X

What do you think happened here?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think happened here?

I don't know if this is a repost or not, but I found this on another forum.

I thought it might be a good clip to analyze (watch to the end) and make suggestions as to what you think happened and how the crash could be prevented. Definitely should not have stuck out his foot. Thanks.
    1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

I'd be interested in hearing what others think too... Hard to tell, sort of... as if maybe low air pressure in back tire?

Comment

Dayum! Yea sticking the foot out was a big mistake. Looks like he maybe hit the rear break hard in the turn and lost traction. He panicked when he saw the wall. I hope the rider lived.

Comment

HOLY SHIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's definitely gonna leave a mark. Definitely one of those cringer vids. It seemed as though he was riding okay. But it almost looked like the back tire locked up. Either that the bike kicked out and he panicked. But I dunno.

Anything on the turnout of the rider's condition?
        KARA

I'm a whole lotta woman, but a whole lotta fun!

Comment

I think what happened is he hit a wall........

Just Kidding.....It apears as if he did a whole pile of things wrong. After looking at the video in slow motion he goes in to the corner and as he accelerates he starts to power slide. This causes him to panic and try to stand the bike back up and put his foot down to regain balance. In doing so he has changed his weight on the bike making it even harder to control. If you look at the video in slow motion you can see that he has almost got both feet of the bike so therfore did not have the rear brake on(that and the fact that the brake light was not on). He then gets target fixation on the wall and once he has regained some control of the bike starts to apply the brake but at a time when he has no room to brake. If you look in slow motion you can see that he applies the front brake about a second before he hits the wall. This probably could have been prevented if he had not freaked as much as he did when the bike slid a little and if he had kept his sight at the exit point of the curve. Once he changed his sight line towrads the bridge he was in a whole heap of trouble. The bike will always go where you look!!!
          Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

ouch! he is lucky he stayed on the bridge!!!
            Nik
            88 Katana GSX600F, 19k miles, Total Custom- Soon to be revealed!!!!!!!

Comment

Target fixation will get you every time.

Comment

Yes unfortunately I know all about that. *sighs*
                KARA

I'm a whole lotta woman, but a whole lotta fun!

Comment

OMG...I'm sorry, but it was kinda amusing the first time watching (just cause I wasn't expecting that!)

But damn man! Bend those arms! Get those feet back! (notice how close they were in the slight turn)....

I think he tried to turn with only his arms and not his body...causing his front to start tank slappin... am I just spoutin' bull Haggisforbreakfast?

Comment

If he could only have stayed focussed on the turn he should have made it. He had plenty of room to flic the bike left he only need to move it 2 feet. He wasn't even turning when he hit the wall. I hope he lived.

Comment

the bike was a zzr 1200 first of all huge glob o power he/she shifted and pour the power on leaned into the turn and the azzclown with the camera being so close the person on the zzr1200 tried to hold a tight line near the road edge while pouring it to it hence the rear stepping out they corrected then target fixxed on the wall and froze end of story.

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
                        Target fixation will get you every time.
                        +1

Hope he was ok.

Tokalosh

Comment

Sand/Gravel. No doubt.

Then the rest followed as per Haggi and Junior.

All it takes is one mistake....one lapse of concentration (i.e. thinking about the video rather than the ride)....and you can end up in a HEAP of trouble.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Originally posted by sinfulkat
                            the bike was a zzr 1200 first of all huge glob o power he/she shifted and pour the power on leaned into the turn and the azzclown with the camera being so close the person on the zzr1200 tried to hold a tight line near the road edge while pouring it to it hence the rear stepping out they corrected then target fixxed on the wall and froze end of story.
                            Thats what I saw, he looked like he accelerated, then shifted and probably dumped too much power and spun the rear, he corrected that pretty good actually, then just fixated on the wall... Kinda the same thing I did when I dumped my Seca, I really only remember fixating on the right side curb in left hand corner, and all I know is I hit that curb... Biggest lesson from MSF was "you go where you look" and even after a good number of years, I still can't get this part down as instinct yet, I need to make a conscious descion for it. For this reason alone, I know I'm not the best rider out there, hehe

On the same note, I would think they didn't get the best rider for that video, maybe it was commercial being made and they used someone who who has a nighthawk 250 to ride for them...
                            --
                            Sagan

Comment

Lesson learned..keep your wits about you at all times, don't panic, that could have been avoided or atleast alot less intense.

Comment

Working...
                              X