X

Sportbike Classified

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportbike Classified

Don't know if any of you have any prior experience with sportbikeclassifieds.com or not but I wanted to post a bit of a caution. My son was looking to purchase a GSXR and found one at that website. The owner of the bike was "in London, UK with work" but his wife was handling the shipping. They were using the shipping company as a third party to handle the money. Deposit the cash with the shipping company, they release the money to the seller after the buyer gets the bike was the deal. I researched the ship company and found nothing on them which is very unusual. We are in VA and they were suppose to be in CA. At that point I told the seller I would fly out to inspect the bike. The website went down, no more contact from seller and the posting pulled. Luckily, we didn't send any money. I checked the classifieds again a couple of days later, found another bike and showed some interest. The "owner" under a different name sent me an email saying he was "in London, UK with work" but his wife was handling the shipping. This time in the state of Washington. Sound familiar??? Just an FYI if anyone is shopping out there!

Dude...that is 100% pure SCAM. I am honestly surprised people fall for that BS. Scammers have been pulling that one for years, and I do mean years. That's as old as the "Hi, I am banker in Nigeria, I have $35 million USD, and I want to give it to you" scam
    It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

My son is looking for his first bike, saw a good price and was ready to jump into the deal. He's 20 a still doesn't think people would do those types of things.

Comment

back awat from this!

back away from this
        Last edited by DreKat; 10-20-2009, 09:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Did find another GSXR for my son out of Missouri. I have a brother that lives close by where the bike was being sold. He went over and checked it out. We're making the drive out in two weeks to pick it up.

Comment

Glad you guy caught it before they got any money.

Comment

Stay away from ANYTHING that sounds even remotely suspicious! Those scammers are even going as low as saying they are over in Iraq with the Military, and they their wives are selling the bike.

If it has "use an ESCROW" service, stay away.

If it says "Im in another country" Stay Away.

If they say "meet me at some place" not very public, STAY AWAY!

Basically, if you cannot go to the persons house, and see the bike in person (local), then don't even consider it for now.

EDIT: Glad you found another one, and that your brother was able to go see it in person. Hope he enjoys the new bike!
              It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigerd View Post
                Don't know if any of you have any prior experience with sportbikeclassifieds.com or not but I wanted to post a bit of a caution. My son was looking to purchase a GSXR and found one at that website. The owner of the bike was "in London, UK with work" but his wife was handling the shipping. They were using the shipping company as a third party to handle the money. Deposit the cash with the shipping company, they release the money to the seller after the buyer gets the bike was the deal. I researched the ship company and found nothing on them which is very unusual. We are in VA and they were suppose to be in CA. At that point I told the seller I would fly out to inspect the bike. The website went down, no more contact from seller and the posting pulled. Luckily, we didn't send any money. I checked the classifieds again a couple of days later, found another bike and showed some interest. The "owner" under a different name sent me an email saying he was "in London, UK with work" but his wife was handling the shipping. This time in the state of Washington. Sound familiar??? Just an FYI if anyone is shopping out there!
                Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

Good advice on the "Stay Away" scenarios. You would be surprised (maybe not) at how many times I heard those exact lines!

Comment

I am weary to buy a bike online period. There's just something about it that can't be trusted. I trust cycle trader online but that's pretty much it. you were very lucky and I'm glad you didn't get taken by those jerks.
                    'What do you do with a bunch of kids that just wanna bang their heads all the time?' *tears in eyes* 'You start a revolution ...'

Comment

Originally posted by CustomKat View Post
                      I am weary to buy a bike online period. There's just something about it that can't be trusted. I trust cycle trader online but that's pretty much it. you were very lucky and I'm glad you didn't get taken by those jerks.
                      I'm leary of online purchases as well especially when it's from coast to coast. I bought my bike in CA off ebay but was in San Fran for a week prior. I went over to take a look. I would only buy online if I can physically get there and see the bike first.

Comment

yep, had that almost happen to me when i was looking for my bike. an "LT" in the navy getting ready to deploy was selling an 06 R6 for $2900. was asolutely beautiful. was excatly what what i wanted or so i thought. wanted to use ebay's buyer protection program which is only good for purchases made through ebay as i later found out!
                        R.I.P. Marc- You will be missed!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Comment

It happens on a regular basis. In the end, let common sense rule. I had a similar scenario on a Trumpet I was looking at on Craigslist.
                          Pics
                          Pics
                          No pics yet
                          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

God I hope nobody is still falling for these. These scams have been around since people started selling stuff over the internet!!!

Just don't be stupid. If you can't physically see the bike, something is fishy. it's as simple as that. If you offer to show up with cash and ride the bike home, and they decline, what does that tell you?

Comment

Originally posted by tmk7c9 View Post
                              God I hope nobody is still falling for these.
                              If no one was still falling for it, then they would stop doing it.
                              Pics
                              Pics
                              No pics yet
                              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Working...
                              X