X

What's your crusing speed/RPM?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your crusing speed/RPM?

I know Hondas get the best gas mileage at 3000rpm(+- a little depending on motor).
    I can't figure out which gear I should be in, as all of them seem good for some reason or another. (3rd-5th)

On the Kat, what a RPM are you guys at when city driving? (50mph)

Highway? (75-80)

6000 feels good to me most of the time. Not too loud and you can still get on it and pass people when needed.

LMK, thanks,

Sam

Re: What's your crusing speed/RPM?

Originally posted by Black
    I know Hondas get the best gas mileage at 3000rpm(+- a little depending on motor).
    I can't figure out which gear I should be in, as all of them seem good for some reason or another. (3rd-5th)

On the Kat, what a RPM are you guys at when city driving? (50mph)

Highway? (75-80)

6000 feels good to me most of the time. Not too loud and you can still get on it and pass people when needed.

LMK, thanks,

Sam

3000 RPM - 55 mph

3500 RPM - 80 mph

4500 RPM - 100 mph

I usually ride in 4th or 5th around the city.
    sigpic

Comment

In a Busa or Katana? It feels like I'm stressing the motor too much crusing at 3000, but maybe its not too bad.

Comment

My B12 does the best at 4k rpm/70 mph.

Comment

5000 RPM is 70 MPH on my 750. Bike really smooths out at 5500-6000.

Comment

I also hang my 750 around 5-5.5k, usually 4th gear and going 55-60mph.

I bought the Kat with a D&D pipe already on it, so anything over 6k is rather loud. I either need to get the thing repacked or pony up and buy a new slipon.

Comment

In a Busa or Katana? It feels like I'm stressing the motor too much crusing at 3000, but maybe its not too bad.

Sorry. The Busa. I'll check the Kat when I ride it later this week. I don't think the Kat likes to cruise at 3000. 5-6000 is more like it.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flip
                I also hang my 750 around 5-5.5k, usually 4th gear and going 55-60mph.

I bought the Kat with a D&D pipe already on it, so anything over 6k is rather loud. I either need to get the thing repacked or pony up and buy a new slipon.
                I'm thinking about swapping out the D&D, too. It's getting louder than the Busa.
                sigpic

Comment

When I had my ('01) Kat600 with a D&D, I made a point of cruising at low RPMs in town. It drew a lot of attention above 5k.

At 30-40mph, I tried to keep the RPMs around 4k (4th gear @ 40mph was just under 4k RPMs). I usually shifted to 6th at about 60mph (when not getting on it) and the RPMs were about 4500. In 6th gear: 80mph=6k RPMs.
                  Ride like your life depends on it.

Comment

6k = 75mph

typical leisurely cruise is 7800 - 8k RPM for me on the interstate... just around 100 mph I think.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

5k is 55mph, 6k is 75mph. Think its geared a little?
                      Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
                      6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
                      5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

You're not stressing out the motor by cruising at 3000 rpm, unless your really doggin it in a highgear in traffic.

I try to keep it at about 3500 in 3rd gear or so in the city so I have plenty of power if I need it..and out in the highway, 7-8000 usually unless Im riding hard.

Comment

4,500rpm =60mph
                          6,000rpm =75mph
                          That's on a Kat 750 2005
                          R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

holy crap.....i don't even know what cruising at 3000 is. On the hwy i am at least 5k. anwhere else i am 5-6k. when i went to new hamshire riding with katman05, i think i did a tank more than him...maybe a bit more. he filled up for $3.50 i think....cost me $9.00
                            I do have an 1100 so fir sure i burn more....but my bike is always turning higher rpms. you will have more trouble with fouling the plugs if you are always running it low on the rpms. especially if it is running a bit rich. they are built to handle the rpms...don't be afraid to use them.
                            I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

75mph freeway 6th gear, 7K rpm with -1 front/ +6 rear sprockets
                              " The key to Immortality., is first living a life worth remembering." -St Augustine

Comment

Working...
                              X