X

Oil Frothing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Frothing

Okay so I changed the oil in the ol Kat in February end after moving to my new place. Its been about 1000 miles since and yesterday I was riding some inner roads and at a slow turn when I used my clutch to gear down at a turn and the bike slowed down the engine quit on me and the red oil light came on. I dont ride often just occasionally on weekends and a couple weekdays. This happened twice. I rode back home because a nice storm was brewing and had a look at my oil window and saw that the oil was frothing a lot and it was way above the Full mark on center stand. Now I remember distinctly not overfilling the thing and so far I have never had a problem in the last 1000 miles.

My question: Is the frothing bad? Will it cause the engine to quit? I am thinking of changing the oil again.......I know its just 1000 miles...but is it okay? any suggestions.

frothing is bad - it usually means water intrusion. on an air cooled bike that would point to condensation.

change the oil & look how it's being stored. If you start the bike make sure the motor gets hot enough to burn off the condensation. after your done riding don't put a cover over it until it cool.

tim

Comment

Tim had one of the primary causes correct... Frothing is also highly dependent on the type of oil formulation used.
      I don't know what kind of oil you were using, but I am ready to bet that it wasn't JASO-MA rated, which has a very tight specifications on formulation to prevent frothing under all conditions (part of the standard is a frothing test, and is significantly tighter than the API's standard).

I'll ditto his advice:
      Change the oil, use good motorcycle-specific oil that's rated both API SF/SG rated AND JASO-MA. When you fire up the bike in storage, let it heat up quite a bit before shutting down -- at least enough that any water in the oil can boil off.
      Finally: drain your airbox tube. If there was a lot of water in the oil, it probably recondensed in your airbox.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

don't you guys check your oil level without a stand?and can't low oil make it floth but sounds like that was not the problem,just curios.

Comment

Originally posted by the wind
          don't you guys check your oil level without a stand?and can't low oil make it floth but sounds like that was not the problem,just curios.
          (A) I check mine on the centerstand.
          (B) Low oil levels will not normally make it froth. Frothing is normally a side-effect of an oil behind whipped (think whipped cream) combined with a formulation that permits the froth to remain (rather than immediately breaking down), or the presence of water/steam in the oil (think cappacino milk froth) combined with a formulation that permits the froth to remain (rather than immediately breaking down). It's the second one you tend to notice in the oil window if you see it...

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Full

Over filling causes whipping of the oil too.

It's a simple and cheap fix.
            "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Thanks for the info guys....I am guess I might have overfilled.....dang....I am sure I calculated 4 quarts but i always buy one extra just in case and i think I put that in too.........I will change the oil and filter just to be sure this weekend.

Comment

You put 5 quarts in? OUCH!!

Comment

I dont think you could even fit 5 quarts in there... if i remember right 4qts is even too much.
                  I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
                  http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

It will fit, trust me.
                    Just remember to not fill the bike when it leaning (such as on the kick stand). I made that mistake with my first oil change.

Comment

Originally posted by skasner
                      I dont think you could even fit 5 quarts in there... if i remember right 4qts is even too much.
                      You can easily get 5 quarts in there with a filter change... it will bring the oil past the full mark, but it will readily fit in there... For that matter, you can get 7 or 8 in there without any leaking -- but you'll feel the difference as the crank tries to go sloshing through it each rotation.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                      X