X

Went To The Dealer Today To Shop Around

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went To The Dealer Today To Shop Around

I went to the Suzuki/Honda dealer in town today to do a more detailed analysis of what I am comfortable on today. The guy at the dealership was really nice and not trying to push me to look at faster bikes like he did the last time I was there, and I respectfully told him that I didn't want to go out and kill myself on the SV1000 that he was trying to talk me into looking at over the SV650. He was actually dealing with me a bit, he said that he'd make the price on the tag the OTD price on any of the bikes I was looking at. He seemed willing to deal with me and was actually a lot of help..it's amazing, I know, lol. Anyways, from my time there I made these observations...

1.) They had already sold all of their Katanas. I don't think I want a brand new one, but I just wanted to sit on one and feel it out.

2.) The SV650 isn't quite as cramped as I remembered from the 30 seconds I had been on one before, and the SV650S isn't actually that bad with the clip ons as I thought it would be. My live in girlfriend/soon to be fiance didn't like the SV that much though because she didn't like the look of the back seat, lol. She also said it seemed a bit thin and stuff. I'm not really going to let her opinions effect my decision though because it's my bike, not hers. I could get the Naked SV650 that they have up there for $5,800 OTD.

3.) There was a yellow VFR800 up there that the boss of that shop owns, and it's for sale. Had like 17,000 miles on it, and looking at the bar end and engine cover thing on the right, I could tell that it had been down, but it did look pretty minor, very slow speed I would imagine. They want like $5,500 for it. I'm not really considering that bike that much, and I didn't even sit on it. He started it up and it sounded pretty nice though. What do you all think of this bike. Is that price fair?

4.) The highlight of my time in the shop...I have breifly researched the V-Strom before, but didn't really consider it that much because..well..I like really sporty looking bikes, but I sat on a 650 that they had their and I was amazed..it fit me like a glove with my height and stuff. It felt really comfortable, and although it looks a little bit different than what I would have seen myself riding..I just can't get over how comfortable it was for me, it just felt right. The tag was right around $6,600, and when asked the guy said that there would be tax and stuff added on top of that, but that if I really wanted it, he would make that the OTD price. I think I could possibly talk him down even a little bit further. Are there any opinions of this bike here? Does that price seem fair?

Anyways, just thought I'd share. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks!

-Greg

Ya, good salesmen are kinda rare sometimes...

For the SV tho, to me it's not that comfy. A buddy has one, and while it's not as contorting as a 600-RR for sure, it's nothing like a Kat. They are really fun bikes tho, great looks, good power, loads of aftermarket stuff, and not as common as a GSXR...

For the VFR, I've always like them actually. Pretty comfy and a more unique bike and look.

And V-storms are really big bikes. I would only look at one if you really want the touring style of big bike...

For the price, I can't say really, but I would check the local for sale rags and ebay for at least some comparison for your area (prices change quite abit from area to area and different times of the year, now being one of the high points in the cycle...)
    --
    Sagan

Comment

Be careful...he may try to make up the cost with finacing...that happens a lot.
      Katana 750 2002

Comment

I like the VFR over the SV, MPO

But having said that I would take either one. In contrast of the Kat.
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Re: Went To The Dealer Today To Shop Around

Originally posted by g_man500a
          I went to the Suzuki/Honda dealer in town today...

1.) They had already sold all of their Katanas. I don't think I want a brand new one, but I just wanted to sit on one and feel it out.
          Wow... how many did they have before?

2.) I could get the Naked SV650 that they have up there for $5,800 OTD...
          There is a difference in the handlebars and stem angle for the SV650 vs. the SV650S. There's also a full-fairing kit available for the SV650S that is a common mod around here, looks really sweet and adds quite a bit of extra rider protection from the weather. Previous comments about how it stacks up to/against the Kat still apply.

3.) There was a yellow VFR800 up there that the boss of that shop owns, and it's for sale. Had like 17,000 miles on it... They want like $5,500 for it. Is that price fair?
          Depends on the year mostly. I'm not fond of the VTEC variants that Honda delivered starting in (?)2002(?) model year, because of the RPM point it switches over and the excessive (IMHO) work required to do the valve adjustments for that engine. The previous generation are far better for that reason...

