X

rise of the katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rise of the katana

I'm in fredericksburg, Va and it seems that everyday I see a new kat in town. The only down side is when ever I see them we are always traveling in different directions. I love seeing more people representin' Gixxers are awsome but I truly believe that a katana is a thing of beauty.

The kat is a timeless machine who even though it may not be in its prime anymore, its still one of the best all around rides for the money.

Comment

Wildkat wrote
      The kat is a timeless machine who even though it may not be in its prime anymore, its still one of the best all around rides for the money.
      +1
      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by katman05
        Wildkat wrote
        +1
        +2

Comment

Most definitely a think of beauty!!

I will not give up my Katana. Even if I do have another machine. All bikes serve certain purposes and the Kat is doing that for me.
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

You cant give it up now, especially now that you have that blue mohawk to match!

Comment

Yeah I love my Kat. Even though I have a cracked fairing and some rash, I love it. Sure it would be nice to upgrade to a Gixxer, BUT...I think the Kat is more my speed and more "me". Definitely not getting rid of mine anytime soon.
              KARA

I'm a whole lotta woman, but a whole lotta fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Firewa11
                I'm trying to convince a buddy of mine that the Kat is a better deal, but his heart is set on a Honda Interceptor... he's never ridden before, but he's convinced the linked brakes + ABS is important. *shrug*
                If he's never ridden before, the ABS may well save his life at some point (esp. in the first couple years). Warn him about the valve adjustment service cost of the VTech versions though -- have him ask the dealer what they get for a valve adjustment service.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Seems past 2 years kats are selling like hotcakes up here in T.O.
                  Insurance rates are killing the litre bikes and R rated bikes off in the market.
                  So cheap to buy a litre bike here now...as most cant afford the insurance.
                  That said..still loving my kat..cant think of anything I'd like to change UP to.
                  Well cept the CBR929/954RR....was this close | | to getting one....insurance killed that idea.

Comment

My Kat is defenitely growing on me (only been a bike rider/bike owner for 2 months now). At first i loved her, then i realized that maybe i made a snap decision on buying it (got a real good deal used) and wasnt sure i made the right decision, but lately i KNOW i made the right decision and am happy with her on every ride.

I do have myself thinking that in a few years i will try out an SV650S, but my Kat has been a great learning experience and i enjoy it.

Comment

The Kat is new to me, but it's for commuting and general riding. When I want to try and scare myself I take out my old GS (7/11). I've been riding for more years than I care to admit and yes the bikes always feel down on powwer after you get used to them. THAT's why we mod them.
                      '98 GSX750F

Comment

I dont see many Kats were I am on Long Island or some of the local places I ride. I kind of like it that way. Makes me feel like I am not following the herd of GSXR's and R-1s etc!!

Comment

The VFR is not a beginner's bike... Once that VTEC kicks in it screams pretty well. Also, the VTEC is the main reason I suggest a beginner NOT riding one. If the VTEC transition kicks in mid-corner, the results could be less than pretty. It's a complicated machine which isn't conducive to learning the fine art of motorcycle maintence, either...

The valve adjustments are pricey. However, if you pay a shop to do the valve adjustments anyway, the VTEC will actually cost you less money than a Katana. The Kat's valves are supposed to be checked / adjusted every 4k miles. The VTEC valve service interval is ever 16k miles. So, it's a pay me now or pay me later thing...
                          -Steve

Comment

Originally posted by stevnmd
                            The valve adjustments are pricey. However, if you pay a shop to do the valve adjustments anyway, the VTEC will actually cost you less money than a Katana. The Kat's valves are supposed to be checked / adjusted every 4k miles. The VTEC valve service interval is ever 16k miles. So, it's a pay me now or pay me later thing...
                            I don't know which model years for the Katana have a 4k mile valve check interval, but the 98 - 05 models' owners manual and shop guides both state 7.5k miles on valve adjustments. If the VTec VFR is 16k miles, then the cost would probably be roughly equivilent. On the other hand, a typical mildly mechanically inclined ape can do a set of Katana valves at home (I use myself as an example).

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Funny you should bring this up. My New Bike choices were between an 05 VFR and an 05 GSX750. The valve adjustment timing was minimal on my list for the reason CP brought up. The VFR is every 16k and the GSX is every 7.5k, but the price basically evens out. My final choice was based on owner loyalty and a close friend that owned a GSX600.

I'm VERY pleased with my choice.
                              You can have my Kat when you pry my cold dead butt from upon it.

Comment

Working...
                              X