X

No go at 140?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tdrcomm
    Happened to me early this year on the Busa. Fast, hard accelleration and then the engine dies (no sputter). A couple seconds later it just kicks back in. I know it's FI but the problem was a very kinked fuel line.
    You sure you didn't just hit the kill switch ? :P
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

yea, i had it jetted when i put on my exhaust and air filter......

Comment

I have had mine up the rev limiter in 6th and thats all that stopped me from accelerating more. I havnt had any top end fueling problems.
        Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 21CA_Woody
          now well before my engine died it got my 93 cat upto 150 out on 60 here and stayed there for maybe 2 mins before i started to slow down to about 120..

and i still had a few more rpms to run through i was at 9 at 150 and to my knowladge nothing is done to mine..

now maybe this could be a leading cause to my engine blowing (oops) but at the same time my engine didnt die for another month and half after those speeds.
          will a kat do 150? you guys talk of redlining in 6th.....just how fast is that? 135 maybe? I only have a 5sp, and only hit redline once...and I am in no hurry to try it again. the speedo goes to 280 kms...about 170...and i just passed it a bit. way too fast for me on an old bike. ..on any bike actually. i am good for about 250-260km max now. then my mind starts racing.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

well, mine was tacked out in 6th and was showing 143....i think it was a little down hill as well.

could they have screwed up on the jetting when they did it......i'm taking it in for it's 15,000 mile servicing anyway this week.

Comment

Re: No go at 140?

Originally posted by Black Kat
              I called the dealer up to see what they thought, and they said that my bike wasnt really made to run at that speed, and that the carbs weren't giving the engine enough fuel to run like that....does this sound reasonable, or is there something a miss with my bike.

The dealer is telling the truth...

The bowls were dry, that is why the bike slowed down and wouldn't pick up untill the bowls were full again.

I never understood why Suzuki decided to detune the 98+ Katanas. On earlier ones the petcock has two output lines and the carbs to gas intakes, instead of the single ones on the current Katanas.

Maybe you can get a pre 98 petcock and the little plastic line that goes between the carb #2 and #3 so you can run two fuel lines, instead of a single one.

Or maybe a low pressure fuel pump? Gravity fed systems aren't known to pump the fuel really fast.
              Ich lebe mein Tod, Tag für Tag!

Willkommen zu meiner Welt...

Comment

On my 1990 750 I have only had an issue like this if the fuel line was crimped - it would run fine at slower speeds and die on the freeway. Check oyur fuel lines under the tank.

I can commute to work at sustained 90-110 mph for 40 miles and never have any issue of any kind.

I disagree that the katana cannot be run very fast for sustained periods of time. Maybe if you were on an oval running 130+ for miles and miles...
                I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

I've run at top-out speeds for virtually a full tank at a time on some road-trips, and the bike has never acted starved for fuel ('00 Kat 600 and '01 Kat 600, both), both with stock and with jet kits (DynoJet on one, Ivan's on the other). I find it doubious that if configured correctly, there would be any issue. Could be secondary issues, such as a partially clogged fuel filter or petcock pick-up sleeve screen, or poor line routing (crimping, etc).

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                    Originally posted by 21CA_Woody
                    now well before my engine died it got my 93 cat upto 150 out on 60 here and stayed there for maybe 2 mins before i started to slow down to about 120..

and i still had a few more rpms to run through i was at 9 at 150 and to my knowladge nothing is done to mine..

now maybe this could be a leading cause to my engine blowing (oops) but at the same time my engine didnt die for another month and half after those speeds.
                    will a kat do 150? you guys talk of redlining in 6th.....just how fast is that? 135 maybe? I only have a 5sp, and only hit redline once...and I am in no hurry to try it again. the speedo goes to 280 kms...about 170...and i just passed it a bit. way too fast for me on an old bike. ..on any bike actually. i am good for about 250-260km max now. then my mind starts racing.

i've had mine to 128 ( regeared 15-50 ) 11.5k in 6th. thats a pretty true - 128 - ( my speedohealer seems very accurate )

tim

Comment

My Bandit will flat out at about 150 indicated, which means about 145-148 actual.
                      It tops out there due to physics, namely wind wall.
                      Still more to give if the aerodynamics would allow.
                      I thought the carbs were pretty much alike between the Katana and the Bandits ?

Comment

Originally posted by ciso
                        While it's true that the carbs are basically the same, the cam grinds are significantly different, resulting in the Kat both producing more power up top and sucking down more fuel in the process.

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

My Bandit will flat out at about 150 indicated, which means about 145-148 actual.
                          It tops out there due to physics, namely wind wall.
                          Still more to give if the aerodynamics would allow.

Comment

My 2000 Kat 750. Speedo bouncing at 160. Not counting for speedo error, thats still screamin

Comment

Is that with Yuengling or with out it 8)
                              sigpic

Comment

hwhw im sure there is a way though to havethe kat hit the 180 mark just gotta find it

Comment

Working...
                                X