riding your tire.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• riding your tire.

hey all,
    when im getting on to 495 in hudson, there is a beautiful on ramp to give you a good ride.

but when i leaning into the turn, it feels that im not using all my tire. i am leaning knee out, and putting the bike down, but it feels like ill never be able to reach the chicken strip on the tire. im wondering is there any advice, or write ups, to help me understand the physics, apex location, and also speed going into the turn.

i get a lil hokey when trying to take a nice sharp turn. also ive never put my knee down before, and i want to feel that. btu im gonna need pratice and better gear.

so could anyone help on any info, or writeups, would be much appreciated.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Lean in Lean out.
    1993 GSX750F Katana SOLD
    2002 GSX750R Black. SOLD
    2000 TL1000RR silver, SOLD
    2000 yamaha R1 red katana

-------------------------------------------------------

Buy Sport Riding Techniques . That'd be a good start . I can't seem to get any more leaned over than I am now (strips are about 1/2" , and have been since spring LAST year) , and I've been at about that same level for over a year . Don't force it too much , or you may freak yourself out . Bad things happen , then ...
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

thats what i dont want. i have felt a touch of the edge and i freaked out, so im looking for all the correct ideas on how to appproach turns.
      Lean in Lean out.
      1993 GSX750F Katana SOLD
      2002 GSX750R Black. SOLD

Comment

Like I said , for the last year I haven't been able to push my comfort zone much further . Look into that book , though . It goes through the proper way to set up for turns (among MANY other things) , and might clue you in to what you may be missing .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

thanks MD, ill hit up barnes and noble, and the package store BEER! FRIDAY! mmmmm vitimin beer........mmmmm
          Lean in Lean out.
          1993 GSX750F Katana SOLD
          2002 GSX750R Black. SOLD

Comment

i use all my tires but it's on twisties after my bike and me are in the zone,it doesn't happen everytime i ride so don't try it on one off ramp a real good place to learn is on the track

Comment

+1 on sport riding techniques. I also like the book 'Total Control' by Lee Parks. Just get out there and practice after you get some good gear.
              One thing I noticed with my chicken strips is that they're just about gone on the rear tire, but there's still about 1/2 inch on the front. There was a post earlier about this-not sure where it's at. Just make sure you're checking both the front and rear tire to make sure you're not already over as far as your rear tire will allow.
              'He who is not afraid will always be safe'
              --Lao Tzu

Comment

I agree with Wind... on ramps are a bad place to practice. Too much debris on most on ramps...plus those pesky cagers. Also, if you happen to go down you're either going hit guardrails (which like to amputate limbs) or a concrete barrier (which like to crush bones)

Ideally, sign up for a track day. Other than that, find a good corner somewhere outside of town that has little or no traffic and a clear runoffs. I'd rather end up in a ditch of swamp water than into a guardrail.

Once you find your ideal location , PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. Run that corner 100 times and just get a good feel for your bike and get to know what you tires will handle.

First question to you... are you running a good tire with lots of tread?

Comment

Re: riding your tire.

Originally posted by xbubbax
                  but when i leaning into the turn, it feels that im not using all my tire. i am leaning knee out, and putting the bike down, but it feels like ill never be able to reach the chicken strip on the tire.
                  Q: what kind of tires are you running?

Curious
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

chicken strips ? hmmm. if your on the 98+ running a 160 rear it's REALLY hard to get to the edge. i rail my kat and i've never seen the edge - the front is really thin but the rear is probably close to a 1/4". on the stock 150 i had run it to the edge to many times . macadams

i do however hangoff VERY effectivly - reducing the amount i need to lean the bike over.

tim

Comment

i liked twist of the wrist better.. i think because it was more technical in type...
                      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

I always worry about crap on the ramps, Plus the pavement sucks on most of ours but there is one ramp I'll hit pretty hard on my ride home .

Originally posted by Junior
                        I agree with Wind... on ramps are a bad place to practice.
                        And don't forget if you bin it on an on/off ramp and the police show up before you can take off you will get a ticket for careless driving. They'll even be so kind as to wait t'il you wake up at the hospital before they drop off the ticket.
                        Kyle

Comment

Okay, how about #1 - Do not use all your available cornering clearance or lean on the street.

#2 - see # 1

If you want to get a knee down, go to the track. There are very very few places that are suitable for getting a knee down on the street.
                          I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Working...
                          X