X

Brushed Stainless Exhaust

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brushed Stainless Exhaust

Ok, the previous owner of my bike must have droped it making a low speed turn(5-10 mph) and the Yosh RS-3 can and mid-pipe have a some scratches on it now and they are an eyesore to me and i don't have the green to get a new one. So, i was thinking of useing a grinder or sand paper or wirewheel and making it look like brushed stainless just a little more aggressive and deeper with the scratches on on it. I think it would look good, but i want to hear what other people think and if there are any unseen problems i might run into. It would look kinda like this but a little deeper with the markings.

come on, nobody has any input? over 30 people have looked at this and nobody is going to give there 2 cents? LOL

Comment

If it is a STAINLESS pipe, go for it! If it a mild STEEL pipe, it will RUST!!! Ray.
      85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

if its aluminum wet sand and polish it will look new again

Comment

its a stainless steel pipe

Comment

Brushing it isn't a bad idea.....I'd have to see it with the rest fo the bike
            This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
            BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

I have only ever brushed one pipe, I liked it at first, because it looked better than the scuffed up one I had before, but it still didn't look finished to me, I dunno, it's not bad if that's what you like.
              Needs an anger powered jetpack.

Comment

you can polish stainless as well. alot of elbow grease, but it will work.
                Bling....

Comment

I'd vote for re-polishing over trying to get a uniform brushed finish. It's probably not that much more work, since you only have to work on the scratched areas (vs. the entire thing). Start really coarse, maybe even using a fine flat file to remove the worst scratching, then go to finer and finer grades of wet sandpaper - up to 1500 or 2000 eventually. Then a cloth wheel with some fine rubbing compound ought to ge things back tolike new finish.

Comment

Originally posted by WildSide View Post
                    come on, nobody has any input? over 30 people have looked at this and nobody is going to give there 2 cents? LOL
                    I didn't want to be the first one to say "I don't like the idea".

But, since you asked for it, here is my 0.02.

Getting the brushed finish to look decent is going to take a lot of work and even more skill. Unless it's really even, both in depth of scratches and direction of them, it's going to look amateur. Think paint job with a brush.

Polishing out scratches is actually easier. Even deep ones. It won't look perfect, but MY OPINION is that less than perfect scratch removal will look far better than less than perfect brushed finish.

Comment

Not sure where I came across them......but someone actually markets sleeves that simply go over your existing can. Trust me.... I feel your pain..... I have this to deal with before the season opens.
                      Attached Files
                      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                      ------------------------------------------
                      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I did that to my stock mufflers. It looks better then obvious scratches and such.

Comment

ok, cool, getting some answers! lol i was also thining of painting it a nice flat black, but i am also liking the idea of repolishing. IDK, i like all the ideas i am leaning more to painting it, then i go back to brushing it. either way i will post before and after when i get it done.

Comment

1. 4 or 6" circular, rubber padded sanding disk that chucks into an air tool, or if you don't have a compressor and tool, a drill will work. Easily found at lowes.
                            2. Stick on, circular sanding pads of the appropriate grits sized for the sanding disk. Easily found at most auto paint/body repair supplys (or like Napa, not so much with autozone or advance).
                            3. 200, 400, 800, 1500 grits.
                            In 15 mins or less using this setup with the air tool, you would have a surface preped to put a mirror polish on stainless. Use a buffing wheel with fine polish compound to bring the high luster finish if you want a perfect reflection, but it will be close without the buffing. Drill may be a little slower, but not too bad.

Oh, basic instuctions...

Clean surface well.
                            Match the grit to the scratches your trying to remove. (If fine scratches, just use a slightly finer grit of paper.)
                            Blend area so that you can't tell sanded from the original scratches. Remember to sand across scratches, not with. Same thing for when you change grits... sand across the prior direction, not with.
                            Increase grits when uniform look. Sand slightly larger area as you go, blending.
                            Clean/wipe down work surface with a soft, clean rag each time before changing grits. When you start getting finer grits, it's easy to add larger scratches back with a dirty/rough rag.

Krey
                            Last edited by Kreylyn; 02-27-2010, 03:53 AM.
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I know your trying to save some cash, and I'm sure you can get some good results eather brushing it or polishing it out. or if you can free up
                              $75 yoshimura sells replacement SS sleeve for the RS-3, or there a guy on E-bay that sells a high quality carbon fiber replacement for $90. The sleeve and a few rivets will take care of it.
                              Richard
                              96 Suzuki GSX750F
                              89 Suzuki GSX600F Project
                              05 Yamaha WR450F
                              05 Yamaha YZ450F

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X