X

Helmet lock question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet lock question

How exactly does the helmet fit on/in the holder w/the key on the side of the bike? Man I feel stupid for asking this. A pic would be cool too.]

thanks,
    Vince
    > Vince <

05 Katana 600
    97 Mustang GT
    95 GMC K2500 4x4

ive always found it a pain in the ass too, but if you hang it just right, usually with me i put the bottom of the helmet facing up with the front facing twoards the front of the bike, you can get the loops of your helmet strap in it

Comment

Don't feel bad about asking. I have given up on even trying to use the locking helmet hook. I just use the one under the seat.

Comment

I don't use it much either.. when I do though, I open the face mask, fit the straps together thru the D-rings, and then just work the strap thru the open slot and turn the key to hold it fast.

but yeah, its much easier to just strap it to the cargo hold under your seat if your just gonna hang it on your bike while its parked. If you really need to transport another helmet, just get a cargo net for like 10.00 or less, that fits over your rear seat, and put the helmet underneath the net.

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
          I don't use it much either.. when I do though, I open the face mask, fit the straps together thru the D-rings, and then just work the strap thru the open slot and turn the key to hold it fast.

but yeah, its much easier to just strap it to the cargo hold under your seat if your just gonna hang it on your bike while its parked. If you really need to transport another helmet, just get a cargo net for like 10.00 or less, that fits over your rear seat, and put the helmet underneath the net.

what size net do I need. I bought one off of Ebay and was going to strap it to each of the grab bars but it wouldn't fit. I forget what size it was, but it said it was for the Katana.
          should it strap to the bars or does it strap to the underside of the fender? I thought it might scratch the fender, that's why I didn't do it there.
          > Vince <

05 Katana 600
          97 Mustang GT
          95 GMC K2500 4x4

Comment

Again, see your owner's manual for more details on both of the helmet holders built into your bike.

The lower one (by the rear passenger footpeg) works only with D-ring helmets. The on under the seat can be used with D-ring helmets or with ratchet-mechanism helmets (like the Nolan N100 series). The one under the seat is the easiest to use -- pop open the seat, locate the metal U-shape close to the front of the seat (there's a cut-out in the fairing where it's located to permit the strap to pass out under the seat) and hook the helmet on it. Relatch the seat. Done.

PS - if you are going cargo net for a helmet specifically, look for a spider cargo net, which are designed specifically for this purpose and are created in a circular shape. The other trick with cargo nets: rather than latching them to the bike, latch them to themselves under the seat -- that way you can remove the seat without undoing the cargo net; the net travels with the seat.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Good point CP, I hooked the cargo net to itself under the seat of my yamaha when I still had it. and it definately wasnt going anywhere when I used to put my helmet or igloo under it.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                Again, see your owner's manual for more details on both of the helmet holders built into your bike.

The lower one (by the rear passenger footpeg) works only with D-ring helmets. The on under the seat can be used with D-ring helmets or with ratchet-mechanism helmets (like the Nolan N100 series). The one under the seat is the easiest to use -- pop open the seat, locate the metal U-shape close to the front of the seat (there's a cut-out in the fairing where it's located to permit the strap to pass out under the seat) and hook the helmet on it. Relatch the seat. Done.

PS - if you are going cargo net for a helmet specifically, look for a spider cargo net, which are designed specifically for this purpose and are created in a circular shape. The other trick with cargo nets: rather than latching them to the bike, latch them to themselves under the seat -- that way you can remove the seat without undoing the cargo net; the net travels with the seat.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                thanks, and I did read the manual. All it says is turn key to unlock release to lock, that's why I asked. It's not a big deal, I just won't use it.

Thanks again for the replies,
                Vince
                > Vince <

05 Katana 600
                97 Mustang GT
                95 GMC K2500 4x4

Comment

The side helmet lock isn't that much harder to use. Just put the passenger foot peg down, and stick the helmet on that with the visor facing towards the back of the bike. That way, the D-rings can easily be looped thru the lock.
                  "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

I use my knee to hold the helmet and then open the lock and you should be able to slid the lock more easily.
                    Katana 750 2002

Comment

On my helmet the D-ring strap is so short that I could never find an easy way to use the helmet lock. I bought a helmet lock extension from JC Whitney and it works nicely. A metal T slips thru the D-ring and the end of the T locks to the bike. Two for $5.

Comment

Originally posted by harrye
                        On my helmet the D-ring strap is so short that I could never find an easy way to use the helmet lock. I bought a helmet lock extension from JC Whitney and it works nicely. A metal T slips thru the D-ring and the end of the T locks to the bike. Two for $5.
                        That's my problem. The strap on my HJC helmet is way to short. No way it's going in there the way it is. I'll check those out. Thanks a lot man.
                        > Vince <

05 Katana 600
                        97 Mustang GT
                        95 GMC K2500 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by vdaily89
                          That's my problem. The strap on my HJC helmet is way to short. No way it's going in there the way it is. I'll check those out. Thanks a lot man.
                          I can fit my gf's xsmall HJC on there, but it's really tight. Lock open, visor open, helmet over the footpeg, hand through the visor opening and done...
                          But those hangers are worthy of investigation if you use that lock regularly...

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

oddly enough, I can fit my wifes lid on there, and here's is a medium.. mine is an XL and its too much of a pain in the arse to deal with

Comment

My HJC goes on just fine - I think it's a medium...

I'll take pics if I have to :P
                              "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Working...
                              X