X

Business Idea Give your input

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business Idea Give your input

The business idea i have is for a Mesh mod, Pre cut to fit along with either a Glue or Epoxy for any model motorcycle that it will look good or fit on that has a open port for it to go under. It can come in the Stainless steel look or black or painted to any color you specify. It will save you from wasting materials & cutting it yourself, and the price will not hurt your pocketbook at all! Price will range from 5 to 12 dollars

Please put your input on this, and tell me if you would buy this product or not.

I would...can you get me the mod in black?? Good luck on your business venture.
    1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

IMHO, those that like this mod have no issue gathering the materials on their own and custom fitting it.

That said, you never know, a lot of people are lazy . but I would highly recommend a full market analysis and a business plan to be written and reviewed by the Small Business Administration before committing any money to this or any other endeavor.

Comment

Since I HATE the mesh mod, I would not. Your milage may vary.

I am really not sure how much demand you would get for this. Seems to me that the only bikes I have ever seen this mod done on in mass has been the Katana.
        Ron
        MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Kat
          IMHO, those that like this mod have no issue gathering the materials on their own and custom fitting it.

That said, you never know, a lot of people are lazy . but I would highly recommend a full market analysis and a business plan to be written and reviewed by the Small Business Administration before committing any money to this or any other endeavor.
          no offense intended, but the only thing I really agree with completely is that alot of ppl are are lazy...hehe.
          As for the rest of it, just doing the market analysis and a review by the SBA can be a pita and time consuming. It is not like this is a complicated item to manufacture. You buy a piece of mesh and cut it out.

If I were you, I would just cut the one out for the kat and stick it on ebay. You could visit the local dealers and have a look at what other bikes might benefit from the mesh mod, than buy an old damaged fairing from ebay and cut a mesh to fit that.....then sell the mesh on ebay. A sheet of mesh and maybe some old beat up fairing as templates are the only real expense. If it takes off and becomes a hit, then all you have to do is find a shop who can stamp them out for you.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Good idea, but it seems to offer any variety will call for you to get up close to a huge assortment of sportbikes to take measurements. Don't know if a dealer will allow you to do this, but it would speed up your research. Good Luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe

no offense intended, but the only thing I really agree with completely is that alot of ppl are are lazy...hehe.
              As for the rest of it, just doing the market analysis and a review by the SBA can be a pita and time consuming. It is not like this is a complicated item to manufacture. You buy a piece of mesh and cut it out.

If I were you, I would just cut the one out for the kat and stick it on ebay. You could visit the local dealers and have a look at what other bikes might benefit from the mesh mod, than buy an old damaged fairing from ebay and cut a mesh to fit that.....then sell the mesh on ebay. A sheet of mesh and maybe some old beat up fairing as templates are the only real expense. If it takes off and becomes a hit, then all you have to do is find a shop who can stamp them out for you.

Easy to say when it's not your money.

Disagree all you want, I have a Small Business, I've learned some things the hard way. The SBA has money they are DYING to give away, the Market Analysis and Business plan should answer his original question. Then again, I am looking at it from the can I make a lot of money from this venture side of things, and not, can I make a little extra Beer Money here and there. Sorry, but sound business fundamentals don't change just because the idea is simple. Simple ideas should mean that the Market Analysis and Business pan can be smaller and more simple, but they are still needed.

As for the SBA, you don't have to use their services, but I still suggest having someone that knows something about business look at a market analysis and Business Plan for you. Personally, I find the SBA a great tool and an ally.

There are some ideas that are so timely and popular that people making a killing without knowing a thing about business. I'm pretty sure this idea is not one of those, so a little up front planning could go a long way toward it's success or failure.

My $.02, you can keep the change.

Comment

I really don't think there would be a high demand for the mesh mod and thats because it's an easy mod to do. Any guy who wrenches on the weekend would be able to do it in a few hours. I think people will pay for a mod that would be a little more complicated to do and if you can make it easier for them to do it in less time that it would take them to do it, then I think they might buy it. Like Mojoe said "people are lazy" Just my 2 cents worth.
                R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Might work, might not.

