X

New bike, or what to do??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New bike, or what to do??

Well, as many have read my other post, I totalled my Katana. Ever look back and think to yourself how good you had it?? I miss my bike!!! It wasn't fast, but it was GREAT for me. Great looking, low miles, mean sound, comfy, etc. Ok, the real reason I posted this....

It has been less than 2 weeks since I crashed. My Mom gave me a little guilt trip in the hospital about riding another bike, but I want to ride again. I certainly won't ride before I have recovered more, but I want to start looking.

I do feel bad that many of my friends and family were very worried about me after my accident. I have no significant-other and no children/dependents. If you were in my situation, how would you let the pressure of a close family member affect your passion to ride??

I want to start looking for another bike, but I'm not sure where to start. I don't need the power of a RR bike, and I prefer a little more comfort. I want a lighter, more nimble bike than the Katana. Add to my list or point me in another direction:
    SV650s
    FZR6
    Datona 650

Thanks.
    Ride like your life depends on it.

Don't let others interfer with your happiness. You have your own life to live, and they have theirs. Make your own desicisions, and do what is best for you.
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Let me say that as long as you live with mom she is boss. But you should get off the boob and live your life as you wish. I say this because I too went through about the samething after we lost a cuz because of a wreck on a bike. Some of my family still can't stand the fact that I ride. Mind you, I totaled a bike also and came out of it with a dislocated hip and couldn't work for a couple of months. I am riding now but I live on my own too

Good luck with mom's!!
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Just let her know you have raised your level of safety, defensive riding, and awareness to a new level since the wreck. Oh yeah, I would go with the SV 650. I only hear great things about that bike.

Comment

KatDan2 has a SV650 and loves it. I would get a review from Him. That SV650 is a good stepup from a Katana
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I'm gonna say to go with the daytona. I don't know, it must be a Canadian thing but, I just think they're schweeeeeeet.

Comment

It'll be a healthy fight, but in the end, they need to support what you want to do.

Comment

They are your family... they are just doing their job. As far as hoping back on the horse, I would definately do it. If you love riding as much as I do, you will just learn from what happened and be more cautious in the future.

As far as bike choices go... I like all three that you mentioned. I would try to give each one a test ride, then do some research on forums for owners of those bikes, much like this one for Katana owners.

You should be able to make a good decision once you've done your homework. Also make sure you check out insurance rates for each... which can be a big factor.
                I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
                http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                  Don't let others interfer with your happiness. You have your own life to live, and they have theirs. Make your own desicisions, and do what is best for you.
                  well Lou....it isn't that simple. In fact, he doesn't have his "own" life to live. He has all his loved one's to live as well. If something happened to him, he would be missed. His life is interwoven with his family's. He has resposibilities to his children and spouse.

Now with that said, I can tell you that I know exactly where Scott is coming from. When I got hit by a drunk driver, it effected everyone close to me. My heart had to be jump started twice and for a few days it was touch and go with me. And I went through close to 2 years of rehabilitation. It was difficult for my family. They had to watch me suffer....and this made them suffer. So what do you think went through their minds when 3 years later I went and bought an 1100 sportbike? I can tell you that it wasn't good. I took alot of heat for that. The common feeling about it was "why would you buy a death machine like that after what you went through". The only thing I could do was explain it to them. I had to let them know that biking was a passion for me....and to just give up that passion because of one freakish accident would not be fair to myself. They could not understand this reasoning because they were not in my position. That is normal. But it is like the expression....when you fall off a horse, you gotta get right back on. It will be impossible to say something that will make everyone who cares about you to say, "ok...I understand...go ahead and get a bike". And if they do say it, it is not likely they will mean it 100%. They will only say it because it is important to you....and you are important to them. So they will respect you choice. That is the best you can hope for...respect for your decision. Then as time goes by and if luck stays with you and nothing negative happens again, they will grow to accept it more. It is now 13 years later for me with no incidents....and friends and family have long since come around. In fact, most have even taken a ride with me and enjoyed it.

What happened to Scott was not a good thing. It stirs up concern in those around him. But if he really wants to continue his passion, he has to do it for himself, but in a way that will be acceptable to those who care for him. He can not just ignore their feelings. It is a family decision.

EDIT: I believe I got Scott mixed up with another member who went down and decided to give up riding for his family. So Scott might not have the kids and wife thing happening....but it is all the same principal whether it is wife and kids, or parents. It's all the same.
                  I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

All of us have a certain level of responsibility to those we love and love us....but as long as we are being as safe as we can be with our own bodies, those we love need to respect that.
                    I have a hard time with my boys riding and I have to deal with that.....I have always been on bikes, my father still rides at 78, all my friends ride, my wife rides, the majority of my family rides, but still have a problem with my own boys riding.....go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by ciso
                      All of us have a certain level of responsibility to those we love and love us....but as long as we are being as safe as we can be with our own bodies, those we love need to respect that.
                      I have a hard time with my boys riding and I have to deal with that.....I have always been on bikes, my father still rides at 78, all my friends ride, my wife rides, the majority of my family rides, but still have a problem with my own boys riding.....go figure.
                      maybe because they are YOUR boys. you dad might have felt the same thing for you.
                      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                        That is one point of view, of which I have believed in for a good part of my life. Currently, I cannot say that I fully agree or fully disagree.

Originally posted by mx916
                        Just let her know you have raised your level of safety, defensive riding, and awareness to a new level since the wreck.
                        Not sure about that approach. I can't find MUCH fault with my actions on the day of the wreck, to improve upon. Riding is dangerous, and I will continue to do my best.

Originally posted by Mojoe
                        In fact, he doesn't have his "own" life to live. He has all his loved one's to live as well. If something happened to him, he would be missed. His life is interwoven with his family's.
                        True. I guess therein lies the great safety-debate. When is an activity too dangerous that a person is needlessly putting loved ones' concerns at risk.

Originally posted by ciso
                        I have always been on bikes, my father still rides at 78, all my friends ride, my wife rides, the majority of my family rides, but still have a problem with my own boys riding.....go figure.
                        I DO understand this. Just like my Mom feels this, it is your parental responsibility to see that your children grow up to have a good life. I also understand the need for a significant other to object to a spouse riding. That would be a much harder decision for me to make than the one I am making now. I suppose my biggest decision is "when do I tell my Mom/Dad that I have decided not to stop riding?"

Thanks for all the thoughts and the ideas on the bikes to choose between.
                        Ride like your life depends on it.

Comment

Ive got a similar guilt trip before about your family needing you and wanting to make sure you see your kids grow up, etc. I understand that point of view. To me it comes down to, and I know it sounds cliche, but most times people who say this have never rode before and all they see is the idiots stunting on the busy roads in traffic, and all the bad press we get, and the fatalities in the newspapers.

There's so many things in life that you need to live for, and while your family should be at the top, you have to think of your own happiness atleast alittle bit too. just about anything you do these days is dangerous to some degree.

I'm gonna say to go with the daytona. I don't know, it must be a Canadian thing but, I just think they're schweeeeeeet.
                          And Dan don't you go converting to Daytona on us too!!

Comment

Just because it might have gone limp once, you still try to get laid, right?

Oh, out of the list you posted? The Daytona without a doubt.
                            Ron
                            MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

If you were in my situation, how would you let the pressure of a close family member affect your passion to ride??
                              Absolutely not; it's all about me... Actually, all of my fgamily/wife/etc understands the depth of my passion for motorcycles, so there's not much of a question there.

As far as a new bike choice, for what you're talking about, I would whole-heartedly recommend the 2005 Kawasaki ZZR600 on the basis of bang-for-the-buck. Check one out!
                              '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Working...
                              X