X

I am back.... with an R6.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am back.... with an R6.

For those who don't know, I totalled my Katana about 3 weeks ago. Today, I bought a 1999 Yamaha R6. If my camera weren't smashed in the crash, I'd have pictures to show. It is in great condition, with 12,000 miles and very clean.

This bike is SO different from the Katana!!! It handles amazingly! It just takes a touch and the bike simply drops right into each turn. The Kat was a pretty long bike; the R6 feels TINY! I am stunned that the bike is actually reasonably comfortable. The engine is very smooth and there is plenty of power.

Did I pick a decent replacement? Any thoughts?
    Ride like your life depends on it.

It's a superbly engineered machine with high quality components. The usual suspects on an used one are the headstock bearings (too many harsh wheelie landings) and the rectifiers for the charging system (known to fail early -- bad design/poor heat sink). Many owners replace both with improved alternatives.

If you tend to ride a couple hours at a pop or less, it can be very comfortable. If you tend to ride all day, for most riders, it becomes quite uncomfortable as the day progresses... make it multiple days on end and you can pretty much hang it up.

Also: schedule a track day. You have an ideal bike for it

Congrats!

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Definitely a Track Day bike, good choice you made. Like Cyber said, if you commute you will not like it but you can take long rides. I reccomend if you do, stop often.
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

A friend of mine has a ´99 R6 and a ´04 R1, and he rides in summer the R6 as his commuter bike to work (80 km at day). Bike has near to 70000 km and no major problems.
        PICSSSS!!!!

Comment

I love R6's
          Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

R6s are sweet. Good luck with it.

Comment

Glad to hear you have healed and are back on two wheels ... congratulations!
              ~ Lisa
              2005 CBR 600RR (nicely modified)
              2005 CBR 600RR Track Toy "Frank"

My motorcycle, my dogs (Piper & Capone - the Pet Bulls) and a cold beer ... what more could a girl ask for???

www.austinsbr.com and www.txsbr.com

Comment

Yeah, those R6's sure do feel a lot shorter than the Katana. And they sure can move too!

Congrats
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

Thanks. Great to hear all the positive feedback.

I believe the rectifiers have been replaced already; not sure if that was done with an upgrade. The seller did not seem like the wheelie type and he put 99% of the miles on the bike.

My main concern is the very tough clutch pull!!! My forearm is in pain today from riding last night. I don't even want to go out today. What can I do???

I am so amazed at how well this bike handles!!! I will consider the trade, slow50

Comment

Originally posted by SoloScott
                    My main concern is the very tough clutch pull!!! My forearm is in pain today from riding last night. I don't even want to go out today. What can I do???

I am so amazed at how well this bike handles!!! I will consider the trade, slow50
                    (A) Scour the R6 forums to see if the clutch pull is normal, or if it's a bad clutch cable/replacement springs/etc. I don't recall the R1's clutch pull being any stronger than the Kats... and suspect the R6 would be the same.

(B) Give it a day or two -- your arm will get used to it (build up muscles for it) and you might not notice it again.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

You can get lube for a lot cheaper than $25.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                        (A) Scour the R6 forums to see if the clutch pull is normal, or if it's a bad clutch cable/replacement springs/etc. I don't recall the R1's clutch pull being any stronger than the Kats... and suspect the R6 would be the same.

(B) Give it a day or two -- your arm will get used to it (build up muscles for it) and you might not notice it again.

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Thanks. I have searched the R6 forums and found only one post similar to my problem. There was no conclusive solution to the problem, but there were other (similar) suggestions.

I have heard of stiffer clutch springs for this bike, but I don't know if they were used or if the clutch was replaced.

I let some friends pull the clutch and they think it is crazy stiff! I don't know if I can even ride today because the clutch is so tough to pull.

What is the best lube to use? Oil? Drip it in from the top of the cable?

I agree that the Kat's clutch was tough at first too, but this is crazy. At least I could ride a second day on the Kat to get used to it.

I am going to do a big adjustment. Maybe part of my problem is WHERE the clutch is tough. The friction point is all the way at the end of the lever movement (it needs adjustment). If I move the friction point back towards the middle of the pull, maybe it will be less intense where my hand is weakest.

Comment

what i wanna know is , why are the brakes on the R6 so friggin touchy? You barely sqeeze and its grabs hard, sqeeze hard in a panic and your doing a stoppie. Compared to the katana.

You would think the touchy ones would be on the heavier bike.
                          " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

Originally posted by SoloScott
                            I let some friends pull the clutch and they think it is crazy stiff! I don't know if I can even ride today because the clutch is so tough to pull.

What is the best lube to use? Oil? Drip it in from the top of the cable?
                            My guess is the cable is ready to be replaced from the sounds of it, and I'd suggest you order a new one ($20?). Meanwhile, take the existing one, disconnect it at both ends, slap an old spark plug boot over one end and start spraying it down with WD-40. Let the other end hang free so that it drains out any debris or rust. Since WD-40 is half stoddard solution (dry cleaning solution) and half mineral oil, it should clean and lube it up as well as can be expected by any product -- just make sure it can drain out the excess stoddard solution before you reinstall it.

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Good luck with your new ride!
                              www.photobucket.com/albums/y152/rotary13b/

Comment

Working...
                              X