X

Short Riders. ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short Riders. ?

I am vertically challanged, I'm 5,6. I have a 2004 kat 600. I can reach the ground but i cant put both my heels on the ground when i'm sitting on my seat, i heard i can lower my bike a tad, i think lowering links i could get but that could bring some issues on turning or i can shave my seat, I only need a inch or less to get my heels on the ground. Any tips would help? thanks guys.

Originally posted by brooder
    Lowering the bike shouldn't cause any problems with the ridability (is that a word?) of the bike. If anything, lowering the center of gravity should help, at least based on normal physics. As for shaving the seat, I'm sure you could remove padding, but your rear end may hate you for it.

As for putting both feet on the ground, try using just one foot. I'm 6 feet tall and still only use one foot. Around here, there are just enough hills that I have to use the rear brake to keep from rolling backward when starting off. That and I don't like holding onto the front brake lever. My hand gets sore rather quickly.
    Switch hands

It had to be said, you left yourself wide open for it.
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Well I use one foot alot but it would be nice to sit at a light and have both feet completely down on the pavement, so lowering links is what i need to lower? if so they hard to install?

Comment

Originally posted by Snag
        Well I use one foot alot but it would be nice to sit at a light and have both feet completely down on the pavement, so lowering links is what i need to lower? if so they hard to install?
        ebaymotors.com has lowering links for your bike all the time, search for them.
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I can put both feet on the ground, but its more comfortable for me to just lean it slightly to one side and rest the majority of the weight on 1 leg. Its all about balance.

Comment

I'm 5'8" and have an 05 600. I can put the balls of my feet on the ground but usually find myself leaning to one side. Hasn't been a problem yet.
            > Vince <

05 Katana 600
            97 Mustang GT
            95 GMC K2500 4x4

Comment

ahh....the joy of being tall and having long legs. haven't came across a bike yet that I can't plant both feet flat on the ground.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Yea i just measured today and my heels are 3 inches off lol, and i heard lowering 3 inches isnt good that true?

Comment

Lower a bike too far and you screw up the handling and cornering clearance .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

You can lower a bike about an 1.5 inches and be sure to lower the front the same.
                    I am only 5'5", have lowered my B12 about 1.5 inches, very little chicken strip and nothing drags.
                    Lowering does help a launch as it will keep the front end down although I don't think a 600 Kat has that problem.

Comment

:-k :-k

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
                          Nice riding boots Matt. They match your steel blue baby pretty good

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                            ahh....the joy of being tall and having long legs. haven't came across a bike yet that I can't plant both feet flat on the ground.
                            I hate you. :flipping:

I'm just jokin'
                            My sig is boring.

Comment

I am a shory too. 5'6" as well. I can plant the toes and ball of my feet, but no heel planting.

Lowering links would do it....but if you do the rear, you'll need to lower the front too....to keep everything in tune.

As for slamming your bike.....ask xofaststevxo
                              He has his bike slammed to the ground. He is unable to carry a passenger, or take curves as low as he wanted, and had to re-arch the kickstand becuase its so low.
                              Looks NICE, but there are problems that arise from it being tooo low.

Sounds like you just want an inch...I dont think you'd have any ill-affects from doing that.
                              My sig is boring.

Comment

Working...
                              X