X

a 2 up ride in memoriam...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a 2 up ride in memoriam...

My wife and I set out this morning for a ride, partly a memorial for a friend and partly a tribute to his memory. We set out about 30 miles to a hole in the wall country restaurant for a bite to eat. The owner has cancer, and thay all wear shirts that promote cancer awareness. The food is good, and they have the besst catfish around. No farm raised filets here, they corn meal fry whole fresh lake catfish and they are fantastic.

From here we headed another 10 miles out to one of the rare windy roads in FL. Last time I was there road conditions were poor, although today they were fair. No matter thoug, as we were 2 up I had no urge to push the pace, only to enjoy the ride and the scenery.

about half way throught the twistiest section my wife tells me to turn around, and that she saw a turtle in the road. I hadn't seen it, but was looking apex to apex and only checking for anything that would hurt traction in the road. I turn around, and sure enough a little box turtl in the road. I almost mistook him for a rock, but my wife is not one to miss out on any of the animals on the ride. (Why didn't I take a picture I wonder?) She picked up the poor little guy and, after baby talking at him a bit, handed him to me with instructions to find water. We wandered on foot a bit before spotting a small pond on some pasture land. I jumped the fence and placed him near the water, not too near to avoid being attacked by any lurking gators, but within 4 feet of the edge. Having done a good deed, and a little misty eyed at the sight of a turtle in the middle of the best twisties (Zuma understands) we continued on. We came to the conservation area, and thought, on a day of adventure we couldn't pass up the dirt road that lead into the middle of the swamp land.

(Why didn't I get a pic of the sign that cautioned against large alligators ahaead?)

Anyway, we stopped at the gate and spoke to the ranger on duty. He advised to stay on the main trail as weather was moving in and there were some verty wet areas off the beaten path. It is bow hunting season, and the hunters all gave us odd looks and friendly waves as we passed by on the Kat at about 20 mph. The footing was a little shaky, but the Kat was more than capable of accuratly traking the dirt and sand roads. 10 miles through the park and we hit a highway. By this point those dak clouds from the last picture had gotten to us and it started to rain, and then pour. So, about 15 miles down the highway I saw a gas station and thought to stop, gas up, and grab a gatorade. It was here we realized were had been heading the wrong direction. Well, no big deal, we turn around and head back about 50 miles to our house through intermittantly pouring and drizzling rain. It was hard not to think of CP in the rain as he was never one to let the rain dissuade him from riding. The rain was kind of a catharsis, a cleansing rain to wash away some of the hurt and fear that his passing had put in my heart.

As I sit at my computer now with a beer I feel as if my ride wasn't just with my wife and I, but with all of KR. A short adventure, but an adventure nonetheles. I have aquated this site to the Marine Corp before because of the espirit de corp that we share, and I wanted to share my day with you all. We are a band of brothers (and sisters) and feel as if I am a better man and rider for having met (be it in cyberspace or in real life) you all.

Semper Fidelis,
    erik

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face,
    and rains fall soft upon your fields.
    And until we meet again,
    May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
    RIP Marc

These are poignant words and pictures that raise the spirits. Thanks Erik.

Comment

Is that curves in florida j/k nice ride indeed :

Comment

Thats awesome dude...I'm new to the site and already feel the sense of family. This site is pretty rockin.
        Life is like a chess move, you need to make your next move your best move...

sigpic
        Psalm 121

Comment

LOL.. you found the 2 curves in florida!

now fin the Hill!

See My Garage for mods...
          T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
          Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Aw man sounds like ya'll had a ball wish I was riding with u guys need a road trip.
            sigpic
            "TIME FLYS SO LIVE LIFE FAST"
            { = X = }

Comment

Awesome story, and great pics...

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Looks like a nice and relaxing ride...

Comment

I do understand. I'm not the only one. That's some touching prose...thank you for sharing.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Mmmmm Catfish...

Well said- and thanks for sharing it man.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
                    -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
                      I do understand. I'm not the only one. That's some touching prose...thank you for sharing.

A compliment on my writing from a teacher? I wish that had happened more in school.
                      And until we meet again,
                      RIP Marc

Comment

Rode 2 up to ozello and back today. 230 miles round trip. saw 2 turtles on the side of the road. 1 of which we stopped to move into some water. funny how I only see turtles on the twisty parts of my rides lately. Could it be coincedince? I prefer to think no.
                        And until we meet again,
                        RIP Marc

Comment

Working...
                        X