X

my season is over

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my season is over

the other week my engine started to make a strange noise so i droped the engine and removed the head hoping that it was the timeing chain. i found that the noise was a broken valve that broke in two peaces. the worst part is that when it broke the valve fell onto the piston and the piston started to beat the valve into the head causing a deep hole. now the head is junk and a new one is going to cost a lot of money. my season is done and the weather is only going to get better.

this sucks

hey now fellow canuck...don't give up so quickly. if you are able to pull the engine yourself, and remove the head and cylinders in an orderly fashion, you might be able to get fixed up soon enough. so let's see what we can do here. if other can chime in with info on what heads from what bike/model/year will fit, i am sure one can be had on ebay. I will assist you there if needed so you can avoid all customs/broker fees. Once you have all the parts, it should take no time at all for a dealer to fix you up. it might not be as expensive as you thought....and surely cheaper than just walking into the dealers and saying "fix it please".
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

the Kat is a 98 750, i have a guy looking at it and he said that is doesn't look good. the valve was drove into the head a least am eighth of an inch. the worst part is that the damage is done wright were the valve is located. on top of it all i need a new piston as well.

has anyone had this happen before, is there a certain time when valves are to be replaced, i mean the bike only has 20.000km on it. how often are valves to be adjusted? how long do valves last before they are to be replaced?

Comment

no...it is not common if you treat the bike right. and valves should last pretty much forever except for maybe having them re-seated. it must have been a defectice valve that had a stress crack from when it was made. Or the retaining clip could have come loose and it dropped down in the cylinder (you can tell if the top part of the stem is still attached or not).
        a head can be had for well less than $100 if you find one on ebay. A new piston around $40 or so. A valve is under 20.

edit: duh...the top half of the stem probably would not stay attached cuz there is no more tension from the spring. it really must have made a hell of a noise.

Comment

you can have this head for $90 US with shipping included. not sure it it will fit or not. 15hrs left. Hopefully someone can step up before it is over and let you know.

this one is $50

here is another:

Hopefully one of those will work for you. it is your cheapest option to just pick one up like this. SpecialK might have something for you as well.

Comment

and just in case the gsxr750 has the same pistion here are some for a 98

Comment

man you are doing way to much work on my behave

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by andrehendricken
                man you are doing way to much work on my behave

thanks
                no trouble at all....i am searching for stuff for myself on ebay anyway. doesn't take up anymore of my time cuz it is pissing rain here anyway.
                Besides, i know how much it sucks to be in your position....so anything to help ya out.

that link for the pistons...it leads to JC moto parts...they have an ebay store and sell all sorts of stuff. they have heads as well. you might find everything you need straight from them...so email if you don't see something. it would combine shipping all in one shipment.

Comment

reminds self to pm mojoe next time I need parts

good luck man hopefully you can get a ride or two in before it gets too cold.

Comment

See this is why I love this site....one of the members is down in the dumps and one of us is able to not only reduce the pain but the price...and hopefully get you back on the road...sorry I couln't be more of help but if I can...hey don't forget that Special K may have parts that he can help...I've bought items from him and he is really reliable and honest...
                    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by Jax
                      See this is why I love this site....one of the members is down in the dumps and one of us is able to not only reduce the pain but the price...and hopefully get you back on the road...sorry I couln't be more of help but if I can...hey don't forget that Special K may have parts that he can help...I've bought items from him and he is really reliable and honest...
                      if you do check with him, do it quick. i think i just read something about him having a new job and he was getting out of bikes for a while....after he completes a couple of his projects. but don't quote me on that...i might be mistaken. i don't want to give you the wrong info....so check and see.

Comment

Originally posted by Special K
                        I'm OUT of the business, but still have 7 or 8 bikes to finish.......then I'm done for quite a while................
                        yup...i did see something.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                          you can have this head for $90 US with shipping included. not sure it it will fit or not. 15hrs left. Hopefully someone can step up before it is over and let you know.

this one is $50

here is another:

Hopefully one of those will work for you. it is your cheapest option to just pick one up like this. SpecialK might have something for you as well.
                          these are for a water cooled bike not a kat motor they are for GSXR what are you fixing your kat or a gsxr try this
                          it would not be any fun if it was easy! but does it have to be this much fun!!
                          Give A Person Expetations To Live Up To Not to A Reputition To Live Down !!

Comment

Originally posted by ghelper
                            Originally posted by Mojoe

this one is $50

here is another:

these are for a water cooled bike not a kat motor they are for GSXR what are you fixing your kat or a gsxr try this
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...QQcmdZViewItem
                            there you go....and i told ya someone had to step in and tell ya what would work and what wouldn't. I don't know what is what with the 600 and 750's. that one he posted the link for is from the same seller i told you about....JC moto....he probably has the pistons to match.

However, it is also possible the cyclinder was scored from this, so while it is all apart, you might as well hone them out and slap in a new pistion.
                            Here is a brank new 1mm over piston kits for $48.

I am not sure what 1mm over on one cylinder would do. I will let someone else answer that one. I can't see it being too harmful. Then again, never tried it...so don't know.

Comment

I think I just saw that someone's giving away a crank and pistons somewhere on here .....
                              Huh , looks like he just tossed them . http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10210
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X