Asking someone who has done something like this, cough BraadaJim cough might bring some insight into dealing with the general public with a new product. I Know there's been a few here at KR and a lot of KP who were very impatient about thier orders being processed.
                  I don't recall ever seeing anyone bashing the cowls on the forum for what ever reason but I'm sure Jim has some interesting stories after selling the cowls for 2+ years now.

Creese started out on KP then moved to ebay with his plate brackets, or was it the other way around? He might beable to give some pointers.

Just remember don't bite off more than you can chew and swamp yourself with work than you can manage.
                  Kyle

Comment

Disagree all you want, I have a Small Business, I've learned some things the hard way. The SBA has money they are DYING to give away, the Market Analysis and Business plan should answer his original question. Then again, I am looking at it from the can I make a lot of money from this venture side of things, and not, can I make a little extra Beer Money here and there. Sorry, but sound business fundamentals don't change just because the idea is simple. Simple ideas should mean that the Market Analysis and Business pan can be smaller and more simple, but they are still needed.

As for the SBA, you don't have to use their services, but I still suggest having someone that knows something about business look at a market analysis and Business Plan for you. Personally, I find the SBA a great tool and an ally.

There are some ideas that are so timely and popular that people making a killing without knowing a thing about business. I'm pretty sure this idea is not one of those, so a little up front planning could go a long way toward it's success or failure.

I did not mean it to sound like your advice was not good advice......cuz it is if the idea for the business is a solid one. But this idea he has is "iffy".
                    You can not start a business that sells a new product until you have some prototypes.....you have to test the market first. I was only suggesting he do the testing first. You say it is easy to say when it is not my money.....but what kind of money are you talking about? A sheet of mesh and some tin-snips might set you back all of what.....$30-40?
                    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Ive seen a vendor on ebay doing this exact thing. I honestly cant remember the name, but basically he'd precut the mesh to fit whatever bike you had and provide the adhesive too and instructions for doing the mod.

Comment

I did not mean it to sound like your advice was not good advice......cuz it is if the idea for the business is a solid one. But this idea he has is "iffy".
                        You can not start a business that sells a new product until you have some prototypes.....you have to test the market first. I was only suggesting he do the testing first. You say it is easy to say when it is not my money.....but what kind of money are you talking about? A sheet of mesh and some tin-snips might set you back all of what.....$30-40?
                        This is starting to resemble looking into mirrors on oposite walls (Quotes within quotes)

Indeed, I agree, again, I was thinkin much bigger. Throwing a couple of kits on eBay won't cost much money. If you can prove the idea is solid, then, before any significant investment, you need a plan.

Comment

More and more I find myself agreeing with my brother from the Great White North :P

Having had a small business (kinda successful till some morons flew planes into a couple of buildings in NY), the idea is only one part of a business venture. A good business plan will identify all the others.

Think of it this way:
                          You're going to ask someone for money to fund your venture. All they're interested in is how you're going to pay them back. You see the vision, they wanna see the nuts and bolts. Production, distribution, sales channels, suppliers, workforce, delivery schedules, resalers, e-commerce opportunities, marketing and advertising, 1, 3, 5 year plan, competition, sales force, inventory.

Seems daunting but that's what it takes. If you're going to go it alone and use your own funds to start and run it, most of that stuff can be simple. When using someone else's money you gotta dot the I's and cross all the T's.

The big reason is because most lenders (or venture groups) do not expect you to turn a profit for at least a year, that's why the "year plans" are so important.

I suggest keeping it small to start, seeing where you fit in the market, build up a client base and learn from them. "Beer Money" for a while until you see if the market is large enough to support and sustain the kind of growth that warrants a business loan.

BTW: I'd concentrate on the "BLING" bikes, too. ZX-12's, Busas, power cruisers (VTX, etc.). And if you can do some kind of a mesh mod for the HD crowd, you're looking a lots of beer money. :P
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm
                            I suggest keeping it small to start, seeing where you fit in the market, build up a client base and learn from them. "Beer Money" for a while until you see if the market is large enough to support and sustain the kind of growth that warrants a business loan.
                            All of which plays into a good Market Analysis.

My original point was to do these things before committing any money to them.

A don't consider a few hundred dollars any kind of a money commitment.

Comment

Thanks guys for all of the helpful post, and this little business idea is not for making me a multi millionare, just a lil bit of extra cash

Comment

Working...
                              X