X

Riding 2 up

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding 2 up

I haven't done it yet but would like to get out with the wife and ride. Any tips for the first time? Also, do I need to adjust the rear suspension and if so, how?

thanks,
    Vince
    > Vince <

05 Katana 600
    97 Mustang GT
    95 GMC K2500 4x4

how heavy is she?can up tire pressure and suspenstion setting.if i ride someone that's under 110 i can't even tell there back there but i'm not that heavy either.

Comment

I have had my brother on the back of my bike when it was required a few times, and he's a good 200 lbs.. My 600 was a little lacking in power, and the braking was noticibly affected, but otherwise its not that hard to ride. Mostly, if the passenger doesnt know how to ride, it can be more difficult, because they dont know the theory of leaning in turns, bracing themselves on the tank when braking to avoid squashing the rider, looking around too much and wacking thier helmet off the riders lid... etc etc etc.

just follow the basic rules of passengering, and you should be ok.

-Grimmy
      Race Superseries Novice Open, Amateur Superbike #224 Suzuki GSXR-1000

Comment

she only weigh 115 lbs. Do I need to adjust the rear?
        > Vince <

05 Katana 600
        97 Mustang GT
        95 GMC K2500 4x4

Comment

If its still set to the stock settings, you shouldnt have to adjust it. My wife weighs almost the same as yours does, and I can barely tell she's there. So you should be fine.

FYI though, make sure you instruct her before you start riding on what to do and what not to do while you're on moving; not having her lean into the corners while you are trying to at the same time, make sure she is comfortable and stable, wear proper gear including boots, make sure she hangs onto at a spot that is comfortable for both her and you..ex. you dont want her hands on your shoulders or tightly around your waist to the point that it restricts your movement.

Comment

At 115lbs of added passenger wieght, you should up the rear tire pressure about 1.5lbs, the front by one lb, and if it's longer than a quick run across town, increase the rear preload by a notch.

The most important things are:
            (A) A bit of training:
            Explain to her in full detail how to mount the bike (always from the left, only after the driver has acknowledged he's ready for you to do so and use the rider's shoulder for stability);
            how to ride safely (always keep the body either parallel with the bike or with the rider; you can turn your head, but never cant your body over and never -ever- turn around to the inside to look backwards);
            how to dismount safely (only after the driver has acknowledged he's ready for you to get off, always exit to the left, use the driver's shoulder again);
            where to grab during acceleration and braking;
            how to signal the driver to slow down and how to stop immediately.
            (B) Increase your braking and following distances by at least 50%. Remember that she doesn't have the same level of grip you do, since you've got the handlebars to hold on to and she doesn't, so for the ride to be pleasant, you don't want to be slamming her around braking and accelerating, esp. if she's not used to it.
            (C) Good gear. She needs to be protected even better than you are because the back is actually a more dangerous place (more likely to fall off in a slide, more likely to fly further in a highside).

Be safe and enjoy yourself.
            Buy her an ice cream in the middle of the ride so she associates the ride with pleasant things subconsciously.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Wow CP, great minds think alike...... and so do ours!!
              Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:22 pm

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:22 pm

Comment

Thanks guys, excellent replies. How exactly do I adjust the preload on the back?
                > Vince <

05 Katana 600
                97 Mustang GT
                95 GMC K2500 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by vdaily89
                  she only weigh 115 lbs. Do I need to adjust the rear?
                  set your rebound up a notch or two and go riding with her. You might find that you will have to mess with it a bit to get a perfect ride. this will not help braking though.
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                  Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

All the guys seemed to give you all the advice you need, except for maybe one thing. If it is your first time, staying out of traffic is a good idea. especially alot of stop and go. at least until you get used to the center of gravity change and the added weight.
                    it doesn't take much to lose your balance when you stop and you will learn the bike is alittle heavier to keep up with someone sitting on the back.
                    Also...seeing as it is your first time and it could happen, explain to him/her that if it does start to fall over, to get off on the same side the bike is falling. I learned from experience that jumping off the other side will add just enough "push" against the bike to make you drop it.
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

he is right, ride in a large parking lot first and learn each other's riding habits
                      TDA Racing/Motorsports
                      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                      Who knows what is next?
                      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

IMHO, I'd ride w/ her first before you adjust it. Raising the rear tire pressure as CP mentioned, would be sufficient at first, because remember, you are used to your bike as it is now, and you are already chaning its dynamics by putting someone else on the back. See how that goes first and then if you feel its bottoming out or just doesnt feel like then go back and adjust the rear.

Just my .02

Comment

This link should help also http://www.motorcycle-training.f2s.com/pillion.html
                          R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                            At 115lbs of added passenger wieght, you should up the rear tire pressure about 1.5lbs, the front by one lb,

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            good greif

Comment

Well , I take my little sister out for a ride every now and then , and she's pretty tiny . But I found that if I go ahead and crank the shock all the way up , the bike handles almost like she isn't even there at all . Normally I have it on 5 , so ...
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X