X

Security Devices

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Devices

The thread about locking the steering got me thinking... What kind of things do you guys use to secure your bikes (locks, alarms, chains, etc.)? I park in my garage overnight at home, but I work late hours and I don't feel like my bike is very secure in the parking lot here at work sometimes.
    - Bakken (Bah-Kin)

-----------------------------------------------------

If u park your bike at night in the open or in a parking garage...... I'd definately have a disc lock at the very least. You can get the big motorcycle security chains and locks at any dealer or online.

Comment

A garage. And I don't wash it for a deterent.

Comment

I chain mine to a telephone pole, put on the disk lock, put on the cover and lock the cover through the grommets with a cable lock and last but not least put on the alarm.
        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

I've just got a scare on my bike ... some little piece of s***t tried to steal my bike. They busted up the ignition but not bad enough that the key wouldn't work. So ... can anyone give me an idea how much a bike alarm would cost?? I'm going to get a disk lock but how effective are they really? It won't keep them from trying to bust up my bike, but nothing will really do that I suppose. Mostly I'm wondering how much a bike alarm would cost. I have a 1992 Katana GSX600F.
          Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it.

Comment

Bike alarms vary in price from the low-ball $50 or so, up to the top-of-the-line at around $500 (with cell or pager notification). A lot of people opt for the Aritronix Scorpio SR-i500, which runs for about $300, plus another $20 to $40 for the premade plug-in adaptor cable to connect it to your Kat. The scorpio works well, provided you're in range (1 mile is open desert distance -- it can be 100 ft or less in urban areas with lots of metal in the construction of the buildings).

Q: Was the bike locked with a chain or other deterent other than the key lock? If so, was that lock highly visible, and did they defeat (or try to defeat) it?

As you may know, I manufacture and sell MotorcycleAnchor brand motorcycle ground security anchors (aka lock-off points). Odds are if your bike was chained down to one (bright orange, hefty), these thieves would have seen it and decided to pass on it immediately.

Remember that visibility plays into the security equation heavily at the outset of the incident -- disk locks, though effective, aren't always very visible (if you use one, get the coiled cord that goes from the disklock to the ignition keyhole to make it more visible).

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Just buy a Triumph!
              (ever hear of the Canadians getting their bike stolen! )

Comment

I have an armed guard watch over my bike when I can't.

Seriously, I have nothing. Always heard the disk locks are a waste of money since they don't keep the bike from being lifted into the back of a truck or van. An alarm with a pager works as a early indicator that you'll be in the market for a new bike soon. Pretty much the only decent method of actual protection is having it chained to something immovable (telephone pole, Cyber's anchor thing, etc.), or kept in a locked garage.
                01000010 01101001 01101100 01101100 01111001 01000010 01100001 01100100 01000001 01110011 01110011

Comment

At home I park it under its Bike Barn, with an homemade anchor of sorts - a 3 foot column of concrete dug about 5 feet down in the ground (I have a driveway made of slag). The concrete has imbedded a hardened shackle, with a hardened heavy duty chain attached to it. I use the chain the lock up the bike (a kyrptonite padlock).

When at work, it's parked in the parkade across from my office, I can actually see it from the windows.

On the road, I use a XENA disk lock, the ones that have the built in motion alarm. I'm hoping that the would be thief scumbag will either see the lock or be spooked off by the alarm, but like it was said earlier, usually alarms are a indication that you need to buy a new bike.

Comment

Remember that visibility plays into the security equation heavily at the outset of the incident -- disk locks, though effective, aren't always very visible (if you use one, get the coiled cord that goes from the disklock to the ignition keyhole to make it more visible).

Very true, the more work they have to do to get what they want, the less likely they will be to pick ur bike. Doesnt mean that it cant and doesnt happen. If somebody wants ur bike, u could have it locked down in ft knox and somebody will find a way to get it unfortunately.. but as a general rule of them.. as stated before,make it as difficult as possible on the bastard theives!

Comment

Originally posted by ngilbert
                      At home I park it under its Bike Barn, with an homemade anchor of sorts - a 3 foot column of concrete dug about 5 feet down in the ground (I have a driveway made of slag). The concrete has imbedded a hardened shackle, with a hardened heavy duty chain attached to it.
                      Great solution -- I applaud you!

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The more hurdles you put in the way of a bike thief, the better your chances are he'll move onto easier targets and leave yours alone. If a pro wants your bike he'll get it, period.
                        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

i use absolutely noting. no steering lock, no chains (except when i travel i chain it to the trailer), no anchor...nothing. a thief could easily wheel it away.
                          seeing as i just collected $2000+ for an old lady knocking it over, having it stolen would not disappoint me too much. that would be good for another $3500-4000. i could end up getting $5500-6000 total for my old 93 1100.
                          so if you have thieves in your area, stick a post-it on your bike with my address. if they snatch it on your referal, i will give you 5% of the cut.
                          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Great Idea, now I know my bike will be safe. Everyone should get one of these.
                            - Bakken (Bah-Kin)

Comment

There are a whole bunch of those two way alarms on ebay.

I was thinking of getting something lke that along with one of those corded disk locks CP mentioned.
                              - Bakken (Bah-Kin)

Comment

Working...
                              X