X

How to take a passenger?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KeWLKaT View Post
    So that means the passenger has to pay attention to what is going on... But it won't work in, say, the sort of traffic where you can brake anytime to avoid a car.
    I am prone at any given time to perform an emergency stop scenario on my bike, with my wife as a passenger. I never know she's there, as she is more than able to keep herself stationary by using one hand on the grab bar, gripping the saddle with her thighs/legs, and in exteam situations pressing the small of my back.

The seat isn't something you just "sit" on... your straddling it. A passenger should use their legs to hold thier "seat". Upper body then can be easily controled with holding the grab bar in most situations as your only stoping yourself from pivoting, as your butt isn't moving.

As mentioned previously, smooth accelerations and stops helps to make it easier on your passenger. At the same time, if you have something suddently make you need to do an emergency manuever.... you don't want the passenger acting like "loose cargo" on the back potentially making the situation much more dangerous.

Grip the seat, grab the "grab bar" and hold on.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by KeWLKaT View Post
      That's an idea, that way there will be some damping to the applied force on my back Might just get her one of those kids' harnesses hahaha

I guess i'll have to try and calm down on the downshifting then On another note, going to Sherbrooke sucks, went there the other day, in the morning on the way, on the 10, you have the sun in your eyes. In the afternoon, on the way back on the 10, you have the sun in your eyes. lol
      ya, the 10 does suck for that. any hwy running east to west sucks for that....especially flatland. that is why I avoid it if I can.

back to the passenger thing....it is all fine and dandy to sit here and tell you what the passenger should do, but the reality of it, riding passenger sucks. compared to them, we have it made.....so we shouldn't really complain about comfort too much, as it is usually worse for them. They have to really enjoy the ride enough to put up with the discomfort.

And all the advice about squeezing the seat with the legs...are you kidding me? there is only so much of that, that they can do. on my bike, that would mean squeezing me too, as their knees on at my butt cheeks. a bit does help, but in many cases it just isn't possible. especially for someone on say the back of a gixxer, where they are practically in a fetal position.

My advice....if you have a significant other who isn't into riding passenger so much that they can text message while doing it, then fix them up with a back rest. That is why I always have my rack installed, and slap on the top case when I carry someone. It makes them feel more secure, and it is comfortable. If I did not have my luggage, I would build a back rest that folds down when not in use. would be super easy to do. I already have a set of plans for one....of my own design. Don't ask me for them....for now they remain mine. I even have a version with fold down arm rests, that can also be used to hang on to during stops. That is how often I carry passengers....to have come up with something to make it more comfortable for them...and me. It is "quick install" and all.....designed around my 1100, but could be adapted to any bike. It is important to me that my passenger enjoys the ride as much as possible.

personally, I hate riding on the back. wayyyy too uncomfortable for me. I did it maybe 3 times in my life....that was enough.
      Last edited by Mojoe; 08-16-2009, 03:44 PM.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
      X