X

No go at 140?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No go at 140?

I had my bike pinned in 6th for a few minutes..like 3 or so...I got up to 142, at was at that speed for about 60 seconds, then the bike started acting up. (i was up north with a really long stretch of nothing.)
    I would give it throttle, but it wouldnt rev up or accelerate more. It would just bog down and continue to slow down. I tried shifting down and giving it some more, but the same thing was happening. It was like the carbs were clogged or something...at least what i think that would be like. After it dropped back down to 30-40, i could start giving it throttle and it would accerate up to speed, and after that it was fine.

I called the dealer up to see what they thought, and they said that my bike wasnt really made to run at that speed, and that the carbs weren't giving the engine enough fuel to run like that....does this sound reasonable, or is there something a miss with my bike.

What RPM were you at?

Actually, it sounds like you hit the rev-limiter for the engine. Once the engine hits a certain RPM, the CDI stops the spark to the two inner cylinders...

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i was reved up pretty good...i did hit it i think....but would it not come back to me till i dropped down to 30-40 mph?

Comment

what the dealer says sounds reasonable. i was thinking that before i even got to the part about the dealer suggesting it. i can feel mine starving for fuel when i am tacked out one the high end, but it doesn't bog down. it sort of skips....but not electrical. it is definately fuel. i know my bike is under carbed. they work fine for normal use....but not enough to really push it. i don't push it enough to bother fixing it. you should not worry about it either.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Hmmm. Interesting. I think as soon as I get my fairings put back on, and my new tires scrubed in, I will see what the Gixxer top speed is via GPS.
          Kan-O-Gixxer!
          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
          -Ohlins Susupension
          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Happened to me early this year on the Busa. Fast, hard accelleration and then the engine dies (no sputter). A couple seconds later it just kicks back in. I know it's FI but the problem was a very kinked fuel line.
            sigpic

Comment

ok, i'm not gonna worry about it, it seems fine now...i guess i was just pushing it pretty hard.

Comment

now well before my engine died it got my 93 cat upto 150 out on 60 here and stayed there for maybe 2 mins before i started to slow down to about 120..

and i still had a few more rpms to run through i was at 9 at 150 and to my knowladge nothing is done to mine..

now maybe this could be a leading cause to my engine blowing (oops) but at the same time my engine didnt die for another month and half after those speeds.

Comment

The problem is fuel flow. At extended high RPM runs the carbs fuel bowls run dry due to the small size of the float valves. There just is not enough flow to keep them full at wide open throttle.

I ran into this same problem as well and did some carb body modifications to get rid of the problem. The ONLY time it is a problem is during extended wide open runs.

Basically, you are running the carbs out of fuel and it will not run again until they fill up.
                  Ron
                  MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

the only thing you can do if you run at speeds like that is put a pump in the bike. That is the only way to keep fuel flow going at speed.
                    TDA Racing/Motorsports
                    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                    Who knows what is next?
                    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

like has been stated already. The Kat is not meant to ride at its complete limit for extended periods of time. Id imagine most bikes are this way
                      Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Originally posted by meanstrk
                        The problem is fuel flow. At extended high RPM runs the carbs fuel bowls run dry due to the small size of the float valves. There just is not enough flow to keep them full at wide open throttle.

I ran into this same problem as well and did some carb body modifications to get rid of the problem. The ONLY time it is a problem is during extended wide open runs.

Basically, you are running the carbs out of fuel and it will not run again until they fill up.
                        +1

Comment

cool beans, thanks guys.

Comment

I dont have that problem I just ran it last night on the Howard franklin Bridge which is about 7 miles I was wide open and I was right at 10.5 when the rev limiter kicked in and I just held it at 10k rpm for the rest of the bridge and no problem. I do have stock gearing also.

Joe
                            sigpic

Comment

Have never had this happen with a bike, but my off shore racing boat would do that.
                              I was running a 250 BlackMax and at full throttle, the carbs were just choking, not enough fuel.
                              Have you rejetted your bike ?

Comment

Working...
                              X