X

Full throttle..then second thoughts ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iwannadie
    when the urge to lay on the gas hits me i have to think 'a speeding ticket will double my insurance price!!'. the thought of that keeps me going slow most of the time. then if the thought of loosing a load of money doesnt work i remind myself of what can happen on the streets when breaking speed limits. i hate to think what could happen if im speeding and some van full of kids changes lanes or something and i cause them to get hurt just because i wanted to go fast.

gotta save it for the track.
    really? double? wow! this summer is the first summer i have not gotten a speeding ticket like since i have been riding. i have gottn at least 20 over the last 20 years. i am being conservative because there have been a few summers when i got 2. my insurance has always been under $300 for 1 million liability and comprehension (fire, theft and vandalism).
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

well your in Canada thats why

and thats another reason that i hope to move up there in the next couple of years
      The Katana's Big Brother
      1999 1200s StreetFighter Bandit

Comment

Originally posted by iwannadie
        Originally posted by WildKat
        That same van of kids cutting you off could ruin your day if you're going the speed limit too..so becareful out there no matter what
        alot easier(to me) to be carefull going the speed limit. at least if they change lanes i have better chance they will see me(not just a blur) or a chance of stopping or rolling on the gas. if your going full throttle and do the wrong move your screwed and will be noones fault but your own. going the speed limit will open your options up. or worst case you are in an accident but they cant point any fault on you. go to trial, even if the van pulled directly in front of you so what you were speeding no jury would side with you at least not 100%.
        No disagreements there and yes going the speed limit is the right thing to do... just stating that unfortunately that scenario or a similar one can have bad consequences no matter what the speed. Damn cagers!!!!

Comment

Interesting that most people slow down because of the risks to themselves... but I don't see many people saying that they slow down because of the risks they pose to others.

I have only kicked my Kat up around 100 once - on a deserted straight highway (not a major highway - but a rural one)... and only because I wanted to see how fast the bike really was (gave up at 105-ish - holy crap these things fly!!).

I only need to picture my wife and lovely 4 year old daughter to remind me to keep it sane... because I risk their futures whenever I step outside of the "safety zone".

I keep within 5 miles of the speed limit - always ride with full gear - and ride like a paranoid freak!!

Mind you, I've been riding for almost 30 years (dirt then street) - and I've never put down a street bike, never had a "close call", and never gotten a ticket... and I've had a blast the entire time!!

So, mostly my little voice isn't so little - and keeps me in check almost always! (lucky me, right?)
          Mr. Nice Guy
          '04 Katana 750
          Ride safe, live long!

Comment

I have to drive 35 miles one way to work everyday and it is hard not to speed esp when everyone out here does. speed limit is 65 if you are doing less then 85 you will get run over. There is a long stretch that goes down and then up a hill where you can see everything for about 3 miles awesome spot to really hit it

Comment

I try to resist my urges to go to crazy by keeping a pic of my 3 girls on my keychain. When your in the silence of triple digits and you glance down to check your speed, a quick glance of your kids makes the sanity creep back in, and the speedo drop
              Ray - Thank you, may I have another?

Comment

I behave for the most part and keep it at the track. But when I rap out first and second real quick I forget Im allready running 110. Then cruze 3 and 4 and Im way too fast and have to slow down for street riding. Tickets suck. And insurance is worse.
                Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
                6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
                5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

Working...
                X