X

98+ Kat 600 said "Best Commuter" in Bike UK

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98+ Kat 600 said "Best Commuter" in Bike UK

That's right -- you heard it, one of the magazines (Bike UK, Aug '05) that loves to normally slam the Kats also voted it best commuter in their large used bike articles (not the small listings in the back). Some bad things to say, but most of them are pretty true...

You can read it for yourself here , or just pick-up the August issue of what I believe to be the best English-language bike mag on the market period (yes, I have a subscription -- to this and about 7 other MC mags; no, they don't pay me to say things for them).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Can't say that I agree with the "incredibly ugly plastic carapace" but atleast they got one part right, the actually mentioned Best and Katana in the same phrase

Comment

it seemed like all the article did was talk bad about the bike, other than saying it was comfortable and cheap....?
      Fa Shizzle

UNC 2005 NCAA National Champions!!

Comment

Originally posted by RwC xXx
        it seemed like all the article did was talk bad about the bike, other than saying it was comfortable and cheap....?
        The were pretty much blatently honest, actually. My Kat's engine developed corrosion WAY early in its life. The components are bottom shelf. It is bulky. But, it is an easy to live with and easy to ride fairly comfortable machine that can be had for CHEAP. It's a budget bike and built with the components of such...
        -Steve

Comment

yeh i don't disgree with what they were saying, i just think if your writing an article calling a bike or any automobile best of anything it's probably a better idea to focus a little more on the +'s of it instead of pointing out all the downfalls of it.
          Fa Shizzle

UNC 2005 NCAA National Champions!!

Comment

I think they did hit all of its good points. Easy to live with (ie it's easy to work on and maintain), easy to ride, and is fairly comfortable. What other positives are there? (other than a good site dedicated to them?)

On the 10 point scale for sport bikes, handing is a 3 or 4, build quality a 5 or 6, fit and finish about a 4 and component quality a 3. Power is about a 3 for the 600 and 5 for the 750. Value is where you get your 10 and comfort is about a 7 or 8. Reliability is about a 7 or 8, too.
            -Steve

Comment

Pretty accurate I guess. I still hold firm in my opinion of the looks of the 98+ bikes. They are good looking bikes except for that darned tail light lense!! I wish there was a replacement lens in a different shape. Something flatter and not cone shaped. Just my $0.2!!

Comment

Listen, if a GSXR1100 had the riding position, price and insurance cost of my katana 750 that is what I would be riding. It doesn't, so I am not.

The katana is an all around bike - a good commuter is reliable, comfortable and cheap to buy and own. It is good at almost everything at the expense of being exceptional at nothing.

I have not heard of one breaking that wasn't abused.
                I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Kats are the best for us who are looking for that easy fun commute. She gets my heart pumping without putting my stomach in my throat.

If i wanted to be a squid i could, but i'm not looking to kill myself and i have plenty of fun with my Katana, which i find much more functional then any GSXR.

Cops see me on my Kat and know i'm out just to ride, have fun, and be safe. They see the GSXR behind me and know that idiot is going to speed at one point or another. Low insurance, low cost, and low profile.

21,000 miles and still going strong isnt bad either!

I agree with MX, too, KATS LOOK GREAT!

Comment

Originally posted by Flip
                    Cops see me on my Kat and know i'm out just to ride, have fun, and be safe. They see the GSXR behind me and know that idiot is going to speed at one point or another.
                    No , I din't think any cops that don't ride would even know the difference . Remember the Winslow tape where they tried to use a "Katamka" to simulate what might've happend in that crash ? Alls cops see is a bike wrapped in plastic and think "I wonder if I could catch that if he ran..." .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I've heard nothing but praise for the looks of the 98+ Katanas from everyone in my area. I think the pre 98's are fine as well, they just show the older sport bike 'lines'.

As for Corrosion, can you say "proper maintainence"? My brother has a 94 and it doesn't have any noticable corrosion on it. My friend at work has a, 02 and its clean as well.

Just what Katana did this 'mag' look at? Must've been owned by a squid who didn't ride it.
                      You can have my Kat when you pry my cold dead butt from upon it.

Comment

Originally posted by kanventure
                        As for Corrosion, can you say "proper maintainence"? My brother has a 94 and it doesn't have any noticable corrosion on it. My friend at work has a, 02 and its clean as well.

Just what Katana did this 'mag' look at? Must've been owned by a squid who didn't ride it.
                        Or stored outside... I have no choice and my '02 is rusting in several places

/kiba
                        find / -name "*your base*" -exec chown us:us {} \;

You must realize that someday you will die-until you know that, you are useless

If you can't make it fit with a sledge hammer, don't force it!

Comment

The only people that usully dis-like the Kats looks are people who think some RR is the only way to go. Everone else says my bike looks awesome...

But they even touched on a problem I have now, a noise camchain.
                          --
                          Sagan

Comment

I love my Kat and have gotten only good comments about it. It's the bike that I wanted and thats all that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by stevnmd
                              I think they did hit all of its good points. Easy to live with (ie it's easy to work on and maintain), easy to ride, and is fairly comfortable. What other positives are there? (other than a good site dedicated to them?)
                              On the 10 point scale for sport bikes, handing is a 3 or 4, build quality a 5 or 6, fit and finish about a 4 and component quality a 3. Power is about a 3 for the 600 and 5 for the 750. Value is where you get your 10 and comfort is about a 7 or 8. Reliability is about a 7 or 8, too.
                              Yeah where was KR in that article..WTF !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X