Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Physical differences between 600 & 750 (pre-98)?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical differences between 600 & 750 (pre-98)?

I just picked up a '97 kat 600 for a friend this past saturday, and the most glaring difference (between my his 600 and my '92 750) is the tail section... the 600 looks so much more modern than the 750. So it got me thinking about the physical differences between the models and what might be interchangable...

I noticed that all the replacement panels listed for the early kats in my dennis kirk catalog were the same part numbers, the only exception being the rear panels...

How difficult it would be to swap a pre-98 kat 600 tail section on the 750 frame? I was just playing with fiche images from www.ronayers.com - and it appears that the frame itself is the same, but there are a few minor bolt-on parts that are different. If that's the case - a 600 tail should be a pretty straightforward swap, right?

Anyone have experience with comparing the bikes or has looked into which parts are or are not interchangable? (I did some searching through past threads, but didn't come up with any concrete info).

Also, anyone know a good place to find some "donor" parts? (like an entire pre-98 tail section?)

The 600 and 750 do share the same main fairings, lowers and tank but NO the 600 tail will not fit on the 750. The frames are pretty similar but the most notable difference is the welded bracket that the seat latch attaches to on the 750 it is farther back. You are also missing the "pop" mount holes that hold the 600 tail in place on the subframe.
    I won't say that it can't be done, look at my ride profile, if your creative you can do almost anything you like, but it will not be a straight bolt on.

Other notable changes between the two. The 750 swingarm is 1.5" longer than the 600. Fork tubes are the same but 750 use a different clamp and the bars are higher so if you want to change you have to use the entire clamp not just the top piece.
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

you would have to mount the 600 seat frame on the 750 to get it to work. Having said that the 600 is shorter because of the subframe

EDIT: Jim hit all of it right on spot!
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Wait a minute is the tail so different because one bike is a 600 and the other is a 750 or is the difference because of the model redesign that took place in 98? I assume that there is a lot less of a difference between a post 98 600 and a post 98 750. Is that true?

Comment

Thanks guys... after you mention the mounting point differences, I rechecked my comparison (see attached GIF) - and although subtle, I can now identify the changes.

I think that as it stands now, I may go ahead and look at simply modifying the existing tail (for a more-modern taillight fixture, and possibly a slighly more contoured shape), as I'm more handy on the fiberglass side of things than I am with a welder.

Originally posted by tzortn
          Wait a minute is the tail so different because one bike is a 600 and the other is a 750 or is the difference because of the model redesign that took place in 98?
          The two I'm comparing are both pre-98 (a '92 & a '97 to be exact).

I assume that there is a lot less of a difference between a post 98 600 and a post 98 750. Is that true?
          That's what I understand... the 98+ models are almost entirely the same, but I've never seen the two side-by-side (at least not for comparison sake).
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT
            (original post)...difference (between my his 600 and my '02 750) is the tail...
            I believe this is causing the confusion...
            "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Originally posted by Teh_K
              (original post)...difference (between my his 600 and my '02 750) is the tail...
              I believe this is causing the confusion...
              Doh! my mistake... sausage finger syndrome... '92 & '97 are the correct years being compared (fixed my original post to reflect this). Thanks for pointing it out!!

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
                I assume that there is a lot less of a difference between a post 98 600 and a post 98 750. Is that true?
                98-02 entire body is interchangable and there is no difference other than factory colors available. 03-05 use a different tail but 600 and 750 are still the same, just color availability changes by year.

98-02 and 03-05 tails I believe can be swapped but you must use matching shovel from the year you are installing as they are different widths at the bottom. Run a search here for that one, I know there are a couple of people who have been trying to make that swap that have run into problems.
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

If only we knew that guy that did Fred's tail swap before he bought it

Comment

Rob, if you come to the shop, we can make you something cool. And it can be made outa metal too!!!!

Just remember though.... I get to play with the torch.
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

The 97 600 only has a side stand; the 97 750 has a centerstand .................. sorry, sore point, so I had to mention it!

Comment

JB weld or glue the 600 one on there.

Comment

Originally posted by nurider
                          The 97 600 only has a side stand; the 97 750 has a centerstand .................. sorry, sore point, so I had to mention it!
                          Seriously ? That's messed up right there .
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                            Originally posted by nurider
                            Seriously ? That's messed up right there .
                            Yep, there was a thread on this recently.
                            Actually, the manual covers the 1997 600 and the 1997 750, and it shows the centerstand for the 750 and a sidestand for the 600.
                            Cheapskates!

Comment

yep, I only have the side stand. When you guys were talking about centerstand, I was like WTF??? for so long...

Comment

Working...
                              X