X

Engine covers/sliders

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine covers/sliders

Hey y'all...I havn't been around much since the KP/KR switch, but now I have a question for some of the guys with big brains.....

I had a little spill last night in the pouring rain, and my '03 needs a new right side engine cover. Now, looking on the net, I found that NRC offers the covers for very cheap. However, neither them or the Factory Pro engine covers are listed for any of the late model Kats.

The NRC's are listed as an "up to '01" part, and the factory pro ones are listed as "to '98" or "'90-'97". Now....I'm pretty sure that the case covers from the older Kats won't fit....but would a '97 engine cover fit on an '03 bike? The reason I ask is because the factory pro covers have the option for sliders which bolt right on...which would also cure my problem of having no sliders since I can't bear to drill the frame.

Any thoughts are much appreciated.....and anyone who might be selling a right upper fairing would be a help too....
    FrankenKat 1216
    GS Fiter 816
    GSXR750! (race)

Re: Engine covers/sliders

on this site: http://www.gsxrzone.com/enginecovers.html the same part number for the NRC covers is used for '88-'05.

But I really have no idea.
    01000010 01101001 01101100 01101100 01111001 01000010 01100001 01100100 01000001 01110011 01110011

Comment

The engine covers are unchanged between 98 and 05, so any year in there will fit. NRC simply hasn't updated their cross-reference.

NRC's covers are a bit thicker than the OEM ones, as well as being made of stronger metals, which means they are less likely to crack in a future spill. The down side is that the finish is kind of rough looking. Personally, if I needed an engine cover, I'd probably go NRC, although the OEM covers are pretty cheap ($28 for a signal generator cover, for example, ronayers.com).

Targa Accessories also has engine covers for the Kats that are chromed, if that's your thing.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well....if they're all the same for Katanas, then I'll contact Factory Pro and see if theirs is available with the sliders for both sides of the motor. If they are, I'll probably go with those - they look quite a bit better than the NRC's, and since I'm not big on polishing things, the billet should do quite nicely.

factory, bandit, gsf, 1200, carb, carburetor, carburator, tuning, stage 3, config 30, stage 1, mikuni, BMC, air filter, auto, automotive, motorcycle, ega, exhaust gas analyzer, factory, Aprilia, bandit, Honda, BMW, Buell, cbr, cbr600, ec997, eddy current, gsx, gsxr, ignition advance, Indian, jet, Kaw, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Mikuni, Keihin, Harley Davidson, r6, salvisberg, shift kit, tuning, billet, engine cover, dyno, dynojet, power commander, 100, 150, 200, factory, emulsion tube, needle jet, transmission detent, allen screw, racing, sounds, frame bumper,
        FrankenKat 1216
        GS Fiter 816
        GSXR750! (race)

Comment

Whoa betsy!
          For $250 you could replace a lot of stock covers...

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Can you say Bling Bling ??!!

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
              Can you say Bling Bling ??!!
              Or "bing, bing"?
              Man, I can't watch that stoopid video often enough!

Comment

I have the Factory Pro covers on my bike. Very nice, especially after I had them chromed. Look at my ride profile for pics.

And no I didn't pay $250 for the left side, or $120 for the right. My total price for two brand new ones was $175. Just watch eBay they show up from time to time.

Comment

Didn't you hav some Yoch covers you were unloading a while back ? Those are suppposed to be similar to the NRC "thicker than stock" ones too , right ? I got the NRC's , and I don't think they look terrible . They just look a little rough is all (texture) . Of course , the pre98 fairing SHOULD hide them fairly well . Of course , with the holes in MY fairing , mine don't !
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Very nice. I may have to see if I can find some for my Kan-O-Gixxer.
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

depending on how scratched up the cover is you could proably get them chromed... i bought a pair of used covers cheap and they were scratched up. i simply got the dremel out and shaved down the high spots and sent them off for chroming.. since it is a plating process it covered the scratches and you can not tell they were even damaged at one point... total cost including shipping was $96 for the chroming of BOTH covers.
                      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Yeah I had a Yoshi cover at one time. It's a thicker than stock model but it is a smooth casting verses the rough NRC casting. I sold a Vance and Hines cover to Spedee awhile back that was identical to an NRC cover, someone had just spent a lot of time on smoothing it out. Then I chromed it. I thought it turned out pretty nice.

Comment

but if you get the nrc covers they will impress the Canadian's(it has a canadian flag on them) 8)

Comment

the canadians are easily impressed look at range and junior... and freckles..
                            Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Finally, someone buying into the idea of what's really going to help your bike survive a slide! I've been an opponent of drilling the frame to install sliders for quite some time. Seems there's more potential for damage than could ever be prevented with that arrangement, but on to the current subject... The NRC covers look to be the most robust replacements, and I'd bet you could polish them up nicely if the as-cast finish bothered you. Great mod!
                              Whoa betsy!
                              For $250 you could replace a lot of stock covers...
                              Of course if you have a minor get-off out in the great beyond and maybe, um... want to ride home, one of the more crashworthy aftermarket items could prove invaluable...
                              '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Working...
                              X