X

What is the best GPS unit??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best GPS unit??

Well after my ride in Austin and seeing exactly what Black_Peter's GPS unit spit out, I'm convinced that I need one myself. Okay, so maybe I just WANT one.

I am wondering what everyone's recommendation is for the $300-$500 price range. Some of the features I would like are: top speed, average speed, point by point directions, pre-loaded maps, portability, and something that is durable enough to withstand the vibrations. What is everyone's recommendations?

I probably won't get one soon, but I'm getting an idea so I can put it on my wishlist for Santa . If there's a good deal, I might splerge and treat myself.
    1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

good question....and I am anxious to hear the answers. I would like one myself, but more for fishing. I want one with waypoints...so that when I find that nice bass spot, I can return to it without trying to remember which boathouse lines up with what tree when the sun is over my left shoulder.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
      good question....and I am anxious to hear the answers. I would like one myself, but more for fishing. I want one with waypoints...so that when I find that nice bass spot, I can return to it without trying to remember which boathouse lines up with what tree when the sun is over my left shoulder.
      +1 on the waypoints
      1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

Dude.
        Mine was only $169..
        It is the Garmin, eTrex Legend..
        I "borrowed" the national map disk from a buddy but I can burn it for you.

It will display:
        current speed
        top speed
        average speed
        travel time (moving)
        current direction

It will:
        Track.
        That means store a trip (like our ride)
        and either display it on a map
        or
        lead you back the way you came..
        (invaluable once outside the Austin City limits and
        road signs, steetlights and pavements become scarce)
        Lead you to a city.
        Lead you to a programed (or downloaded)
        waypoint..

It really cool for the money..

Comment

where did you buy it, Pete?
          the prices on a gps have dropped alot over the years. I looked into equipping my boat with one about 6-7 years ago. They were the size of a shoebox and cost a fortune.

Comment

My brother gave it to me for Christmas a few years ago..
            I had it on my Amazon list.. I just did a web search for it and got that price ($169) but I'm pretty sure that is what is was then too... It's black and white, but man the info it can hold!! If you're on a trip, you can have it search out food( by type!), rest stops, gas stations etc..
            I won't leave home with out it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
              My brother gave it to me for Christmas a few years ago..
              I had it on my Amazon list.. I just did a web search for it and got that price ($169) but I'm pretty sure that is what is was then too... It's black and white, but man the info it can hold!! If you're on a trip, you can have it search out food( by type!), rest stops, gas stations etc..
              I won't leave home with out it!!
              I believe you. It is a very practical item to have if you are on the road alot. I will definately be getting on in the near future. It would be especially handy now that I don't have a speedo on my bike. It stopped working when I went riding with katman05. I put on a new cable, but still no go. So now I have no ide how fast i am going.

crazyaussi....if you buy one soon, leave some info/input on what you bought. it is not so much cost or what it can do cuz they all pretty much do the same thing. user friendly is my concern. I don't want to have to puch 362 buttons to get the time.

Comment

I just bought one from Viclava and should be getting it this week. I will give you all a update on it once I get it mounted. I too think I bought the Etrax.
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                X