Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Got a question for the more experienced riders...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm seriously thinking about doing some track days next summer!

Comment

Originally posted by mcornelius View Post
      I'm seriously thinking about doing some track days next summer!
      And you should. I'd guess, in about one hour, you'll be a 20% better rider. There are LOTS of skills you can learn/practice on a track that you can't do anywhere else.

Plus it's a big heap-o-fun. Cant wait till it's track season again

Comment

Im always learning! Oh and welcome to KR

Comment

Learning never stops when you ride a bike. Every year I usually end up pulling at least one bonehead move that I should know better not to do by now. When you become comfortable on the bike you know it, just like when you start riding above your ability or on the edge. That little voice in your head lets you know it, listen to this voice it may save your life. I think a track day would be a great learning experience for any rider.
          R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by katman05 View Post
            Learning never stops when you ride a bike. Every year I usually end up pulling at least one bonehead move that I should know better not to do by now. When you become comfortable on the bike you know it, just like when you start riding above your ability or on the edge. That little voice in your head lets you know it, listen to this voice it may save your life. I think a track day would be a great learning experience for any rider.
            Great post. I started feeling in tune with my bike this season and started riding over my head. I ended up flying off the side of the road and the guy behind me crashed. You're never as good as you think you are, when you stop trying to learn you get in trouble.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I'd say once you get enough experience and notice that you aren't constantly having to make consious decisions while riding (most riding tasks seem to become natural feeling), you have safely made it past the newbie ranks as a rider. When I first started riding, it seemed I was almost always doing stuff like watching the tach so I wouldn't miss shifting at just the right time or downshift too soon over reving the engine etc. Now I don't really notice that I'm having to concentrate on any specific tasks while riding other than picking my lines through the corners or traffic. I adjust my speed, brake, accellerate, up or downshift, and use my turn signals without thinking about it. Even performing avoidance manuevers around stuff like suicidal deer is done instantaniously without thinking.
              John,
              '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
              sigpic

Comment

I know I still put WAY too much weight on my arms, and dont hold myself up with my lower body/legs. I suffer for it in the twisties, but im working on it as soon as it gets warm again!

Comment

I agree with Sprag, The bike tends to become part of you once the two of you figgure it all out. And shifts and controls are just done. Your attention turns to out infront of you looking for the next knucklehead trying to take you out and finding your escape routes. Knowing full well what lies ahead of you is a huge piece of the battle. Knowing you and your bikes abilities are the rest.
                  Joker
                  The newest addition to the Family!
                  sigpic
                  stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Originally posted by katman05 View Post
                    When you become comfortable on the bike you know it, just like when you start riding above your ability or on the edge. That little voice in your head lets you know it, listen to this voice it may save your life. I think a track day would be a great learning experience for any rider.
                    I think that's called the "pucker factor" you should feel it in the seat! We're having a track day on Dec 11th, I can't wait.

Comment

The fact that you can ride your bike on dec 11th makes me hate a little.

Just a little though, have an awesome and safe trackday!

Comment

Originally posted by LAsunbird86 View Post
                        The fact that you can ride your bike on dec 11th makes me hate a little.

Just a little though, have an awesome and safe trackday!
                        Thanks, it could get a little interesting though, the temperature is great here, but in the winter there is rain in the forcast every day just about. I'm going rain or shine though. That's what they make rain gear for, right?

Comment

make sure to Rain-x the crap out of that visor!

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                            Great post. I started feeling in tune with my bike this season and started riding over my head. I ended up flying off the side of the road and the guy behind me crashed. You're never as good as you think you are, when you stop trying to learn you get in trouble.
                            I agree. The day I took a slide off my bike was the first day I felt comfortable on it. Then I handled it like my zzr 250.... and paid for it.

Comment

Working...
                            X