X

Slow air leak in my tire

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow air leak in my tire

There is a small air leak in my back tire. Am I okay if I add Fix-A-Flat or a resin to stop the leak?
    Grab life by the horns and punch it in the nose!

sigpic

Some people I am sure will tell you this is ok. I however would not drive very far on a tire that has been plugged or ever had a hole in it. Not worth the risk for a couple hundred dollars.
    Bling....

Comment

I've heard stories of that green slim fix flat stuff not working. I have been riding on a couple of plugs in the rear for about 1300 miles. I don't have the cash to get new conti road attack( they r awesome) I would of replaced for ease of mind a while ago if I did have $$. Also I've had tire valve cap leak air before it was on of the kind that show you when you are over or under 32 psi and 36psi
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rangerman83 View Post
        There is a small air leak in my back tire. Am I okay if I add Fix-A-Flat or a resin to stop the leak?
        NO!

Do not use any liquid/gel products to seal your tires!

If you have to patch/plug it, use a proper rubber plug repair (preferably a mushroom plug) and depending on the brand, a surface-patch on the inside as well. Then order a replacement tire and ride on the one you've got until it shows up, taking extra special care to check the tire pressure at least daily to make sure you're not still leaking, and to inspect the tire daily (physically) for any bubbling or signs of internal delamination -- plus keep your speeds down to about 80 MPH and under.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Define slow leak. Have you found the leak? Are you running with valve caps, have you reseated the valve core? Most of the slow leaks (1-2psi a day) I have seen, have been valve related.
          Last edited by thetable; 08-21-2009, 02:04 PM.
          Pics
          Pics
          No pics yet
          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

absolutely, fix a flat can and will explode and in a car makes for a bad day and on a bike, makes for a hospital trip. so in other words NO!

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
            NO!

If you have to patch/plug it, use a proper rubber plug repair (preferably a mushroom plug) and depending on the brand, a surface-patch on the inside as well. Then order a replacement tire and ride on the one you've got until it shows up, taking extra special care to check the tire pressure at least daily to make sure you're not still leaking, and to inspect the tire daily (physically) for any bubbling or signs of internal delamination -- plus keep your speeds down to about 80 MPH and under.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            R.I.P. Marc- You will be missed!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
              NO!

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              but 80's a tad fast don't ya think ?

Comment

Working...
              X