4.) I have breifly researched the V-Strom before, but didn't really consider it that much because..well..I like really sporty looking bikes, but I sat on a 650 that they had their and I was amazed..it fit me like a glove with my height and stuff. It felt really comfortable, and although it looks a little bit different than what I would have seen myself riding..I just can't get over how comfortable it was for me, it just felt right. The tag was right around $6,600, and when asked the guy said that there would be tax and stuff added on top of that, but that if I really wanted it, he would make that the OTD price. I think I could possibly talk him down even a little bit further. Are there any opinions of this bike here? Does that price seem fair?
          SRP is $6699 for the VStrom. It's basically an SV650 concept with a lot of changes:
          - a different suspension/frame package with supposed trappings for more rough- and off-road pretentions (note the 19" front wheel), although the wheels aren't really made for serious off-road use;
          - different cam grinds & slightly heavier crank for more emphasis on the lower- to mid-range power;
          - Lower final drive ratio than the SV650, for better low-RPM performance.
          - It does us shim-under-bucket adjusters. It also comes stock with a PAIR valve system under the tank, which is good for the environment, but is considered by many home-mechanics to be a source of both performance losses and a headache to maintain (due to needless added complexity with vacuum routing and Positive Crankcase Vacuum [PCV] valve failures being common).

Like the Katana's, aren't often loved by others, but are loved by their owners highly. Suzuki hasn't officially stated whether the VStrom will be in their 2006 line-up yet, so it may be like the Katana, an obsoleted bike due to die at the end of the '05 model year (which is rapidly approaching). On the other hand, it is fuel-injected, so there is no mandatory reason for it to obsolete for pollution control reasons (something that may not be able to be said for the Kat).

KNOW THIS:
          You can easily spot the '05 model year model VStroms from the previous ones because the '05 have black frames & swingarms. If the one he has doesn't have a black frame & swingarm, it's an '04 and should be $5600 - $5800 out the door due to model-year depreciation.
          It can be hard to find good road-rubber in 19" sizes.
          VStrom is bastardized-slang for a German phrase, V - a shape for splitting things, and Strom meaning stream (in this case, wind-stream, not electrical stream), thus the name means "splitting the windstream."

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The SV650's are much more comfortable than the 1000's, IMO. Both both are sweet bikes..especially that copper one I rode a couple weeks back!

I like the VFR's as well, but they can be expensive to work on if u dont do it yourself.

Comment

CyberPoet,
              I am not sure how many they had. When I asked about them though he said "we sold them all", so I guess it at least had to be two.
              The main thing I like about the SVS is the fairing options. I don't really care about the more aggressive position making it a bit more agile, I just like the fairings that can be put on them.
              I've hear about the valves being a pain in the butt to work on on the VTECs. I was asking the guy if it had the V-TEC engine in it and he didn't seem to know. That's pretty much the main reason I shied away from it along with the price.
              I'm not quite sure what to think about the V-Strom. I really liked how it felt, and I can really see myself riding one, but it's really not quite my style. I mean, I could ride one, and be happy doing it, but I really do have my heart set on a sportbike of some sort. I checked insurance rates for the V-Strom and they weren't as cheap as I was hoping with it being a touring type bike. I'm going to just have to keep it in mind though and continue to think about what I want to get and try to find a Kat to try on for size. I also just don't see myself doing any of the slight off-roading that the V-Strom can do. The only time the tires and set up would ever even be used would be going up and down my driveway, and for the most part would be wasted in any other type of riding I'm likely to do.

Sagan,
              Yeah, I was really suprised by the guy. When I was sitting on the SV650S, he was actually steering me towards the naked version, saying that the insurance would be a little bit less for me.
              I agree that the SV wasn't super comfy, but if wasn't as bad as I suspected it would. With it being a smaller bike, it really did seem kind of attached to me kinda because of how my knees fit into the spots on the side of the tank.
              The V-Strom didn't seem too horribly big, but it wasn't small either for sure. I just fit so well. It's really not the type of bike I was looking for though. I'm going to have to think long and hard on it. I really need to find a Katana to sit on

Mrock,
              Thanks for the tip. If I decide to buy new from them, which I kinda doubt I will for money reasons, I will keep a close eye on that, or try to arrange financing through my bank prior to buying th bike.

ThazKat,
              The VFR was pretty sweet looking, and I really like that one sided swingarm. The things that me lean away from the VFR they had up there were the price seemed a little bit high(maybe), and I've heard about the valve issue that cyberpoet mentioned, and I can't afford a high maintenance cost bike What did you mean by saying that you would take either one in contrast to the Kat?

WildKat
              They had a nice SV1000 there that is a 2003 leftover that is bronze colored and had the full fairing thrown on for free, that the guy seemed to really be willing to deal on. I just can't put myself on something that has that much torque at this point though. I wish the SVs were just a bit larger.

