. Good luck.

Comment

6"6" here and no real problems on the Kat. Only issue I found was the angle of my ankle on the shifter. I ended up rotating it down one tooth on the spline to reduce it. Otherwise pretty comfy. I have done 4 to 5 hours no problem, just a numb throttle hand

As for visibility I actually think it is pretty good as is. I would wager it is much the same as all others in its own and similar classes.

Comment

been a couple of hours several times and no issues... 6'2" 225 and 47... would have thought the back would have been gone early but no problems and great ride... ride a Kat 600 (first bike). And visibility-wise i have to agree with Phil, most of the time it's people in front of you that just don't pay attention or see you.

Comment

Lets start with the bike. Sounds like you are looking for your first, in which case, I would strongly recommend the Kat. The Sprint puts out some serious power, which makes the learning curve quite steep. Not to mention the price differential on parts. I'm 6' even, 280lbs, and I've done many 600+ mile days. The 750's riding position isn't too much lower than the 05-06 ST. In 07 (IIRC) they brought the bars up another inch or so.

Don't know where you guys are getting your stats from, I know way more people taken out from behind than any other single cause. The best thing you can do is make yourself more visible. I ride in a yellow and blue suit with a crapload of reflective pieces and a fluorescent yellow helmet. People still don't necessarily see me. At stop signs and lights, I always leave the bike in gear and my eyes on the rearview.

As to tail light improvements, I just put the Admore Lighting small light bar on my KLR. Pretty pleased with it so far. I know I lost one of the LED's this weekend, gotta call them about that, but still a superior product. Pics are with just the running light and turn signal. Brake lights are about twice as bright. I don't know where exactly I would mount one on the Kat, perhaps over the license plate.

The other major option is the Whelen LIN3 and TIR3. They are usually used by EVs, but are fairly easy to wire into a bike. The things are ungodly bright, as in, anyone behind you is going to be seeing spots.
            Last edited by thetable; 05-16-2010, 08:11 PM.
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet
            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

6'2" 205 lbs on a 01 750 and have no problems at all on long or short rides.
              Former Marine 3/97-3/01
              MOS 0161 Semper FI!
              sigpic

Comment

6'5' here, and no problems really. I have a bum knee, and that gives me some issues after a couple hundred mile ride, but thats just do to my past injury.
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

Awesome guys. Thank you all for the imput!
                  Do or do not, there is no Try...
                  -Master Yoda

Current Bike; 2005 Katana 750

Comment

Working...
                  X