Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Is carb spray a sure way to find an intake leak?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOTE: A rich problem gets worse as the engine heats up.
    • If the throttle is lightly "blipped" at idle, and the rpm drops below the set idle speed, then rises up to the set idle speed, the low speed mixture screws are probably set too rich: try 1/2 turn in, to lean the idle mixture.

NOTE: A lean problem gets better as the engine heats up.
    • If the throttle is lightly "blipped" at idle, and the rpm "hangs up" before dropping to the set idle speed, and there are no intake leaks and the idle speed is set at less than 1000 rpm, the mixture screws are probably too lean: try 1/2 turn out, to richen mixture. Be sure there are no intake leaks and the idle speed is set at less than 1000 rpm!
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Yeah, I pretty much have that page from Factory Pro memorized! My bike shows signs of being both rich and lean. Lean in that the idle hangs, rich in that there is a bog at 3500. I lowered the needle (raised the clip)and this helped a bit, so there is that richness.
      I am thinking there are two things going on here-
      1) Leak in the carb boots O rings, That accounts for the leaness.
      2) Worn out emulsion tubes- that accounts for the richness. I have emulsion tubes from an old set of carbs I got off of ebay. I swapped them in when I converted my carbs from CA spec to 49 spec. So I ordered both and hopefully that will fix it.

Comment

I had bad orings on the carb boots also, screwed up idle. I used the gold permatex and it sealed it up good. I know alot of people are anti-permatex but the gold has never let me down and I have used it as exhaust and intake gaskets on cars with no problem.
        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
          I had bad orings on the carb boots also, screwed up idle. I used the gold permatex and it sealed it up good. I know alot of people are anti-permatex but the gold has never let me down and I have used it as exhaust and intake gaskets on cars with no problem.
          I thought of using some glue too, but I figured that as long a I was ordering four needle jets, might as well toss in 4 O rings into the cart (like $6 for all four, which is the cost of a tube of Permatex). Since I was getting jacked on shipping, also bought a SUzuki brand oil filter.
          I'll look for a good phillips head to go on my electric impact wrench to remove those tough looking screws, install the O rings, needle jets, reset the needles, synch the whole she-bang and hopefully that will get the big kitty purring again.
          The emulsion tubes came out of a carb set that had a dynojet kit installed and I noticed that when I had a dynokit on my bike, it ate emulsion tubes. They didn't oblong out like in the pics and to the casual eye, they looked fine. However, look with magnifying glass and you could see the gold glint of wear around the inner top edge of the hole. More importantly, hold an worn one next to a brand new emulsion tube, the old one had a noticeably larger hole diameter.
          Last edited by DClark; 04-09-2010, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
            I thought of using some glue too, but I figured that as long a I was ordering four needle jets, might as well toss in 4 O rings into the cart (like $6 for all four, which is the cost of a tube of Permatex). Since I was getting jacked on shipping, also bought a SUzuki brand oil filter.
            I'll look for a good phillips head to go on my electric impact wrench to remove those tough looking screws, install the O rings, needle jets, reset the needles, synch the whole she-bang and hopefully that will get the big kitty purring again.
            The emulsion tubes came out of a carb set that had a dynojet kit installed and I noticed that when I had a dynokit on my bike, it ate emulsion tubes. They didn't oblong out like in the pics and to the casual eye, they looked fine. However, look with magnifying glass and you could see the gold glint of wear around the inner top edge of the hole. More importantly, hold an worn one next to a brand new emulsion tube, the old one had a noticeably larger hole diameter.

Good decision, there is NO dealership with in 75 miles of me and I didn't want to pay 15$ shipping on 3$ parts. I used a hand impact with a #3 phillips bit to loosen them.

Comment

How many miles did your bike have
              when your o rings were leaking?

Comment

My carb spray is definitely gumout and it definitely makes the bike rev.
                Katie - 91 Kat 600, 98 Bandit 600 engine, Ivan Jet Kit, Ignition Advancer, Gsxr 750 header, Delkevic slip on, Veypor computer.

Comment

Working...
                X