Comment

I'll tell you what, those SV's may be comfy to sit on, but remember, they are gona put out a lot of vibration compared to the Kat. And if they have a SV1000s left over, and it is a good price, it may be a real steal. Just pull the fairings off, learn to ride it, then throw them back on once you are comfy
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

I'd be tempted by the SV1000 if it wasn't for it being a new bike, that is probably a little bit much for me. I'm probably going to go back a few times and look at the SVs again...decisions decisions, lol.

I guess my main concerns about the SV at this point would be the size, and the fact that I don't want my girlfriend/probable fiance to bitch about me getting a smaller bike, which I guess leads right back to size, and seating position. The SV is definately a smaller sized bike, but I'm not sure if it's too small, that's the question I suppose. I probably need to go sit on one again and maybe have my gf take a couple pics of me on it so I can see if I look like too big while I'm sitting on it. I also like the idea of going longer distances, so I'm not sure how that would work out for me. Alabama has some really beautiful spots and historic areas that look like good scenic riding spots. When I've gone there in my truck, I always see all the touring guys riding out there.

Comment

If you are really set on the kat, just call around to a few dealers and see what they got instock.
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Yeah, I really need to do that. I want to go out and feel how comfortable they really are. I really want a 750, but I'm kinda starting to think about the 600 for availability and insurance reasons, so I need to make sure I wouldn't be cramped on a 600 before making that final decision.

I'm getting desperate here guys, especially after going to the dealership last weekend, I am so ready to just go to my bank and get a loan to go ahead and get one. I could totally afford the payments (on a used one anyways), and insurance would be a bitch, but I could deal with it I guess..it's more just a matter of me having to make the right decisions for my personal situation.

I need to get out of some credit card debt (not bad really, $2,700) that I let myself get into before my financial situation got better, I also need to do a couple other things. I also want to take the MSF before I ride, so that's about $220 between the cost of the class and two nights hotel stay(there's not a class close by so I'd have to drive a little ways to get to the one I want to take). I could do all of these things I think, but it'd take longer to pay off the credit card, and all the other things I need to do. I can't stand the idea of making irresponsible decisions, so thats where a lot of my problem comes in. I just paid my place off (It's a mobile home, but it's a fairly nice one and it's mine, at 22 years old, and it's on 80 acres of land that while I don't own, I have full rights and access to, private lake and all), so that's extra money each month. My girlfriend also expects me to get her this draft horse that she's been wanting, so it's just a big ole pain in the ass. I know you all probably don't have anything to say to this, I'm just venting my frustration at the situation

Anyways, yeah, I need to go check one out and make my decision and then do whatever it takes to get the damned thing.

Comment

g_man500a wrote My girlfriend also expects me to get her this draft horse that she's been wanting, so it's just a big ole pain in the ass. I know you all probably don't have anything to say to this, I'm just venting my frustration at the situation Draft horse nah.. tell her you're getting a Katana 750 instead! Seriously , you should be proud of yourself, your place is paid off. Good for you at 22 years old, give yourself a pat on the back . Just take your time and shop around and I'm sur you'll find something.
                        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Thanks man, I appreciate that

I actually did get the chance to finally sit on a Katana this last weekend. It was wrecked...but the seat, bars and pegs were intact, so that's all that matters, lol. I went to the really small privately owned shop here in town and was talking to the guy and mentioned how I would like to have something to ride, as well as something to work on here and there some day and he was like "I have a Katana back here that might make a good project bike". Went back and took a look and after looking at it, I wouldn't even imagine trying to take it on as a project bike, but I sat on it just to see how the ergos feel. It was pretty comfortable. It was a 750, which is my preference, but I am somewhat considering a 600 as well, so I need to find one of those to check out now.

The lady ended up selling the Percheron draft horse out from under us, so I don't have to worry about that at least for a little bit until my gf finds some other horse that she just cannot live without, so maybe I'll have enough time to get the money and grab a bike before she does, lol.

Thanks again

Comment

g_man500a wrote
                            The lady ended up selling the Percheron draft horse out from under us, so I don't have to worry about that at least for a little bit until my gf finds some other horse that she just cannot live without, so maybe I'll have enough time to get the money and grab a bike before she does, lol.
                            That's the spirit
                            R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

I'm just really glad that she is supportive of my love of motorcycles. There's about a 90% chance that I will be marrying this girl, so that's a good thing for the future, hopefully she'll still feel the same way after I go down for the first time. She really wants me to get a V-Strom after she saw the one we looked at at the shop, but I love the look of a sportbike.

It usually takes her about a month and a half to find another horse that she absolutely has to have, so I have to rush, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X