X

Input Wanted ....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input Wanted ....

I've decided to re-pack my cannister this weekend. It's a Muzzy with rivets. I'm thinking it will be pretty "cut and dry" ...

1. drill out rivets
    2. re-pack guts
    3. re-assemble (rivet or screw)

That's about it, right ?

!!! Eye candy for all ..... YAY !!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BIGKAT1100; 10-30-2009, 06:24 PM.
    The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

don't know about repacking the can but them some nice bikes what is the third one and what kind of engine on it

Comment

Thats how I did mine. I used mechanics wire to wrap the packing around the silencer.
      Originally posted by arsenic
      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by downsouth View Post
        don't know about repacking the can but them some nice bikes what is the third one and what kind of engine on it
        It was designed and built in Germany using a Viper engine.
        The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

update ....

Mission accomplished .... I got better sound and better low-end throttle response because I'm getting more back pressure. When I got the rivets drilled out, there was no packing in there at all.

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
            I used mechanics wire to wrap the packing around the silencer.
            Interesting.

When I did my Yoshi I read on the net to use masking tape as it will burn off when in use so that's what I did. I also drilled out the rivets and drilled and tapped button-head screws so that it will be easier the next time around.
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
              Interesting.

When I did my Yoshi I read on the net to use masking tape as it will burn off when in use so that's what I did. I also drilled out the rivets and drilled and tapped button-head screws so that it will be easier the next time around.
              I used the masking tape this time but if I ever had to do it again, I think I'd use the wire.

BIGKAT1100

Comment

I might try that too. Bailing wire, as we call it around here, shouldn't add that much weight.

I think the advantage of the tape is it has the ability to compress the packing material upon installation yet when it burns off it will expand within the exhaust can.
                How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I was always told it depends how loud you want it. The tighter the wrap the quieter it will be, thats why I always used wire, so it was tighter and contained more sound. Ive seen guys use plastic zip-ties before also. I was always afraid of having a burning plastic smell.
                  Originally posted by arsenic
                  93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

The plastic zip ties work good. I've used those to hold the 'C' shaped retainers together on a pre header, never melted but got brittle.
                    Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                    Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

I like that Kaw. That's pretty.

Comment

yup you pretty much got it

Comment

Working...
                        X